Leaving 32 bit plugins behind?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

zenophilix wrote:
Zexila wrote:
NystagmusE wrote:I like the idea of 64-bit, but I just don't need it yet.
Same here, think some people just like the idea of having all that RAM, but actually don't really have need for it, same goes for chasing updates and everything, observed that with OS X folks, it's quite sad actually. :scared:
Honestly, I have 8GB of RAM and even that is feeling claustrophobic. I edit a lot of HD video. :P
Ohh yeah, my really close friend is pro (everything from shooting to 3D animation) and he always wishes for more, it saves him days of work overall, so can feel your pain on that one. :neutral:
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Zexila wrote:so can feel your pain on that one. :neutral:
Awww, thanks. c: :hug:
Nobody, Ever wrote:I have enough plugins.

I have stuck with Reaper 32bit since I get better round trip latency (6ms round trip measured with ASIO4ALL and onboard audio) .. never need more than 4GB per plugin so has been a non-issue for me and since I sing I appreciate the low latency monitoring.

Oh and I am also comfortable with my penis size so this may also have strongly impacted my decision to stay 32bit :P

:)

provoc wrote:I have stuck with Reaper 32bit since I get better round trip latency (6ms round trip measured with ASIO4ALL and onboard audio) .. never need more than 4GB per plugin so has been a non-issue for me and since I sing I appreciate the low latency monitoring.

Oh and I am also comfortable with my penis size so this may also have strongly impacted my decision to stay 32bit :P
And you can use all the 64 bit plugins you want, because REAPERs bridge works flawlessly and almost transparently (if you set one option on).
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

Mutant wrote:
provoc wrote:I have stuck with Reaper 32bit since I get better round trip latency (6ms round trip measured with ASIO4ALL and onboard audio) .. never need more than 4GB per plugin so has been a non-issue for me and since I sing I appreciate the low latency monitoring.

And you can use all the 64 bit plugins you want, because REAPERs bridge works flawlessly and almost transparently (if you set one option on).
That's the second time i read something like that. What would the point be to use a 64-bit plugin in a 32-bit host? There's ALWAYS a 32-bit version, when there's a 64-bit version. The problem are 32-bit only plugins, rather.

chk071 wrote:
Mutant wrote:

That's the second time i read something like that. What would the point be to use a 64-bit plugin in a 32-bit host? There's ALWAYS a 32-bit version, when there's a 64-bit version. The problem are 32-bit only plugins, rather.
Well, he said he got lower latency in 32 bit version of Reaper, so there's one, other would be if someone is using more 32 bit plugins and have like Kontakt he wants to exploit, better just bridge Kontakt than everything else, it's pretty amazing actually, you can run instance of something in separate process in Reaper addressing more RAM if you need to. :tu:

http://reaperblog.net/2012/02/run-plugi ... d-process/
Last edited by Zexila on Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

What i meant is that it is pointless to bridge 64-bit plugins to a 32-bit host, because there's always a 32-bit version, when the plugin comes as 64-bit too. Bridging always needs more CPU, so it's contraproductive to bridge something you can also use natively in the 32-bit version. I don't even know why Reaper has a 64-bit bridge in the 32-bit version. I don't think any other host has that.

The Kontakt example i understand, but, jeez... why to jump through such hoops. Just use 64-bit. Reaper has a good 32-bit bridge, so i heard. So that's that.

chk071 wrote:What i meant is that it is pointless to bridge 64-bit plugins to a 32-bit host, because there's always a 32-bit version, when the plugin comes as 64-bit too. Bridging always needs more CPU, so it's contraproductive to bridge something you can also use natively in the 32-bit version. I don't even know why Reaper has a 64-bit bridge in the 32-bit version. I don't think any other host has that.
But if there's no 32 bit version, than it's not pointless and Reaper got you covered in that rare situations too, no other DAW is, so still awesome. :tu:

chk071 wrote:There's ALWAYS a 32-bit version, when there's a 64-bit version
Nope.
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

Which plugins don't come in a 32-bit version?

chk071 wrote:why to jump through such hoops.
He got lower latency in 32 bit, that's pretty valid, considering he will jump same hoops bridging other way around, so no real issue, just awesome solution to not bother and sacrifice latency. :tu:

Well, he may have lower latency, but bridging will use more CPU. Not really a win-win situation, but his decision of course.

chk071 wrote:Well, he may have lower latency, but bridging will use more CPU. Not really a win-win situation, but his decision of course.
Sure, just like with bridging 32 bit plugins, but than he have higher latency and still use more CPU, so this way he actually wins. :tu:

Hi guys,
about that, I'm having a survey that includes the topic. It would be great if you can spend 5 minutes and help me out improving my work.

http://goo.gl/forms/FNyV1KRfr1C8YCqx2

Thank you very much for your help!
Cheers,
Luca

Return to “Instruments”