Waves older plugs...time for a new GUI???

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I guess the title of this one says it all. Waves plugs are solid & awesome, but some of the older ones, like say, from the Gold bundle, well they look like Windows 95, don't they?

Very small GUI's and frankly awful fonts. I really hope that they re-skin these...

Better just go with lower prices and all the time discounts, leave the GAS and WUP's to do the rest. :hihi:
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

My #1 peeve with Waves plugins is how the knobs are really poorly animated when they turn. They judder and it just creates a disconnect between your mouse movements and the plugin -feeling less responsive.

Then you open MJUC and turn the knobs and go.... whoah, super smooth - that's how it should be. You can do incremental adjustments and feel like you have better control over the full range of the dial.

Even though I agree that the GUI's need a makeover I actually think that Waves GUI's have aged quite well. Things like the Ren bundle, for example, looks quite good compared to all the other plugins from the same time. And some of the oldest plugins like L1, C1, Q10 have had a GUI makeover making them look very nice.

My guess is that this will be one of the major points addressed in V10. Probably everything made touch-friendly for use with the new Waves live mixers and with the ability to resize everything. And also new interfaces in the similar vein to L1 and C1 for the remaining older plugins like SuperTap, MetaFlanger, Enigma and others.
No signature here!

Grizzellda wrote:I guess the title of this one says it all. Waves plugs are solid & awesome, but some of the older ones, like say, from the Gold bundle, well they look like Windows 95, don't they?

You have a point, expect a price hike because they're 'vintage' now.

Much as I like a GUI overhaul, I would doubt that they would have the resources to modify every single one of the older plugins, whilst having the time to develop new ones. Nevertheless, one could argue that they have pretty much got everything more or less covered, and should regard ver. 10 as more of a "refresh" update instead of coming up with way too many effects pack "endorsed" and "designed" by the big names, which is getting a tiny bit ridiculous IMHO.

The Renaissance Axx plugin most certainly has the ugliest GUI I have ever seen. :cry:

BTW, that would be a cool thread... KVR users showcasing the ugliest GUIs that ever existed. Renaissance Axx gets my vote. Though... thinking about it Waves surely has a long and ongoing history of really badly designed user interfaces. Even some of the newer plugins make me want to peel my eyes from their sockets.

I thought this was part of their marketing angle for this range, hence the Renaissance tag.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

They're fine, there's newer plugins being released today that look just as outdated if not worse.

Lenticular wrote:They're fine, there's newer plugins being released today that look just as outdated if not worse.
I can't fault Waves for not trying, however :D :

Yeah, I was thinking about that one, too. :o

That crazy steampunk look is quite... errr... special. ;-) Waves really needs to hire some good designers.

Nightpolymath wrote: I would doubt that they would have the resources
Not sure what their core development headcount is but they probably have the most resources of any plugin developer in the world. Many of their plugins look the same as they did in the 90's and I find it hard to excuse that there's no budget for spruce ups... not even annually - we are talking about per decade here :hihi:

Nightpolymath wrote:
Lenticular wrote:They're fine, there's newer plugins being released today that look just as outdated if not worse.
I can't fault Waves for not trying, however :D :

Perhaps I am in the minority but I love this GUI.
Play it by ear

I love it too! Unique and eyecatching.

I could care less about the gui, blame that on Vig, his design choice,
It's a great plugin though & you can get it for under $20.00 with Waves Flash Sale at a certain online store!

Return to “Effects”