Looking for step sequencer where you can set step on/off via midi notes

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So I've been poking around and I haven't been able to find this...

I'm looking for a step sequencer where you can assign midi notes to turn steps on and off.

So I could do something like have midi ch16 be a "control channel" and set it up so that white keys basically act like the step buttons on an x0x type drum machine or step seq. Obviously there would be some other control mechanism to enter the actual note value that plays per step.

I've seen a few "groovebox" type VST's that have it, but I don't want to spend >$100 just to get that one feature.

I'm on Windows 10, running Reaper, if that matters.

I can't recall ever seeing that feature. Of course you could build your own in something like MaxMSP or Reaktor...
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

You could check if that is possible in BlueArp.

deastman wrote:I can't recall ever seeing that feature. Of course you could build your own in something like MaxMSP or Reaktor...
Well, I'm on Reaper, so it would more likely be something like JS or maybe Bidule as VST... But really hoping to be able to avoid it if possible...

chk071 wrote:You could check if that is possible in BlueArp.
I have BlueArp, but haven't seen that ability. If someone knows if/how, love to know!

ERA2 lets you MIDI-Learn almost anything.

(In this case this would be Settings2/DirectStepAccess/Trigger.)

If you learn say C3, then C3 will set/unset the Trigger for the first step.

The rest of the octave (+4) will automatically do the rest of the steps.

Its velocity based though, which means above 63 will set a Trigger and below 63 will unset it.

(Minimum is 1 though, i.e. ERA2 does not respond to 0.)

So technically its possible to set/unset steps via MIDI, but it only works via velocities.

(If thats not generally a problem you can use another octave +4 for setting Note Pitch, another for setting Output Velocity, another for setting Gate Time, etcetera. These things are of course much better controllable with a slider or knob rather than keys, but if there was no other way, it would work too.)

Modulys might be able to do that,I can map the steps on/off to a track control,can that be mapped to midi key then?

http://www.raxntrax.com/

Is sonicebytes still alive,links look dead for me?

ere2learn wrote:Modulys might be able to do that,I can map the steps on/off to a track control,can that be mapped to midi key then?

http://www.raxntrax.com/
If that's true, that would be awesome, as I've been dying to try that monster out. That ability may push me to get off my butt and try it. It just looks like such a beast to learn. :)

I just found a second way to do it in ERA2.

If you learn Settings2/DirectStepAccess/Step, you can control the step-mute function.

(Triggers remain set, but muted steps wont play.)

Still via velocity though, so if youre looking for a direct on/off toggle regardless of velocity it wont help either.

ere2learn wrote:Is sonicebytes still alive,links look dead for me?
"you can buy ERA if you really know what you are doing!!
Note that there is no support for ERA!!!
There will never be a 64bit version!! "
https://sugar-bytes.de/shop/index.php?showsonic=1

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
Sculptures ScreenDream Mastodon

DruMunkey wrote:
I have BlueArp, but haven't seen that ability. If someone knows if/how, love to know!
You can use Reaper's midi learn to bind a note to velocity in toggle mode, pressing a key then toggles between 0 an 127 velocity. I use CC buttons on my controller with BlueARP like this, but notes work too.

.jon wrote:
DruMunkey wrote:
You can use Reaper's midi learn to bind a note to velocity in toggle mode, pressing a key then toggles between 0 an 127 velocity. I use CC buttons on my controller with BlueARP like this, but notes work too.
Eeeeeeeenteresting.... I'll have to give that a try. Kinda weird usage though as BlueArp needs notes fed to it since it's an arp... But that might lead to some interesting results.

Thanks for the idea!

Roll your own 'assignments': Bome MIDI Translator Classic
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

DruMunkey wrote:
.jon wrote:
DruMunkey wrote:
Eeeeeeeenteresting.... I'll have to give that a try. Kinda weird usage though as BlueArp needs notes fed to it since it's an arp... But that might lead to some interesting results.

Thanks for the idea!
It's a pattern sequencer, but yeah, feeding notes to it might feel a bit strange with drums. I use it to sequence synths, and arranging the song is really intuitive and visually clear with midi items driving the sequence.

Return to “Instruments”