How far have computers come in the last 5 years? For DAW usage?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

chk071 wrote:No way i would want back to XP after using Vista, 7, 8, 10, simply any OS which came after.
Whatever works and get's the job done.
If you want a slim OS, try Ubuntu Linux.
We discussed this in other thread, XP is slimmer than it and no, I don't want to make music on Linux.
The simple reason that these OS's feel more "bloated" is because they already come with lots of things you'd have to install on a "slim" OS, for simple to more advanced tasks.
Exactly, we don't need that stuff or features for audio.
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Zexila wrote:
If you want a slim OS, try Ubuntu Linux.
We discussed this in other thread, XP is slimmer than it and no, I don't want to make music on Linux.
That should be rather down to generally worse performance on Linux systems then though, or simply because Unity uses hardware acceleration, and effects, which are using more system ressources. On its base, Ubuntu is much more slim than Windows XP, because every Windows comes with lots of background tasks, which you won't need for music making, or even every day use either.
Zexila wrote:
The simple reason that these OS's feel more "bloated" is because they already come with lots of things you'd have to install on a "slim" OS, for simple to more advanced tasks.
Exactly, we don't need that stuff or features for audio.
That's why you can deactivate those tasks, if you know what you're doing. :) MS won't know what you need for your personal tasks, so it has to find the most common denominator, for newbie users, but even for quite advanced users.

chk071 wrote: That should be rather down to generally worse performance on Linux systems then though, or simply because Unity uses hardware acceleration, and effects, which are using more system ressources. On its base, Ubuntu is much more slim than Windows XP, because every Windows comes with lots of background tasks, which you won't need for music making, or even every day use either.
I was using Mint LXDE, MATE and Cinnamon the most, avoided Ubuntu and still stuff like Puppy Linux feels like XP, I'm not speaking in theory, just in practice.
That's why you can deactivate those tasks, if you know what you're doing. :)
Why would I even upgrade in first place and throw money to have same thing I upgraded from.
MS won't know what you need for your personal tasks, so it has to find the most common denominator, for newbie users, but even for quite advanced users.
Advanced and newbies in what, consumer multimedia, they should have edition for pro audio only, but main focus is on portable devices and their respective users and that will not change.

Instead of breaking compatibility with their best OS-es for audio, they (Apple mostly) should ensure their life and everyone happy, than go all in on consumer market without worrying what pro market may want.

Audio forum and we are talking strictly audio, so focus should be audio, if you can't do that, let's drop it, thread is about that mainly and I don't need lectures why Apple or MS need to make money from majority of non audio people, I get it, don't care about it, care about audio.
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Zexila wrote:
chk071 wrote: That should be rather down to generally worse performance on Linux systems then though, or simply because Unity uses hardware acceleration, and effects, which are using more system ressources. On its base, Ubuntu is much more slim than Windows XP, because every Windows comes with lots of background tasks, which you won't need for music making, or even every day use either.
I was using Mint LXDE, MATE and Cinnamon the most, avoided Ubuntu and still stuff like Puppy Linux feels like XP, I'm not speaking in theory, just in practice.
I agree, but that's rather down to the things i mentioned, than the amount of background tasks running.
Zexila wrote:
That's why you can deactivate those tasks, if you know what you're doing. :)
Why would I even upgrade in first place and throw money to have same thing I upgraded from.
Who said that you have to? :) I just said that i prefer about everything which came after XP to it.
Zexila wrote:
MS won't know what you need for your personal tasks, so it has to find the most common denominator, for newbie users, but even for quite advanced users.
Advanced and newbies in what, consumer multimedia, they should have edition for pro audio only, but main focus is on portable devices and their respective users and that will not change.
Now imagine they had to do that for about every clientele they aim for. Should they have dozens of different editions, one for audio production work, one for image editing, the other for video editing, or text processing? For the average Windows user, and also for other users, it's best how it is. It's really no big deal to turn off background tasks, if you want to do special, real time critical work. But then, i didn't switch off anything, and still do music with my machine. Not on a professional level, but there's even special vendors, which sell you optimized systems for those uses.

chk071 wrote:Now imagine they had to do that for about every clientele they aim for. Should they have dozens of different editions, one for audio production work, one for image editing, the other for video editing, or text processing? For the average Windows user, and also for other users, it's best how it is. It's really no big deal to turn off background tasks, if you want to do special, real time critical work. But then, i didn't switch off anything, and still do music with my machine. Not on a professional level, but there's even special vendors, which sell you optimized systems for those uses.
Well, one true pro version for video, audio and picture would do it than, little different demands than average Jo and Enterprise, but sure, Windows is not OS X, difference across versions is not that big and backwards compatibility is better, you can actually tweak the system considerably, which makes it less pain overall, so I understand from where you are coming from.

My main gripe is with Apple and wish I never got into it in first place, would be much happier now on Windows 8.1 for example running DAW of choice, that would ensure another years and years being up to date with everything, Windows 7 is old as 10.6.8, still supported and preferred, 10.9 is 3 years old, newest flagship Logic is not supporting it, just sad. :scared:

We've got clients pulling as much as 4000 stereo voices of disk-streaming polyphony using Kontakt 5.
That would not have been possible (on a single machine) 5 years ago.
Needless to say, it's a decked out machine with multiple SSDs (including PCIe x4).
Jim Roseberry
Purrrfect Audio
www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com

Jim Roseberry wrote:We've got clients pulling as much as 4000 stereo voices of disk-streaming polyphony using Kontakt 5.
Soundcloud? :hihi:

Zexila wrote:
My main gripe is with Apple and wish I never got into it in first place, would be much happier now on Windows 8.1 for example running DAW of choice, that would ensure another years and years being up to date with everything, Windows 7 is old as 10.6.8, still supported and preferred, 10.9 is 3 years old, newest flagship Logic is not supporting it, just sad. :scared:
You of course are free to use what you want in the way you want. Me, I like using Apple machines cause I rarely have to think about them. If you want to feel like you have control of things, Apple may frustrate you. They make more decisions and give less to users. I'm fine with that. I don't like computers. I only like what I can do with them. For the most part Apple makes sound choices that lead to effective productivity. It takes far less effort to just accept it... effort that then goes to doing what I want the machine for in the first place.

My laptop (MBP) is great. I get a huge amount of productive work done with it. It never has any trouble and I just get work done effectively and enjoyably day after day. The MBP is an incredible tool! Their included software is rather good and of course free like the OS updates. There is a common UI method so it is all easy to figure out. I create presentations really fast on Keynote (great piece of free software) Add in FCP, Motion, Logic... all great software and inexpensive.

My current MBP is way better than the one I had 5-6 years ago (which is still running and being used by a friend). I mean that from an overall usability/efficiency perspective. Software talks to other software better. The software itself is better. The battery and speed of the machine is better. Connectivity, printing, wireless/internet speed... it's all faster and easier. So is the OS.

You can still use 10.6.8 if you want... it worked really well. Plenty of software still works fine on it. Nothing stops anyone from getting a machine setup with the OS and software they want and just leaving it as is. However, if you want the latest software/hardware, then you are putting yourself on the train. Then the easiest most productive thing to do is just accept the train.

camsr wrote:
Jim Roseberry wrote:We've got clients pulling as much as 4000 stereo voices of disk-streaming polyphony using Kontakt 5.
Soundcloud? :hihi:
Video game composers... who do huge orchestral mock-ups... as there's not a budget to hire real/full orchestra.
Jim Roseberry
Purrrfect Audio
www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com

chk071 wrote:
memyselfandus wrote: Any specific details?
No. But i'm glad we talked about it.
LOL :D

Quite rude i must admit now... but seemed to be one of those topics, where the OP just throws some sentences in the room, and lets the crowd do what they liked to do with it, and he'll sit back and watch the show. :) The question was pretty lazy to begin with too. But, hey, people adapted to it quite well, and now it's quite a useful thread i guess.

pdxindy wrote:Then the easiest most productive thing to do is just accept the train.
Good points, guess I'm not ready to accept the train because don't like where it goes, I'm on decade old Macbook and have decent desktop quad PC collecting dust, basically I'm on crossroads, don't really like Logic X or new macOS, for sure don't dig new trash cans and retinas, trying and failing to switch DAW's for quite some time, always coming back to Logic 9, if Cubase 9 turns out to be blaah, gonna get second hand Mac Pro and more years out of what I have, than maybe just get with the world and X at some point, but if Steinberg hit the spot, I will dust off my desktop and enter 64 bit world upgrading more RAM and new Windows, we will see, one thing is sure I really want to work on desktop now. :lol:

chk071 wrote:Quite rude i must admit now... but seemed to be one of those topics, where the OP just throws some sentences in the room, and lets the crowd do what they liked to do with it, and he'll sit back and watch the show. :) The question was pretty lazy to begin with too. But, hey, people adapted to it quite well, and now it's quite a useful thread i guess.
Yeah. :hug:

chk071 wrote:Quite rude i must admit now... but seemed to be one of those topics, where the OP just throws some sentences in the room, and lets the crowd do what they liked to do with it, and he'll sit back and watch the show. :) The question was pretty lazy to begin with too. But, hey, people adapted to it quite well, and now it's quite a useful thread i guess.
That is memyselfandus' MO. Straight up trolling on peoples passions by asking slightly pointed questions that fly just under the radar.

The op (no I can't remember that name :lol: ) has been given a ton of grief for being a curious person (remember, he started the greatest of teh threads, for our kitteh loving audience....though the mods changed the title a few times :lol: )

We're all here for the popcorn :D

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”