Experimental / Unorthodox standalone software suggestions (Mac)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi folks!

I’d like your input on this. I’m looking for some experimental, weird, unorthodox, whatever you call it, standalone software to experiment with. The strangest the better! :borg: (Mac please)

No plugin instruments, just stand alone programs to mess with. Basically, I’m looking for sound generators & some sound creation here, that I'm gonna use afterward for further manipulations in a DAW.

Thanks! :)

I would go with NI Reaktor in standalone mode.

Metasynth, Feedback 2, Generative 2, Wave Warper, Evil Twin, Hourglass, Hypercyclic, Mammut, Supercollider, Numerology, etc, etc

jc_vt wrote:Metasynth, Feedback 2, Generative 2, Wave Warper, Evil Twin, Hourglass, Hypercyclic, Mammut, Supercollider, Numerology, etc, etc
Nice, some weirdos I haven't heard in there :tu:

Will dig into that....

Generative 2 is very interesting. Right up the alley I wanna explore... Thanks!

More suggestions? Keep em coming !

AudioMulch (a DAW itself)

Resonate 1.0, if you can get it to work.
Also, if you have an iPad, lots of options there, including iDensity, Samplr, Stria, etc
Neon Breath wrote:Generative 2 is very interesting. Right up the alley I wanna explore... Thanks!

More suggestions? Keep em coming !

jc_vt wrote:Metasynth, Feedback 2, Generative 2, Wave Warper, Evil Twin, Hourglass, Hypercyclic, Mammut, Supercollider, Numerology, etc, etc
Nice! Most of these are new to me :tu:

And this, new to me! Nice, thanks man :tu:

Neon Breath wrote:
And this, new to me! Nice, thanks man :tu:
It's an amazing sonic playground :tu:

Photosounder.

I have tried a bunch of 'standalone sound sculptors' and learned that workflow is the key to sanity.

I love the workflow with Melodyne 4 Studio, Izotope RX & Iris, Metasynth, Cecelia5, Photosounder, HourGlass, SoundGrain, GRM Tools, TimeStretch, Mammut, and SoundHack (VST). SPEAR would be great if it output partials.

Others I also enjoy but are a bit slower for me to get results are PaulStretch, SoundHack standalone, Composers Desktop Project/Soundloom, FScape, and Soundmagic Spectral (AU).

Some have real personality but are difficult for me to control in detail like Argeiphontes Lyre (!), Syd, Resonate, TimeFlux, Ambient, Density & Pulsaret, Feedback2 & Generative2, and Flux Tools, so I spent less time with them. Thus, YMMV!

Finally, I am curious about the new SuperCollider DAW LNX Studio, AudioSculpt & the other deep Ircams.
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Do you know this one? :

http://audiobulb.com/create/Lissajous/Lissajous.htm

Edit: and maybe try Wren. It's a standalone modular environment and it has a lot of generative patches. It's great fun! .:)

Last edited by ZeePok on Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Image Image Image Image

Return to “Instruments”