Charlatan 2 Waveform first oscilator

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

In the first oscilator you have have the triange wave that morphs into a saw wave, and the second that morphs from a pulse wave to a square wave am I correct?
When looking at the display of the pulse waveform is it actually changing from a pulse to a square or is it changing the pulse width?

Secondly is there an initial preset for charlatan?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

musicalmemoriesuk wrote:When looking at the display of the pulse waveform is it actually changing from a pulse to a square or is it changing the pulse width?
Square is pulse at 50% width, so yes and yes.
Looks like in manual mode the knob just lets you change from 50% to about 99%, with 0% to 49% and 100% unavailable.
And 1% to 99% if you set it to LFO mode.
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

Im creating a default patch what position should the cut off and resinance dials be im thinking cut off should be far right and resinance should be far left.

musicalmemoriesuk wrote:Im creating a default patch what position should the cut off and resinance dials be im thinking cut off should be far right and resinance should be far left.
There is no "should", but yes, i often start from filter 100% open and 0% resonance, because oscillators are the first section i tweak.
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

Is the Mod Envelope section modulation envelope ? I take it if you chose this in osc 1 its affected by an amp envelope and the mod envelope ? Ive noticed some synths have a filter envelope. In Chartlatans case would you enable this envelope in the filter section instead?

The default preset when you open up Charlatan IS an init preset.

Also, regarding your question: For the 1st oscillator, far left position of the "shape" knob (value 0) for the square waveform is a square wave, any other position is a pulse wave, and you set the pulse width with the position of the "shape" knob. I don't know if it's true, but it appears to me, that you don't know what a pulse is, or what pulse width modulation does. This video shows quite well what happens when you modulate, or control the pulse width:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybUggNytxyA

musicalmemoriesuk wrote:Is the Mod Envelope section modulation envelope ?
Yes.
musicalmemoriesuk wrote: I take it if you chose this in osc 1 its affected by an amp envelope and the mod envelope ?
What it actually means is that the amplitude of oscillator 1 is affected by the amp envelope (that's hardcoded for both oscillators), and you can set the mod envelope in the oscillator section to modulate the shape of the waveform, hence there's a line linking the available modulation options, "man", "env" and "LFO" to the shape knob. I already wrote that as a reply in another of your threads, you might have missed that.
musicalmemoriesuk wrote: Ive noticed some synths have a filter envelope. In Chartlatans case would you enable this envelope in the filter section instead?
No. In Charlatan, you can either the mod envelope, or the LFO to modulate the filter cutoff. The common application would be to let it set to "env", so that the mod envelope modulates the filter cutoff, so the mod envelope acts as the filter envelope.

Im still learning

There are no standards for init patches. Mine simply has the settings I use most often so that I save time, being a lazy bum and all :)
Just don't turn resonance to max on your init 8)

A filter envelope is just a special, pre-routed case of modulation envelope. Most synths today seem to have dedicated filter envelopes, but on hardware (Korg and Moog I think) the more general modulation envelope was quite common.

Thanks for the info and help is appreciated

musicalmemoriesuk wrote:Im still learning
That's cool. :) I think you definitely picked the right synth to learn too. Not a lot of options, but a very classic subtractive design, and a nice sound.

So normally do you use the same setting in the amp envelope as in the mod envelope ? Ie if a d r were all set at the bottom and the sustain was full at the top was the mod envelope be the same ?

So the mod dials in the pitch and filter section is how much these are affected by the mod envelope ? And in the pitch section you can chose if osc1 and or osc2 is affected?

musicalmemoriesuk wrote:So normally do you use the same setting in the amp envelope as in the mod envelope ? Ie if a d r were all set at the bottom and the sustain was full at the top was the mod envelope be the same ?
That is a very common init setting for envelopes, I think it's called gate.

musicalmemoriesuk wrote:So normally do you use the same setting in the amp envelope as in the mod envelope ? Ie if a d r were all set at the bottom and the sustain was full at the top was the mod envelope be the same ?
If you mean on the init preset, then yes: A=0,D=0,S=100%,R=0
On the sounds i program, rarely.
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

Return to “Instruments”