64bit daw to replace fl studio

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

sugo wrote:But mostly i was more on modding than making music with reaper.
Same here, than when I really started making music with it, realized it's not for me.
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Zexila wrote:
Same here, than when I really started making music with it, realized it's not for me.
What gave you that conclusion?

I have been down the path the OP is taking. Trying to get away from FL because you think there's something better out there. Well, there isn't. I have learned Logic, Live, Pro Tools, Reason, and a few others. None of these can hold a candle to FL's workflow. Sure, they have a few bells and whistles and can do some things that FL can't, but they are not as inspiring and not as fun as FL. FL has incredible depth that is missing from the other programs. No worries though. Go out and explore. Personally, I always come back to FL. Why can't any of these other DAWs have a paintbrush like the one in FL's Playlist? All the copying and pasting is such a waste of time.
http://www.soundcloud.com/gradynickel
MacBook Pro, iMac, Software, Hardware, Instruments, etc.

camsr wrote:
Zexila wrote:
What gave you that conclusion?
How all that modding actually worked out as a whole, maybe it's my muscle memory, but some things felt clunky and was getting frustrated, maybe it's my OCD too, but I need confidence when working (people feel more relaxed, confident and better overall too when you are doing things in blink of the eye and focus on them, not on freaking DAW) and when I had chance to get real work with it, it was obvious, it's not going to work, muscle memory declared war and OCD kicked in hard, maybe I'm stuck with Logic now. :scared:
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

joeyfivecents wrote:I have been down the path the OP is taking. Trying to get away from FL because you think there's something better out there. Well, there isn't. I have learned Logic, Live, Pro Tools, Reason, and a few others. None of these can hold a candle to FL's workflow. Sure, they have a few bells and whistles and can do some things that FL can't, but they are not as inspiring and not as fun as FL. FL has incredible depth that is missing from the other programs. No worries though. Go out and explore. Personally, I always come back to FL. Why can't any of these other DAWs have a paintbrush like the one in FL's Playlist? All the copying and pasting is such a waste of time.
IMO that fl's playlist work"flow" is a real PITA. Have found Reason and Bitwig to be more for me. Though I occasionally use Reaper too, it's just not too inspirational. More of a workhorse that just works.

joeyfivecents wrote:Why can't any of these other DAWs have a paintbrush like the one in FL's Playlist? All the copying and pasting is such a waste of time.
There's loop option in Logic and you can transform looped versions into respective parts or just one of them (in the middle somewhere), than loop that one (maybe slightly changed) and so on, pretty awesome if you ask me. :tu:

Thing is, master one DAW and get stuff done with it, should really take my own advice and stop the quest. :ud:

joeyfivecents wrote:I have been down the path the OP is taking. Trying to get away from FL because you think there's something better out there. Well, there isn't. I have learned Logic, Live, Pro Tools, Reason, and a few others. None of these can hold a candle to FL's workflow. Sure, they have a few bells and whistles and can do some things that FL can't, but they are not as inspiring and not as fun as FL. FL has incredible depth that is missing from the other programs. No worries though. Go out and explore. Personally, I always come back to FL. Why can't any of these other DAWs have a paintbrush like the one in FL's Playlist? All the copying and pasting is such a waste of time.

H Grady, I know what you're talking about but I kind of agree with the others about the playlist and I still dont like the audio handling. I have adapted much better to the object based work flow of samplitude, but my work is far more audio based than midi based these days. FL has amazing tools for midi that I do miss, it was hard getting use to another piano roll but I still have FL so I can still use FL for midi if I ever need it. Instead of the paint brush in the playlist there's a keystroke shortcut to convert an object to a loop and then drag it out. Click anywhere on that and it opens the midi editor/piano roll if you to make an edit, it's a loop so it repeats the edit (there's a command for glue if you want the loops to be one whole track). When you're done just freeze the track, not for cpu purposes but for bouncing midi to audio, it's a super fast and bounces in place. Creating an object is so simple and the object editor is really powerful...and then there's the FX...seriously, imho one of the best set of native fx I have seen.

Hope all is well with you dude :)
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Hink wrote:Instead of the paint brush in the playlist there's a keystroke shortcut to convert an object to a loop and then drag it out. Click anywhere on that and it opens the midi editor/piano roll if you to make an edit, it's a loop so it repeats the edit (there's a command for glue if you want the loops to be one whole track). When you're done just freeze the track, not for cpu purposes but for bouncing midi to audio, it's a super fast and bounces in place. Creating an object is so simple and the object editor is really powerful...and then there's the FX...seriously, imho one of the best set of native fx I have seen.
That sounds awesome too. :tu:

Zexila wrote:
joeyfivecents wrote:Why can't any of these other DAWs have a paintbrush like the one in FL's Playlist? All the copying and pasting is such a waste of time.
There's loop option in Logic and you can transform looped versions into respective parts or just one of them (in the middle somewhere), than loop that one (maybe slightly changed) and so on, pretty awesome if you ask me. :tu:

Thing is, master one DAW and get stuff done with it, should really take my own advice and stop the quest. :ud:
You can grab bot right corner of the clip in bitwig and just drag the loop for as long as you like. Bit like in fl.

Lejurai wrote:You can grab bot right corner of the clip in bitwig and just drag the loop for as long as you like. Bit like in fl.
Yeah, just like in Logic too, can you transform looped into respective parts too?

I have a bias towards using the mouse more than the keyboard, it's probably related to posture, I just tend to slouch and relax in front of the DAW a lot :hihi: Voice commands would be great, I would tell it to make my kicks more edgy or my pads more diffuse, but I can do that with the mouse. There's usually more mousing involved than keyboarding, and why I don't like a lot of programs is because the areas to click things can be very narrow or small. In FL you can click anywhere on the fader area and it locks the grab, but I can't do that in Reaper. How does Live perform in this area?

I don't use a keyboard much either & I find reaper great for just mouse work once you build a midi & audio toolbar to your liking

Found Reaper somehow clicking friendly because of custom actions and toolbars (proper themes too), remember having close window action instead of just using close dialog in the corner or stuff like that, you can pretty much do few things with one action, which can be actually quite powerful, best thing would be to have a close friend who is Reaper wizard and let him do all that customizing and explaining in few hours and spare yourself few months of labor and just make music (or hire someone). More awesome would be to have a theme guy also and have just right eye candy for yourself.

I've been on the same path. I just work soo much faster with it. I would love to stay with samplitude but it's just so tedious for certain things. At this point writing entire track in FL then route to cubase or samplitude via vsti. Works for me right now.

camsr wrote: In FL you can click anywhere on the fader area and it locks the grab, but I can't do that in Reaper. How does Live perform in this area?
It jumps to the value where you clicked. One of the thing I like about mouse function in FL is middle click. I want some function in Live too.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”