8raw8 - TR-808 Recreated, and affordable -

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

French small manufacturer has made the TR-808 Reborn.

Well, not exactly, as the sequencer part is missing. But it's all analog, the real circuitry has been recreated, and it's more or less in the same price ratio than a Roland new tr-thing. Every unit is hand made.

More details here.

http://8raw8.com/index.php/about/

LtZ
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

Sounds and looks great but the sequencer was a huge part of the draw. Sad to see it isn't included. The chase LEDs made it feel so futuristic. I've owned 2 808s in my life but I think the tr8 with explanations is the perfect drum machine since its 98% accurate 5 box solution.

Stupid American Pig wrote:Sounds and looks great but the sequencer was a huge part of the draw. Sad to see it isn't included. The chase LEDs made it feel so futuristic. I've owned 2 808s in my life but I think the tr8 with explanations is the perfect drum machine since its 98% accurate 5 box solution.

ya.

i was very skeptical about the tr8, and disappointed when it first turned out to be a VA. but I must admit from hearing my friends use it and having a go myself it's a very powerful, convincing sounding VA instrument. how accurate it is as an emulation I don't know - but it sounds pretty damn good and it has a good interface, albeit with some perhaps gaudy lighting choices.

Stupid American Pig wrote:Sounds and looks great but the sequencer was a huge part of the draw. Sad to see it isn't included. The chase LEDs made it feel so futuristic. I've owned 2 808s in my life but I think the tr8 with explanations is the perfect drum machine since its 98% accurate 5 box solution.
I wish they released it as a plug in. I don't have the room for one, but I think it sounds great. Mostly I use samples and other plug ins these days, and the drum synths in Scope, which sound great.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Agreed. Since the latest batch of Roland gear all use the same guts I would imagine a plug out version isn't out of the realm of possibility. I'm probably dreaming here but now I want to see a cr-x expansion with the cr78/8000. I would shell out another hundred bucks for that...

Daags wrote:

ya.

i was very skeptical about the tr8, and disappointed when it first turned out to be a VA. but I must admit from hearing my friends use it and having a go myself it's a very powerful, convincing sounding VA instrument. how accurate it is as an emulation I don't know - but it sounds pretty damn good and it has a good interface, albeit with some perhaps gaudy lighting choices.
I think they are really close on every sound that isn't the hihat/cymbals which aren't quite the right root pitch, but otherwise sound authentic. I've owned a 606 and 808 and have some samples of each.

i was looking at novation drumstations as i really liked mine when i had it, but S/H they are not much cheaper than a TR-8 brand new. Drumstations used analog modelling or samples believe it or not, depending on the sound. I got great results with it.

I wish the TR8 was still a more all in one and did the 6 and 7 series as well, but i think that's the one to have. It really does sound 99% of the way there, and has a very cool usability factor. Sorry Laurent, i think this group have missed the mark if they are only offering 808 emulation for the same price as the TR-8 which also does the still popular 909..

Real anlog yes, i will give them that, but missing the sequencer which is half the fun, puts the nail in the coffin for me. Sorry about that.

TheoM wrote:i was looking at novation drumstations as i really liked mine when i had it, but S/H they are not much cheaper than a TR-8 brand new. Drumstations used analog modelling or samples believe it or not, depending on the sound. I got great results with it.

I wish the TR8 was still a more all in one and did the 6 and 7 series as well, but i think that's the one to have. It really does sound 99% of the way there, and has a very cool usability factor. Sorry Laurent, i think this group have missed the mark if they are only offering 808 emulation for the same price as the TR-8 which also does the still popular 909..

Real anlog yes, i will give them that, but missing the sequencer which is half the fun, puts the nail in the coffin for me. Sorry about that.

Yes it's even more than a boutique unit, it's really for the purists who want THIS exact sound, and nothing else. It's made with the original components and circuitry, with a few bonus on the clap sound wich seems more versatile.

If it should be compared to anything, I think it's with the real thing. Even the real thing would loose features wise VS any capable VA machine, and, like you said, a real Tr-808 will not make TR-909 sounds as well. Anyway, I like the 909, but have always prefered the 808.

I think such hand made units like the 8raw8 can become rather rare and pricey in the future, maybe not as much as the original ones or a Kobol, but who knows, so I might get one at some point.

As for the sequencer, I can easily sequence it thru StiX Midi Out sequencer, wich can mimic the tr-808 101%, and can do so much more, so it's not a real concern, as long as I dont intend to use it live. In wich case I might prefer to rule it via a hardware sequencer. I find the raw sound very robust, and I also like the feeling that not everyone will have one of these little beasts. I can understand why many people only look after 'industry standards' to be reassured they have invested in the right tools to make the 'music with recipes', but I'm more inclined to get the intruments that simply only fit 'my standards', and are different in some ways. And this one looks like a good candidate.

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

Looks very interesting and sounds great - I hope (in time) they do a version of the 909.
I don't mind the lack of sequencer, as I'm lucky enough to have a Cirklon :)

Although i am pro-tr8, i have to admit the hats here are far mor accurate. This box sounds brilliant actually..
It's not what you use, it's how you use it...

Just received an email back from the chaps.
''A 909 version isn't planned yet, but why not in the future''...

Fingers crossed :)

Lotuzia wrote:
TheoM wrote:i was looking at novation drumstations as i really liked mine when i had it, but S/H they are not much cheaper than a TR-8 brand new. Drumstations used analog modelling or samples believe it or not, depending on the sound. I got great results with it.

Yes it's even more than a boutique unit, it's really for the purists who want THIS exact sound, and nothing else. It's made with the original components and circuitry, with a few bonus on the clap sound wich seems more versatile.

If it should be compared to anything, I think it's with the real thing. Even the real thing would loose features wise VS any capable VA machine, and, like you said, a real Tr-808 will not make TR-909 sounds as well. Anyway, I like the 909, but have always prefered the 808.

I think such hand made units like the 8raw8 can become rather rare and pricey in the future, maybe not as much as the original ones or a Kobol, but who knows, so I might get one at some point.

As for the sequencer, I can easily sequence it thru StiX Midi Out sequencer, wich can mimic the tr-808 101%, and can do so much more, so it's not a real concern, as long as I dont intend to use it live. In wich case I might prefer to rule it via a hardware sequencer. I find the raw sound very robust, and I also like the feeling that not everyone will have one of these little beasts. I can understand why many people only look after 'industry standards' to be reassured they have invested in the right tools to make the 'music with recipes', but I'm more inclined to get the intruments that simply only fit 'my standards', and are different in some ways. And this one looks like a good candidate.
Fair enough Laurent, and kudos to them for the exact recreation in any case. Does it have CV so one can use any sequencer they like?

I think it's Midi only. It's ok for me like this.

ok that's too limiting IMO. I suppose it would work ok with a usb arturia beatstep though.. ie the beatstep is plugged into computer via usb, chosen in daw as midi input, then the 808 hardware is connected via standard midi port to whatever midi interface is also connected to the computer, and chosen as the midi output. I think that would work just fine. Still, it adds the layer that a computer becomes necessary, and that's not always a workable solution for everyone.

Let us know how it goes if you buy one:)

Am I missing something or have they not yet stated a price? I only see vague references to "affordable".
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”