Softube Modular

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Multiphonics CV-2 Reaktor Softube Modular

Ah_Dziz wrote:This thing is a CPU rapist. I wish there were some quality settings for render and realtime use. That and about 4 more utility modules and filter types would get this thing to the next level of awesome.
That's what I've been saying. Just as things start getting interesting, my i7 complains like a stuck pig. Alternately, I can get some very cool stuff going on with Reaktor's Blocks (hell, with Reaktor in general) that don't need 96 khz processing to sound very good and my CPU remains cool.

Anyway, I decided to bite...

... on a Mother 32. :lol: I couldn't resist. Actually, it's been something I've been planning on for a while, it just happened that I had enough cash on hand with a Father's day assist that it seemed like a good time to bite.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote:
Ah_Dziz wrote:This thing is a CPU rapist. I wish there were some quality settings for render and realtime use. That and about 4 more utility modules and filter types would get this thing to the next level of awesome.
That's what I've been saying. Just as things start getting interesting, my i7 complains like a stuck pig. Alternately, I can get some very cool stuff going on with Reaktor's Blocks (hell, with Reaktor in general) that don't need 96 khz processing to sound very good and my CPU remains cool.

... on a Mother 32. :lol: I couldn't resist. Actually, it's been something I've been planning on for a while, it just happened that I had enough cash on hand with a Father's day assist that it seemed like a good time to bite.
The Mother 32 is a really nice synth, especially given the price. Probably has the most modular capabilities of any semi mod out there. Having lots of fun with mine, and the sequencer's pretty damn functional as well. Congrats!

I have. I also have reported a couple of bugs. I almost finished an entire song with nothing but Modular, and then realized that it won't receive on multiple midi channels even though it is designed to. So my little poly patch within a patch didn't work at all. It seems this is a vst3 bug with my initial testing. Can anybody else set up a giant multi timbal patch using multiple midi to cv converters set to different channels? Doesn't work at all in VST 3 but seems to work in VST 2. I can't use the big patch I made in the vst3 version in the other version though so I suppose I'm screwed.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Does it do copy and paste of modules cannot see a way to do it. Just for cpu killer type action

ImNotDedYet wrote:
zerocrossing wrote:

The Mother 32 is a really nice synth, especially given the price. Probably has the most modular capabilities of any semi mod out there. Having lots of fun with mine, and the sequencer's pretty damn functional as well. Congrats!
Thanks. My plan is to use it as a 3 osc synth when paired with my System 1m. Then maybe put them in a case and add a few modules around Christmas.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote:
Thanks. My plan is to use it as a 3 osc synth when paired with my System 1m. Then maybe put them in a case and add a few modules around Christmas.
You are well on your way down the rabbit hole!

Have a fine journey :-)

pdxindy wrote:
zerocrossing wrote:

Is the System 1m longer than the Mother32? Will it fit in the nice little rack that is available for the Mother?

bharris22 wrote:
pdxindy wrote:
zerocrossing wrote:

Is the System 1m longer than the Mother32? Will it fit in the nice little rack that is available for the Mother?
1m appears to be 4+ inches wider than the Mother. You'd need a case to support the width of the System 1m, then use that extra width in the Mother's row for modules.

Thanks!

zerocrossing wrote:
ImNotDedYet wrote:
zerocrossing wrote:

That's what I've done. I picked up two of the Moog 104 hp cases and the three-tier ears. When I get more modules I'll add a third case, but for now, with just the Mother 32, System 1m, and Demora, the two cases are plenty. I am wondering, since my computer sees the System 1m as an audio interface, if I can send/recieve c/v from Softube Modular (or Reaktor) through those jacks.
I wish I could sing as well as the voices inside my head...

http://www.cdbaby.com/darkvictory

bharris22 wrote:
pdxindy wrote:
zerocrossing wrote:

See my post above. Moog makes a larger case, but it doesn't have a power supply.
I wish I could sing as well as the voices inside my head...

http://www.cdbaby.com/darkvictory

zerocrossing wrote:

Ha! I was right. Sorry to hear that. Quoting myself from page 5 of this thread, before the plugin was released:

"I am guessing it's going to be a CPU hog.

We will probably have access to a ton of modules but will only be able to use so many (few) before the CPU starts giving out. The Softube quality comes at a price.
Play it by ear

I've actually began to notice the CPU use after playing with it a good deal more this weekend. It's odd, because just putting the modules out there - and not an overly complex module configuration will cause the CPU level to rise, no sounds playing.

And later, on a more complex seeming patch, the CPU use was lighter. I don't get it or know what's causing the issue, but I'm seriously wondering how much more they'll be able to expand it given the issues with the small set of modules.

ImNotDedYet wrote:I've actually began to notice the CPU use after playing with it a good deal more this weekend. It's odd, because just putting the modules out there - and not an overly complex module configuration will cause the CPU level to rise, no sounds playing.

And later, on a more complex seeming patch, the CPU use was lighter. I don't get it or know what's causing the issue, but I'm seriously wondering how much more they'll be able to expand it given the issues with the small set of modules.
It looks like the module code is running regardless of if they are used or not, whilst not optimal, in practice it just means, delete modules you aren't using.... though there is a question of optimisation of modules which contain multiples.

Its pretty common for v1 software to not be highly optimised, Im sure these modules will all be built on a common framework that can be improved, and optimised over time... Ive seen some pretty remarkable improvements over time on some products.

... of course there will always be some limit, and depending on your setup, your going to hit that sooner or later ;)
(its probably fair to say, some modules are going to be more cpu intensive than others too.)

thetechnobear wrote:
ImNotDedYet wrote:I've actually began to notice the CPU use after playing with it a good deal more this weekend. It's odd, because just putting the modules out there - and not an overly complex module configuration will cause the CPU level to rise, no sounds playing.

It looks like the module code is running regardless of if they are used or not, whilst not optimal, in practice it just means, delete modules you aren't using.... though there is a question of optimisation of modules which contain multiples.

Its pretty common for v1 software to not be highly optimised, Im sure these modules will all be built on a common framework that can be improved, and optimised over time... Ive seen some pretty remarkable improvements over time on some products.

... of course there will always be some limit, and depending on your setup, your going to hit that sooner or later ;)
(its probably fair to say, some modules are going to be more cpu intensive than others too.)
True, I agree with you. But in the CPU use for when not in use - this is a patch where all the modules are actually used. I just wasn't playing or sequencing it yet.

I certainly hope they're able to find and make CPU improvements.

Return to “Instruments”