AMD's a-comin!!!... and Intel's been a-dunnin!!

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

http://wccftech.com/amd-zen-cpu-perform ... e-fx-8350/

Finally. I hope some real competition. I might hold off for a new PC. Hopes fully up; and prepared to be dashed!!!
Last edited by Debutante on Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

It must be very expensive doing R&D into high end processors

Seeing that more than 50% off all devices sold now are using Android OS, means the high end desktop/laptop market is not where users are putting their money, but in phones and tablets.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_sha ... ng_systems

Numanoid wrote:It must be very expensive doing R&D into high end processors

Seeing that more than 50% off all devices sold now are using Android OS, means the high end desktop/laptop market is not where users are putting their money, but in phones and tablets.

Actually, my perception is that higher end computers (both desktop and laptop) still have demand (namely for gamers). It's the lower end segment that is suffering from the competition of tablets. So, R&D in really powerful CPUs still justifies, since there will be demand for them.
Fernando (FMR)

Numanoid wrote:Seeing that more than 50% off all devices sold now are using Android OS, means the high end desktop/laptop market is not where users are putting their money, but in phones and tablets.
Because the general public doesn't really produce anything with that hardware. They (mostly) surf/chat, and play low-end video games. Many people still need powerful hardware for DAWs, DVWs, (digital video workstations), gaming, compiling code, etc., so there will always be a need for more powerful hardware.

The desktop/laptop market is grossly underestimated because they don't upgrade every 6 months to the latest model like the phablet crowd, but they will spend $3,000 building a new pc when they do.

fmr wrote:Actually, my perception is that higher end computers (both desktop and laptop) still have demand (namely for gamers). It's the lower end segment that is suffering from the competition of tablets. So, R&D in really powerful CPUs still justifies, since there will be demand for them.
That is an interesting point, like life in general, in the processor world it is the low level and high level that increases, while the middle level decreases...

it would be interesting to see how AMD chips hold up. i have little hope they ever come up with something of value any more, but competition is always a good thing.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

fmr wrote:

Actually, my perception is that higher end computers (both desktop and laptop) still have demand (namely for gamers). It's the lower end segment that is suffering from the competition of tablets. So, R&D in really powerful CPUs still justifies, since there will be demand for them.
Exactly.

The low end segment largely shifted to tablets and smartphones. It didn't dry away, but just shifted to a different formfactor. Mid to high end users still function on larger devices (laptops and desktops).

Newegg and other parts vendors still seem to do well today.

Besides, manufacturers can cut their costs by just modifying the high end processors down (removing cores, cache, bandwidth). Or, what is often done, using high end processors with manufacturing defects and just locking/closing these damaged cores. Back in the day, that is the way some were able to get quad and tri core processors for dual core prices... they'd unlock the extra cores. :lol:

I also think there is some trickle down with the performance.. last gen's high end is today's mid tier. Last gen's mid tier is today's low end. The market is still alive and well.. the portion of the market that bought 500 budget desktops is now buying 200-500 dollar smartphones and tablets.

Burillo wrote:it would be interesting to see how AMD chips hold up. i have little hope they ever come up with something of value any more, but competition is always a good thing.

Heeeey!

You just watch yourself! OK!

Ahh, but this generation of AMD CPU's has been funded by their venture into the games console market and the fact they are powering pretty much everything on that side that isn't custom. That also means, that if they want to keep the contracts, they need to keep the CPU's coming in order to power future console models.

High-end isn't a focus for AMD. They've said as much themselves and whilst I was holding out some hope for these chips given both the designer behind them and the layout changes being applied, I think the "We've got a 5960X beater" is either going to be cherry picking certain results or full out blowing smoke out of their asses, and that wouldn't be the first time by a long shot!

Everything that's been fed back prior to this suggest an extremely competitive chip when put up against the i7 6700, and you know what, that's all they need to manage to claw back market share and keep the console contracts. The enthusiast class CPU's seen at Intels highend are simply not required by the vast majority of the market, and not competing in those lower yield markets would allow them to maximise the return in the mid-range.

If they can get out a well priced CPU / GPU combo this year (and the current GPU pissing contest is amusing enough in itself), I can see them gaining ground in the larger consumer gaming & home entertainment sector which in itself might just kick Intel's ass enough to awake the slumbering giant and make them make more of an effort with gen7. The badly needs to be the competition in the market, I'm looking forward to benching these when they land. I honestly hope they offer up some decent value chips this time around and offer me a strong enough reason to start working with them again.

I would love to see AMD beat out Intel in the performance department. I could hope that an AMD processor is then just like an Intel without the "bells and whistles". Don't need an APU, SoC, or whatever, just a bona-fide CPU.

considering AMD were first to beat Intel to the market when it comes to integrating stuff into the chip, i find that statement highly ironic.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Kaine wrote:I think the "We've got a 5960X beater" is either going to be cherry picking certain results or full out blowing smoke out of their asses, and that wouldn't be the first time by a long shot!
It certainly would give the company a lot of publicity, which could lead to consumers taking another look at other AMD powered machines as well...

Did they start putting FPUs on every core again? I think that's the main contention of most of their CPU lineup. It's like hyperthreading but worse.

Remember, the consumer is NOT all of the business. All those businesses, all those companies, all the hospitals, all the industry is STILL based on desktop/server based computing.

It's not relevant if ios/android outsells it. That's because every (bleep) needs a cell (I know I now do).

But more powerful computing is always needed because computers run everything.

Besides, how is A.I. going to develop with just a few "colossus's" :hihi:

Burillo wrote:it would be interesting to see how AMD chips hold up. i have little hope they ever come up with something of value any more, but competition is always a good thing.
Whatever it is will keep you very very warm.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”