play live?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi guys,

My music doesnt really relate to a genre. Maybe it sounds like jean michel jarre? I always thought I cannot play live as I am not a great pianist, and uh... there is no vocals or band. Nor do I think that a venue wants to hear game like music. Do you think there is an audience for this kind of tunes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x71uSzAV4JA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vs3Kzn-avGQ

And how would you start out?

Are you kidding? (that's rethorical, I know you are not). First off your music is really nice and full of emotions. And yes, I could get carried away because when LBA came out I was in my best teen years and even if I didn't play it (guilty as charged) it reminds me so much of that specific Amiga/PC times in which I had the best weekends playing.

But no, I am not getting carried away by that, I really think that your music has things to say and if you want to play it live, you totally should. To start I think Berlin would be definitely willing to hear you..this is where I would start:

1) If you need an ensemble, get it assembled and prepare all the parts. The more lively it is, the best for the audience (although the mix of pre-recorded and played is up to you, there are people having more than one simple track being played in the background and they still go out and play live, others prefer to do it 100% live as in "you stop playing, the music stops". I am a fan of the latter.

2) Get ready to not get paid, this is not for your music, it's a general thing, sadly the budgets are at an all-time low and the money you get is probably going to be from the audience in your hat, and that could be initially from 5 to 20 euros per night. Yes, people in Berlin are "poor" (whatever that means..that's another topic). I definitely wish you to break this rule and hopefully you will get enough to sustain your own live sessions, but what I am saying is be prepared to be able to sustain it yourself through other means.

And if you come to Berlin, let me know maybe I can invite you at the studio I work and you can shoot a simple promo video there of you guys playing!
Markus
Studio manager by day..sound engineer by night!

Puppi wrote:Are you kidding? (that's rethorical, I know you are not). First off your music is really nice and full of emotions. And yes, I could get carried away because when LBA came out I was in my best teen years and even if I didn't play it (guilty as charged) it reminds me so much of that specific Amiga/PC times in which I had the best weekends playing.

But no, I am not getting carried away by that, I really think that your music has things to say and if you want to play it live, you totally should. To start I think Berlin would be definitely willing to hear you..this is where I would start:

1) If you need an ensemble, get it assembled and prepare all the parts. The more lively it is, the best for the audience (although the mix of pre-recorded and played is up to you, there are people having more than one simple track being played in the background and they still go out and play live, others prefer to do it 100% live as in "you stop playing, the music stops". I am a fan of the latter.

2) Get ready to not get paid, this is not for your music, it's a general thing, sadly the budgets are at an all-time low and the money you get is probably going to be from the audience in your hat, and that could be initially from 5 to 20 euros per night. Yes, people in Berlin are "poor" (whatever that means..that's another topic). I definitely wish you to break this rule and hopefully you will get enough to sustain your own live sessions, but what I am saying is be prepared to be able to sustain it yourself through other means.

And if you come to Berlin, let me know maybe I can invite you at the studio I work and you can shoot a simple promo video there of you guys playing!
Hey thanks man! Cool input, you motivate me to try it.
First of all I am thinking of making two kinds of sets. I think either I should play energetic and upbeat spaced out music, or a quiet more piano based set. I think it's difficult to combine both :\

I just wonder a couple of things:
1. what kind of venue is open to space music that doesn't fall into a specific genre?
2. how would it look if i just play the backing track and improvise over it? xD I notice guys like jarre and vangelis don't play every little thing live either, but at least they are icons and known.'I'd look weird just playing a flute patch on a synth and no 'show'.

I do not think an mc would really work. Maybe if I add a drummer it could sorta look good?

oh and playing in berlin sounds fantastic :D

You're welcome!

For venues I wouldn't overthink things because in big cities there are going to be small clubs that welcome literally any kind of music. Their motto is to keep things diverse and people go there because they know they won't get bored by the same genre every week and they get to see indie bands and artists.

As I said - the downside is the pay (in the sense of financial support that would help your touring expenses) - but the audience is there and they are going to listen.

I can speak more for Berlin because that's where I live and work and as a studio manager and aspiring sound engineer I've seen many people come to the studio with not-so-clear ideas about where to take the music and how, so the team I am in often works to build that as well, for a band or artist.

For the ensemble, which was your second question, you are definitely free to do one-man or have more people, it can be interesting both ways. Personally I am never too fond of one-man projects live and if I had to choose I would prefer the interaction of a group of people.. It adds to the interplay and vibe, for sure.

You could think of you playing the main keyboard parts, a drummer playing an electronic kit (easy to adjust volume in any venue, easy to customize with sounds, easy to carry around) and somebody else playing bass or a weird instrument of some sort that can be hooked up electronically to provide a specific sound for each song. This will keep things interesting for the audience and you will still be able to run backing tracks with a laptop or simpler player (I personally advice to keep things simple and a laptop is already too much)

If you have specific cues you can use a click track with vocal cues that only you and the band hear, with in-Ear monitors. This way you guys get vocal cues that you prerecord where you are literally saying things like "epic tom part coming up in two..three..four" and bam! No one gets lost.

Ideas ideas ideas eh? ;)
Markus

Puppi wrote:You're welcome!

For venues I wouldn't overthink things because in big cities there are going to be small clubs that welcome literally any kind of music. Their motto is to keep things diverse and people go there because they know they won't get bored by the same genre every week and they get to see indie bands and artists.

As I said - the downside is the pay (in the sense of financial support that would help your touring expenses) - but the audience is there and they are going to listen.

I can speak more for Berlin because that's where I live and work and as a studio manager and aspiring sound engineer I've seen many people come to the studio with not-so-clear ideas about where to take the music and how, so the team I am in often works to build that as well, for a band or artist.

For the ensemble, which was your second question, you are definitely free to do one-man or have more people, it can be interesting both ways. Personally I am never too fond of one-man projects live and if I had to choose I would prefer the interaction of a group of people.. It adds to the interplay and vibe, for sure.

You could think of you playing the main keyboard parts, a drummer playing an electronic kit (easy to adjust volume in any venue, easy to customize with sounds, easy to carry around) and somebody else playing bass or a weird instrument of some sort that can be hooked up electronically to provide a specific sound for each song. This will keep things interesting for the audience and you will still be able to run backing tracks with a laptop or simpler player (I personally advice to keep things simple and a laptop is already too much)

If you have specific cues you can use a click track with vocal cues that only you and the band hear, with in-Ear monitors. This way you guys get vocal cues that you prerecord where you are literally saying things like "epic tom part coming up in two..three..four" and bam! No one gets lost.

Ideas ideas ideas eh? ;)
Great ideas!

I am sorting out what set list i should do already :D
thanks for the input, this really helps!

You're welcome! Glad I could bring some ideas.
Markus

I would definitely try to put a band together. Playing live is simply more fun for both you and the audience when you share it with others.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

kinda thinking here it will be me playing a flute patch over the backing track :D

:')

deastman wrote:I would definitely try to put a band together. Playing live is simply more fun for both you and the audience when you share it with others.
that does sound nice! I would like to have a drummer as it gives things a more organic sound

Jesse Gorter wrote:
deastman wrote:I would definitely try to put a band together. Playing live is simply more fun for both you and the audience when you share it with others.
that does sound nice! I would like to have a drummer as it gives things a more organic sound
If it was me, I'd have a drummer playing an electronic kit, and me plus two additional keyboard players. The keyboard players would also all have some sort of drum trigger controllers, so you could have parts of the show where everyone is just banging on stuff. Depending on the music, the keyboardist might also play guitar or bass at certain times. I would also have the entire performance sequenced in Ableton, so if a certain musician wasn't available for a show, their parts could be played by backing tracks.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Cool ideas again! Some weird looking midi instrument might be cool as well, instead of traditional midi keyboard controllers. Not a keytar maybe but you get the idea. This will build the stage image and coupled with good stage presence you have a show right there ;)
Markus

This is my plan for now:

1. Compose a setlist for 30 to 60 min
2. Re render those tracks in loseless wav files if needed (some are old and i only have an mp3 :( )
3. Get cool synth to play live with or a weird instrument ( suggestions? I can play keys but not else )
4. Find a venue that does weird electronic music live
5. See others bands there for ideas
6. Get booked to try out a show

Sounds good? :)

so it took me a while but I got a live set ready to go :)

anyone here experience in finding the right venues? It's basicaly me doing music like Vangelis/Jarre mixed with dance influence and it's all kinda spacy.

What I've done before is just visit the local clubs and ask.
Or google "[your city] open mic night".

It might help us to know what continent / country / region you live.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”