beginner plug ins

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hey,

was just wondering what the best plug ins would be for a beginner or just essential ones aside from massive and say serum. just want to know what I should have to get started. I'm currently using fl studio 12 for my daw. I started on logic/ableton 8 then 9 suite my mac broke so I'm on fl for now.
I produce anything and everything.

https://soundcloud.com/frvnkii

Sylenth1 would be a pretty nice one to begin with.

What edition of Fl studio do you have? If you have Sytrus you have a great FM synth. It will have a new GUI and be resizable in the next version of FL. If you have Harmless you have a great additive synth that is easy to tweak. If you have Harmor you have one of the best Additive synths available.

Sawer is awesome as well.
Play it by ear

Fabfilter twin2, Circle2, Hive.
dedication to flying

If you have Massive, Serum and the thing in FL Studio, you have plenty for a beginner.

I know, not the answer you wanted.

Well, IMO Serum is similiar to Massive, just better :P Should be able to make enough sounds out of them.

Sytrus and mentioned Harmor / Hamless are great synths, but no way they are suitable for beginners. FM is rocket sience. Harmor is probably the most difficult synth to handle that's not meant for experiemental music.

Sylenth1 is still beginner's standard. Everything clean and simple, no menu diving.
Last edited by DJ Warmonger on Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

frvnkie wrote:hey,

was just wondering what the best plug ins would be for a beginner or just essential ones aside from massive and say serum. just want to know what I should have to get started. I'm currently using fl studio 12 for my daw. I started on logic/ableton 8 then 9 suite my mac broke so I'm on fl for now.

honestly FL Studio has everything you need with it. Synths, effects, etc.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

These are the real beginners plug-ins:

PG-8X (free/donationware)

TAL U-NO-62 (free)

TAL U-NO-LX V2 (commercial)

Simple and straightforward

For slightly more involved try Dune BE (free DL after registration)

Enjoy! .:)

Bazille, reaktor6, oddity2

exmatproton wrote:Bazille, reaktor6
Why not Max/MSP?
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

exmatproton wrote:Bazille, reaktor6, oddity2

Hardly beginners stuff .:roll:

zxant wrote:
exmatproton wrote:Bazille, reaktor6, oddity2

Hardly beginners stuff .:roll:

Really...... :ud:

OP: "...or just essential ones aside from massive and say serum."

But seriously, just stick with free stuff for a while. All these expensive plugs aren't going anywhere and there is a lot of seriously good free stuff available. Maybe start with this http://www.kvraudio.com/product/synth1- ... da/details and there is a TON more out there.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

zxant wrote: 
TAL U-NO-LX V2 (commercial)
this is exactly what you want. not tried the free one, but LX is cheap.

the sound is simple yet spectacular, the interface has everything you need to start getting to grips with the basics.

easy to use, great old school sound. it has lots of free (and pay) presets.

also, get a midi keyboard if you haven't. very important. testing patches with a keyboard is the way to go. i didn't have one for ages, relying on the piano roll. BIG mistake. i can't play for shit FYI.

don't make the mistake of keep on buying stuff when you don't get the sound you are looking for in your head.

get the TAL and a midi keyboard. anything else is a waste of time and money and will likely only confuse and discourage you.
Last edited by rubez on Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

recursive one wrote:
exmatproton wrote:Bazille, reaktor6
Why not Max/MSP?
:lol:

Or C++ and DSP programming :wheee:

Personally, I started learning with Synth1. Nothing else, just Synth1 for one month till I got it and could make some few bass, lead, pad sounds. That was for subtractive synthesis, then tried FM synthesis with Hexter (it was free vst for some time, then for copyrights issues or GPL license, it discontinued for Windows), but I didn't get it with the FM, so I gave up to understand everything about it,and stayed only know some few tricks instead.

So, Yes, Synth1 or as was mentioned Dune BE is an excellent one to learn from. Then try some of the good free ones as well and the simple ones that comes with FL Studio (like 3X Osc. it is with three oscillators and it would be a good start for you) . I don't suggest Massive or Serum for a beginner really. Harmor as well, is a complex synth. Those maybe at a later stage.

Return to “Instruments”