Tony Rolando (MakeNoise) on East Coast and West Coast Synthesis

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Here's Tony @ MakeNoise giving a brief lecture on the East Coast and West Coast Synthesis types...
at something called 'ContinuuCon', which seems to be a Haken Continuum convention.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJ97tOfU6Io

I'll watch in a minute (not drunk enough)

But the first time I ever heard about this e/w "synth" garbage was "I dream of wires" which though not a bad doc, was a self-suck of hypocrisy. Too bad too, because both have their advantages.

Just like r vs d or analog vs digital or trent reznor vs himself (or himself) :lol:

Can't say I could watch all of it, but pretty much makes my previous comments........GOLDEN! :lol:

Who cares? Make music (or what you think of it) but stop wasting my time with these incredibly boring narcissistic videos that say nothing, inform in NO WAY and (as he's surrounded by a plethora of of digital/analog things) tries to bore people to death with a big glass of "shut up"

Now, since I KNOW you love cats..........

"Are you kidding?"

I feel sorry for you, that you get drunk - presumably on your own - and troll.

:lol: Yeah, it's a total troll :nutter:

Some boring idiot whines about e/w coast synths and the then another trolls about the guy who gets how stupid it is ;)

Anyways, it's why people don't respond :)

You are a very sad and apparently lonely individual.

Yeah, I don't get the trolling either.

Tony Rolando is my favourite HW synth designer and the lecture is easy enough for non-synth-people to grasp. There's also nothing pretentious whatsoever about it. I've shared it with my staff, as some are still wondering why I buy all those Make Noise modules.

I love Tony's work. I've got an 0-Coast on order right now! :)
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Urs, you are the first person I read to articulate the "patch as composition" idea even though it's actually fairly obvious in hindsight. It was funny to hear that same idea presented in that video.

@troll, I don't know what is narcissistic about presenting historical context for a product. I thought I dream of wires was pretty good, although the video editing bothered me. This is no different than trying to find the origins of Classical composition within the Folk music of the time. There are reasons certain genres of music emerge. There are then reasons why people begin to bend and/or purposefully ignore those genres. Some people are just interested in the academic part of music. It's also very NON-Narcissistic to give credit to the people that influenced your creations.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

SJ_Digriz wrote:Urs, you are the first person I read to articulate the "patch as composition" idea even though it's actually fairly obvious in hindsight. It was funny to hear that same idea presented in that video.
Hehe, it's been around for a while... I've been soaking it up for a few weeks, hence I talk about it a lot.

Having a different POV and being colorful is not trolling.

Boring.

If it's your thing, fine. But as mentioned, I'm not into this snobby east/west thing. It's just a way for geeks to try and be bangers :hihi:

BTW daags, it worked! Got interest in your thread nobody cared about before.....that'll be 10 dollars please.

If it's your thing, fine. But as mentioned, I'm not into this snobby east/west thing. It's just a way for geeks to try and be bangers :hihi:
calling people snobby for being interested in things is ignorant.
BTW daags, it worked! Got interest in your thread nobody cared about before.....that'll be 10 dollars please.
I was interested before your comments .. I watched the video, enjoyed it, learned a little from it and appreciate someone who has the intelligence and determination to try and make a living in a difficult market space.

EDIT: Also, I have no axe to grind with you either (no modular nerds were harmed) .. I'm good with you not being interested. Not everything is for everyone.

There is a difference between making a distinction and making a value comparison. It's important to know how the two approaches have influenced synth design but I don't think anyone is saying that one approach is better than another. Sure, there are those who prefer Bob's approach to Don's and vice-versa (and the tension between those types makes for a compelling documentary) but I don't think anyone would argue that both had a huge impact on the way synths are designed today.

That's why I enjoy listening to Tony's perspective... having worked for Moog Music before starting Make Noise, he is intimately familiar with both approaches. Listen to the man, he's totally humble about what he does.

The more interesting conversation, is as Urs mentioned, the concept of patching as composition. It's the way I've approached music and sound design for more than 5 years now. The music comes from the way the synth interacts with itself and with me, almost like a counter-point to my input. It's a remarkable thing when a synth patch comes into it's own and seems to react in unpredictable (but still pleasing) ways. It's just a collection of basic components but when they interact in complex ways, it becomes difficult to predict how one thing influences the next, and divergences start to have broader effects than originally anticipated. It doesn't matter who made the synth module (or even if the synth is software or hardware). Until you start patching them together, they're just like pieces to a puzzle. You won't see the picture until they are working together.

Urs, has your opinion changed, regarding low pass gates? :hihi:

LPGs rock

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”