OPX Pro II - simply best analog emulation instrument plugin

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

How does the Arturia Oberheims (Matrix-12 and SEM-V) compares against OPX-Pro II?

waltercruz wrote:How does the Arturia Oberheims (Matrix-12 and SEM-V) compares against OPX-Pro II?
lol I was just doing that because of this thread.

The SEM is really good imo. Some of the presets immediately reminded me of my OPX Pro II. I think the SEM sounds just a little bit better in terms of the VA (almost like how U-he's oscs make your jaw drop at times), but not by much.

The real value to me in OPX is all of the quality presets you get. And, in a recording (unless you were listening really hard for it) I would say OPX can stand up to SEM just fine. So, OPX sounds (almost) as fantastic as SEM, but you get more value in all those presets. It's all good, and worth the $$. Get everything ;-)

I wasn't crazy about the Matrix 12 tbh. That synth seems to be more about showing off the modulation (which seems to be formidable) than great song presets like OPX. I was so disenchanted with the M12 that I don't even recall how the oscs sounded. Don't let me put you off though. I may have missed something. I like more musical presets than bleeping, droning, screaming, sequence/trance stuff.

layzer wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:while not really sounding all that better or even closer to the OBX...
which is why its become a cult classic with a huge user base. i can always count on you to chime in with your OBX comparison to try to vilify OBXD as usual. :roll:

no, he's just giving an opinion. it seems here the ones being polite are the ones who don't like OBXD and are just giving an opinion on it, and the ones loving it are just acting so butt hurt and can not stand the fact that there are some of us here who prefer OPX. Your attitude is just absurd. Get out of my topic please.

johnrule wrote:
waltercruz wrote:How does the Arturia Oberheims (Matrix-12 and SEM-V) compares against OPX-Pro II?

The SEM is really good imo. Some of the presets immediately reminded me of my OPX Pro II. I think the SEM sounds just a little bit better in terms of the VA (almost like how U-he's oscs make your jaw drop at times), but not by much.

The real value to me in OPX is all of the quality presets you get. And, in a recording (unless you were listening really hard for it) I would say OPX can stand up to SEM just fine. So, OPX sounds (almost) as fantastic as SEM, but you get more value in all those presets. It's all good, and worth the $$. Get everything ;-)

I wasn't crazy about the Matrix 12 tbh. That synth seems to be more about showing off the modulation (which seems to be formidable) than great song presets like OPX. I was so disenchanted with the M12 that I don't even recall how the oscs sounded. Don't let me put you off though. I may have missed something. I like more musical presets than bleeping, droning, screaming, sequence/trance stuff.
I agree about the M12. The SEM sounds better. The other problem is that all arturia synths across the board have bad presets, and they continue to stick with the same designers every single time. With the exception of perhaps Ujiie's stuff, which is usually decent.
OP-X maybe got me so much initially and hence spurred the topic, because its presets are so excellent.
However playing with it head to head vs the SEM, i can hear the SEM really does sound very good too. And i've had that one for years but never used it cause of the crash bugs. Those seem to have been sorted now finally. So perhaps i won't buy OPX after all cause i'll be doubling up. I just wish i could somehow play all those presets in SEM or if there were some good SEM presets about! I'm not successfully tweaking the oberheim sound myself at all in either synth. Having terrible results programming them apart from the most basic alterations.

TheoM wrote:
johnrule wrote:

I agree about the M12. The SEM sounds better. The other problem is that all arturia synths across the board have bad presets, and they continue to stick with the same designers every single time. With the exception of perhaps Ujiie's stuff, which is usually decent.
OP-X maybe got me so much initially and hence spurred the topic, because its presets are so excellent.
However playing with it head to head vs the SEM, i can hear the SEM really does sound very good too. And i've had that one for years but never used it cause of the crash bugs. Those seem to have been sorted now finally. So perhaps i won't buy OPX after all cause i'll be doubling up. I just wish i could somehow play all those presets in SEM or if there were some good SEM presets about! I'm not successfully tweaking the oberheim sound myself at all in either synth. Having terrible results programming them apart from the most basic alterations.
One of Arturia's preset designers is Nori Ubukata, and I really like anything he designs as he is a wizard. :)

Examigan wrote:One of Arturia's preset designers is Nori Ubukata, and I really like anything he designs as he is a wizard. :)
Nori Ubukata is an excellent sound designer! His soundbank for Synthmaster was the base for my Pink Floyd cover gig. In the new version of Arturia plugins it's not possible browse the sounds by designer :(
Last edited by waltercruz on Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

Also in Analog Lab 2 ?

Ouch, is possible :dog:

Just need to choose the filtering column.

Guys you are right.. I have just been through Nori's in AL 2 and they are good. My bad on that. But see his quality is the exception rather than the norm for Arturia. IMO! I am not meaning to offend anyone but I would like to see some other names there like Arksun, Bigtone, Vengeance..

I mean it's the SAME designers for every synth and no one is doing third party presets besides one company whose name escapes me, that also does reaktor instruments, and their presets are ok but not great (going by the demo ones they provide for free download, and you'd think they'd provide really HQ ones in the demo bank).

Arturia needs some fresh blood for presets.. In SEM sometimes it feels like it's just the same thing over and over again for example.

With OPX they have every ground covered and plenty of variety. Now it's not that the $59 price bothers me for OPX upgrade, nor that I don't want to support Peter cause I do, it's that i really really really try avoid using software as much as possible these days, even to the point i was checking out some second hand oberheim hardware as I don't have anything at present that can do that convincingly. I was looking at the 6 voice rackmount preset player ones but even they are too expensive unfortunately.

Now to compare presets.. just see how peter for example has a bank covering famous sounds, and has NAILED them. I mean the let's go crazy Prince opening pad.. i was like WTF? is that a sample from the album LOL? He nailed it with OPX.

PS in AL2 they have removed polyphony control per patch :( They have also removed hundreds of sounds.. There were 5800 in AL1 and now there are 5300 in AL2 but with 5 new synths! But Al1 which i like due to polyphony control, is a crasher. Al2 is stable so far.

I won't do both, i will update my arturia for $99 or OPX.. one or the other. I use spark heavily (the only arturia i know inside out and use religiously), and that's not even in the V5 anyway so it makes no difference in that regard. I guess i will spend a few hours now really doing some head to head between OPX and Arturia, unfortunately Peter makes that job ver painful with the demo restrictions, so I will see how long i ca take it for LOL.

Vintage Synth Pads has several banks for V.4 of the Arturia synths.

I also the Lotuzia has a bank for SEM v.4.

I don't think they load in the new versions but I don't know for certain.

jsp1979 wrote:Vintage Synth Pads has several banks for V.4 of the Arturia synths.

I also the Lotuzia has a bank for SEM v.4.

I don't think they load in the new versions but I don't know for certain.
Nori and the humble me made a lot of presets for the SEM V factory library.

And an add on bank, SEMsentials, on my site that might be worth listening to. ( Lots of people already got it, but well, if some SEM V users read this ...)

As for the comparison between the different Oberheim synthesizers and their software counterparts, I'd avise people to listen to the original machine(S), then try the demos of the competitors and decide by themselves. Analog has many sides, many faces, and many sounds. An Oberheim SEM module doesnt sound close to an OB-8, and even not like a recent SEM module. And that's only for Oberheim ... So when you think ' Analog emulation' you could as well think at least a bit about 'wich analog ...' and it will certainly be easier to answer the question than ' the best virtual analog thing etc' wich doesnt really make sense. Ime.
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

TheoM wrote:The other problem is that all arturia synths across the board have bad presets, and they continue to stick with the same designers every single time. With the exception of perhaps Ujiie's stuff, which is usually decent.
TheoM wrote:Guys you are right.. I have just been through Nori's in AL 2 and they are good. My bad on that. But see his quality is the exception rather than the norm for Arturia. IMO! I am not meaning to offend anyone but I would like to see some other names there like Arksun, Bigtone, Vengeance..
Arturia needs some fresh blood for presets.. In SEM sometimes it feels like it's just the same thing over and over again for example.
Yeah, I've been saying this since about 2004/5. I don't know how they can possibly ship a synth with 90% of those presets that they have in every single synth. One after another.

For example, the CS80V is dead, until you forget everything in the factory bank, and start from scratch yourself. Only then does it start to resemble an emulation that they attempted. It's like every single synth goes out of its way to sound nothing like the emulation it purports to be, as far as the presets are concerned.

And they've only ever so slightly addressed that over time, but nothing major that makes you sit up.

Combine uninspired/dull preset design with not the best synth engine and well....
I mean it's the SAME designers for every synth and no one is doing third party presets besides one company whose name escapes me, that also does reaktor instruments, and their presets are ok but not great
Musicrow!
"The educated person is one who knows how to find out what he does not know" - George Simmel
“It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.” - John Wooden

TheoM wrote:Guys you are right.. I have just been through Nori's in AL 2 and they are good. My bad on that. But see his quality is the exception rather than the norm for Arturia. IMO! I am not meaning to offend anyone but I would like to see some other names there like Arksun, Bigtone, Vengeance..

I mean it's the SAME designers for every synth and no one is doing third party presets besides one company whose name escapes me, that also does reaktor instruments, and their presets are ok but not great (going by the demo ones they provide for free download, and you'd think they'd provide really HQ ones in the demo bank).

With OPX they have every ground covered and plenty of variety. Now it's not that the $59 price bothers me for OPX upgrade, nor that I don't want to support Peter cause I do, it's that i really really really try avoid using software as much as possible these days, even to the point i was checking out some second hand oberheim hardware as I don't have anything at present that can do that convincingly. I was looking at the 6 voice rackmount preset player ones but even they are too expensive unfortunately.

Now to compare presets.. just see how peter for example has a bank covering famous sounds, and has NAILED them. I mean the let's go crazy Prince opening pad.. i was like WTF? is that a sample from the album LOL? He nailed it with OPX.

PS in AL2 they have removed polyphony control per patch :( They have also removed hundreds of sounds.. There were 5800 in AL1 and now there are 5300 in AL2 but with 5 new synths! But Al1 which i like due to polyphony control, is a crasher. Al2 is stable so far.

I won't do both, i will update my arturia for $99 or OPX.. one or the other. I use spark heavily (the only arturia i know inside out and use religiously), and that's not even in the V5 anyway so it makes no difference in that regard. I guess i will spend a few hours now really doing some head to head between OPX and Arturia, unfortunately Peter makes that job ver painful with the demo restrictions, so I will see how long i ca take it for LOL.
This exactly, Arturia has taken the liberty to remove a bunch of my favorite presets that was in all synths :dog: and no the presets you bought from 3rd parties will no longer work with their new version, so while I like the way the new version looks and sounds,I like my old songs/tracks loading up correctly better... Passing on this upgrade...

Smack Dammit wrote:This exactly, Arturia has taken the liberty to remove a bunch of my favorite presets that was in all synths :dog: and no the presets you bought from 3rd parties will no longer work with their new version, so while I like the way the new version looks and sounds,I like my old songs/tracks loading up correctly better... Passing on this upgrade...
There's a preset converter coming don't?

https://www.arturia.com/faq/utilization ... patibility
So for the moment, the legacy factory & user presets won't be compatible with the new plugins versions.

But, to guarantee our customers satisfaction, we have decided to develop a preset converter in order to make your favorite patches from the legacy versions compatible with the new plugins.

This app should be available in the forthcoming months.

Return to “Instruments”