When to use Mono and Stereo in comopressors ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi ,

I have got Waves compressor plugins like API 2500 , CLA series , etc .

There are 2 versions . One is Mono and the other is stereo . What does each one do and when to use what ?

mono for mono signals like kick, bass, vocals, stereo for stereo signals like pianos, synths, etc.

Mono mode is for use on mono sources. Stereo mode is for .... ;)

In the interests of not doubling up in my plugin list, I always just add the Stereo version of a Waves plugin and basically ignore the Mono versions. I've never actually compared them. Would it be detrimental to use the Stereo version on a mono source (ie: kickdrum) instead of the Mono version?

MogwaiBoy wrote:In the interests of not doubling up in my plugin list, I always just add the Stereo version of a Waves plugin and basically ignore the Mono versions. I've never actually compared them. Would it be detrimental to use the Stereo version on a mono source (ie: kickdrum) instead of the Mono version?
not sure, just know that the mono version is less cpu heavy and this was the reason to be made

nickamandote wrote:mono for mono signals like kick, bass, vocals, stereo for stereo signals like pianos, synths, etc.
Cool .. Why is it so ? What happens when you use stereo plugins on mono sources ?

And how would you know if an audio is mono or stereo ?

You would know if a source is mono or not by checking if its stereo or mono. If you don't know the difference then maybe producing is not for you.

vignesh.vijay wrote:
nickamandote wrote:mono for mono signals like kick, bass, vocals, stereo for stereo signals like pianos, synths, etc.
Cool .. Why is it so ? What happens when you use stereo plugins on mono sources ?

It only saves CPU it seems.
The difference is in the number of channels (signals) used. Mono uses one, common stereo uses two.

nickamandote wrote:
vignesh.vijay wrote:

It only saves CPU it seems.
The difference is in the number of channels (signals) used. Mono uses one, common stereo uses two.
If the plugin is modeling "dual mono" type non-linearities, then it can cause a stereo/phase decorrelation on your mono track, which might not be what you want at all for things like kick and bass. Some plugins off the top of my head that can do this are tb_reelbus and bx_console and Waves NLS. So to be safe always use mono plugins on mono tracks if you can.

thecontrolcentre wrote:You would know if a source is mono or not by checking if its stereo or mono. If you don't know the difference then maybe producing is not for you.
I know the difference between mono and stereo ..
if i have 2 tracks , how do i know if its in mono or stere
I have heard that inverting the phase of left channel and if there is no sound heard ,then its mono .. is my understanding correct ?

And how do i check for vst library sounds if it is mono or stereo ?

Thanks in advance

A quick, non-scientific, not always correct way is to look at the level in your DAW. Hopefully it will show left and right separately. If so, are they the same level as each other throughout the sound? If so, there's a good chance they're mono. But to find out for sure, you could do what you recommended - flip the phase of one side and see if they zero.

Use Stereo Field Analyzer like Melda (it's free). Very useful tool for mixing https://www.meldaproduction.com/MStereoScope

What I do, quite frankly, is try to be aware of the type of effects that I am dealing with, but after that, I have to listen, use my ears...after all, if I think I'm a musician...

See, the listener on the other end will not likely have an audio engineering textbook or give two (2) shits about your mixing techniques...they will simply be listening for something that they like!

And if they don't like your sound, well will it really matter if you fussed for hours on end about some bullshit??? :dog: :hihi: :dog: :hihi: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Grizzellda wrote:What I do, quite frankly, is try to be aware of the type of effects that I am dealing with, but after that, I have to listen, use my ears...after all, if I think I'm a musician...

See, the listener on the other end will not likely have an audio engineering textbook or give two (2) shits about your mixing techniques...they will simply be listening for something that they like!

And if they don't like your sound, well will it really matter if you fussed for hours on end about some bullshit??? :dog: :hihi: :dog: :hihi: :lol: :lol: :lol:
actually proper mixing is important. Badly done mix will lead to situations where on some sound systems (like wireless speakers/cell phone) track can sound really bad, some instruments can be barely audible (phase cancellation, poor stereo range, harsh boosted too much frequencies) and listener can perceive track as bad without any knowledge about mix. Mix is about making track to sound the smae on as much as possible different sources to avoid such situations.
From other hand, does listener need to know how to read score to enjoy melody? Nope

You should always use mono compressors on stereo material and stereo compressors on mono material. Why? Because you might come up with something cool instead of all the horribly lame sterile/bore-fests you hear in "mixed" things these days.

(yeah, I'm looking at you contest makers that want everything SO PERFECTLY within lame rules that everything sounds the same. :x )

Return to “Effects”