MIX CHALLENGE - MC22 June 2016 - Winners announced

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Well... it did say Soundtrack in the OP. So that is why I benched it to other soundtracks from actual well known movies as a reference.

So it would be helpful imo to specify what the target application for a track is. More so than simply stating genre.

Well, technically I was the one that commented on "this Soundtrack production", because I felt it was the genre to go for. So it's me to blame then with the "words by the staff".
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

I fell for the "Soundtrack" goal and attempted to make it a movie theater experience. I'll back off a bit and go for a more mellow, well rounded version ("electronic orchestra" or "ambient" track) rather than the full blown movie soundtrack direction. Grateful that I still made it into the 2nd round! Good luck to all and happy mixing :)
Dave McIsaac

Honestly - I would have gone the full on Soundtrack route... "inner cinema" and all :shrug:

But... currently no time to join
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Bjulin wrote:exactly :lol:
Thanks for confirmation ^^
Maybe that sentence of "seeing creative juices flowing" was a bit missleading. What I meant was not about how you process each track, but how you will enhance what is already there. As I am always looking for high quality base material, most things you could do to the track was in the details.
And of course, I loved much of the things you did to the track... it was just a bit too much...
Thanks for your answer; which helps me to understand better. Actually I didn't think it was my best mix anyway ;) but I was a bit surprised by the review as usually it is more technical like "too much compression" "too much/not enough eq/bass" "too much saturation". Or on the creative side simply that I did not meet the author expectations/style.
But now when I'll get a mix with high quality material, I'll think twice before tweaking too much, and if I decide to tweak I must ensure that I don't ruin the quality and aim to enhance only, not change the mood :)
And about overdoing things I think it is one of my weak point ! But I'm glad you enjoyed the direction I tried to go, even if it was changing the overall feeling ;) I feel less like I butchered your track now :p

Also I'd like to ask you which reverb/kind of reverbs did you used on your track ? Because I think it sounds awesome ^^

LFO8 wrote:So it would be helpful imo to specify what the target application for a track is. More so than simply stating genre.
I think same, sometimes the song provider clearly states that we have some freedom to explore a new vision of his track, but others times it is less easy to determine which direction to go. If I had to submit a track I think I would provide some references tracks names to guide the mixers. Maybe I would even guide directions for specific stems :D but that's me...
Compyfox wrote:Well, technically I was the one that commented on "this Soundtrack production", because I felt it was the genre to go for. So it's me to blame then with the "words by the staff".
Haha I fell for the soundtrack/movie stuff too ^^ This is why I pushed the drums and tried to make every sound big and detailed. In my mix notes I talked about how I went soundtrack/aquatic for the mix ^^ (aquatic came from me and was the creative part).

photonic wrote:Hi Bjulin,

Thank you for your detailed and constuctive comments. I made this mix without my usual studio setup, because I am rebuilding my studio in the moment. But that should not be an excuse! I messed up some things, which I recognize now after your comments. I pushed the drums so hard because I saw this track like a soundtrack and I wanted to bring more dynamic at the end. This round was definitely a learning round for me!

Good luck for those who reached the second round!
I´m sorry you didn´t make it to round two. Anyway, you´ve got a good attitude and I always enjoyed your work over at OSC. Keep it up, man! :tu:
https://audile.shop - the quality controlled sound shop
http://bjulin.de

Davias wrote: Also I'd like to ask you which reverb/kind of reverbs did you used on your track ? Because I think it sounds awesome ^^
Oh, thank you very much!

Stereo placement / widen: Acon Digital - Multiply, Alex Hilton - A1 StereoControl (both absolutely useful AND free!)
Delay: Native Instruments - Replika (will buy XT in the near future...), FXpansion - Bloom (this is for more complex delays, creative effects)
Reverb: EAReverb 2

That´s it... I´m always trying to optimize my workflow. That´s why I´m doing explicit testing sessions of new plugins every now and then. This way I´m not carried away by playing around with new gear when I actually need to compose.
Davias wrote:
LFO8 wrote:So it would be helpful imo to specify what the target application for a track is. More so than simply stating genre.
I think same, sometimes the song provider clearly states that we have some freedom to explore a new vision of his track, but others times it is less easy to determine which direction to go. If I had to submit a track I think I would provide some references tracks names to guide the mixers. Maybe I would even guide directions for specific stems :D but that's me...
Well, that´s not a bad idea... there won´t be too much confusion then! :tu:

For everyone who is interested in sounds, too: I have released my new soundset yesterday, which is called "Caractère".
Of course, the winner of the competition can choose this soundset as prize, too!

round 2:

tried mostly to get in touch with the "emotional" aspect of the song ...
technically speaking; drums and SFX are now more in the back, piano is more upfront and blended a bit better with the pads and in general, overall sound is darker ...

Not 100% sure about the final result, but at least it sounds more like looking at a painting rather than no emotional connection :ud:

mp3: https://app.box.com/s/2kcu59704po0t5hctgt9b45psqcrk8zx
wav: https://app.box.com/s/4awxkmm7763ih5vi4h7qppz2x0mudec5

Bjulin wrote:
Davias wrote:
Well, that´s not a bad idea... there won´t be too much confusion then! :tu:
I'll try to work on that for future challenges. In fact, I already do this - but I barely get "reference mixes" to be inspired from.

If we have Bjulin in another future challenge (which I hope), I'm sure we can provide suitable cross-references next time. :tu:

Bjulin wrote:Oh, thank you very much!

Stereo placement / widen: Acon Digital - Multiply, Alex Hilton - A1 StereoControl (both absolutely useful AND free!)
Delay: Native Instruments - Replika (will buy XT in the near future...), FXpansion - Bloom (this is for more complex delays, creative effects)

That´s it... I´m always trying to optimize my workflow. That´s why I´m doing explicit testing sessions of new plugins every now and then. This way I´m not carried away by playing around with new gear when I actually need to compose.
Thank you ! I have a lot reverbs but I have hard time achieving smooth result as you ^^
Using primarily valhalla room, vintage verb / sknote reverbs / free vst :p

A friendly reminder:
Including today, 3 days left to overhaul your mix for Mix Round 2

Compyfox wrote: I'll try to work on that for future challenges. In fact, I already do this - but I barely get "reference mixes" to be inspired from.

If we have Bjulin in another future challenge (which I hope), I'm sure we can provide suitable cross-references next time. :tu:
Great ! ^^

At the same time it is not an obligation too, I guess some artists wouldn't want a specific style, but more to be surprised by different mixes. I think it will be a case per case. But if there is references it is good too. All situations are good ^^

Davias wrote:
Bjulin wrote:Oh, thank you very much!

Thank you ! I have a lot reverbs but I have hard time achieving smooth result as you ^^
Using primarily valhalla room, vintage verb / sknote reverbs / free vst :p
Something very important to me is, that the actual position of the sound is NOT generated by the reverb!
At first, I try to position the sound with detailed settings: 1. General Volume 2. General Pan 3. Multiply 4. StereoControl
When I´m happy and the sound is where I want it to be, I add the ambience with delays/reverbs.
For everything you do, go for detailed settings! AND be very careful with your dry/wet knobs. Effects should always treated as "additions". Make your sound as good as possible and after that, add ambience effects gently.

I hope this helps a bit...

Bjulin, here is my 2nd round entry. I wanted to keep my original direction and at the same time address the concerns stated in your critique. I went for a more balanced mix (thicker), took the emphasis off the Bass in the early passages, restored the fullness of the Piano, and made the Effect @ 47 seconds less distractive. I believe I came up with a pretty good compromise. I hope you enjoy it :wink:

https://soundcloud.com/dr-audio-labs/se ... -2nd-round
Dave McIsaac

A friendly reminder:
We're within the last 24hours!

Return to “Production Techniques”