One Synth Challenge #87: Podolski by U-he (Jasinski Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Podolski

bjporter wrote:Very well said Z.

z.prime wrote:
rghvdberg wrote: So there are all my secrets. I'll go back to being the mediocre song creator that I am, and you can make great mixes with your wonderful melodies and chord progressions... :)
Do I smell the perfect collab?
That quote looks like rghvdberg said that, <wink>, but it was in the z.prime reply.
Sorry, just nitpicking bj.
Anyway I also would love some collabs for a next OSC. With anyone. (me too! me too! Ha..ha...)

And I also agree with z.prime that having all Podolski tracks doesn't help
to avoid a muddy mix (yes its "bad" filter maybe),

my 2C fix: for my entry I used a selective band compressor on each track,
that is a crossover filter and only the band between HP and LP frequency
would be compressed and boosted (with some saturation to add harmonics where missing).
Somehow I could balance the mix that way, gaining the little more clarity.
And if I can dare a hint for rghvdberg : beware of reverbs too.
Last edited by liqih on Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

I'm not a big fan of Podolski, how often is this challenge run?

hate9 wrote:I'm not a big fan of Podolski, how often is this challenge run?
Every month :D .

Check here to see past rounds.

jasinski wrote:Lot's of time spent on this one.
...aaaaand here's the Jasinski entry. Competition over. :clap: I love the OSC for these opportunities to learn from such masters. 8)

Hello, here's my submission. Glad to be back after missing a couple months:

https://soundcloud.com/jmquarles/jmqjmq ... rcuitosc87

used 14 instances of podolski in Tracktion7 with:

1 x Tal rev3
2 x Klanghelm MJUCjr
1 x TDR Nova
1 x TDR slick eq

With all these new entries, I just went from last to MEGALAST! :cry:

a-type wrote:
jasinski wrote:Lot's of time spent on this one.
...aaaaand here's the Jasinski entry. Competition over. :clap: I love the OSC for these opportunities to learn from such masters. 8)
oh come on now :) There are tracks here that I think are more winners than what ever it is I made.

I'm trying to upload a track to soundcloud. Just joined. Keeps saying I need to confirm email, so I click the link, and it starts all over :(

I upgraded chrome. What else? Anyone?

6 hours left, my ears are exhausted and I have a huge headache...
I can't distinguish anymore what sounds nice and what not... my track is going to be a disaster :(

But I wont give up, I'm almost finished :D
Last edited by J.Ruegg on Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

J.Ruegg wrote:6 hours left, my ears are exhausted and I have a huge headache...
I can't distinguish anymore what sounds nice and what not... my track is going to be a disaster :(
Yoooooo! That sounds awesome! In fact, I am changing my track around at the last minute, too. 6 hours FTW!

Hey there, finally decided to try one of these out. Been a lurker around here for a while.
DAW Used:
Reaper v. 5.20
Plug-ins used:
  • Podolski -18 instances
  • EpicVerb -1 instance
  • Limiter No.6 -3 instances
  • MAnalyzer - 1 instance
  • MIDI Humanizer (JS) - 2 instances
  • MStereo Expander - 1 instance
  • Nasty VCS - 1 instance
  • ReaControlMIDI - 1 instance
  • ReaEQ - 7 instances
  • Saturation (JS) - 7 instances
  • TAL Reverb - 5 instances
  • TDR Nova - 12 instances
  • TesslaPro mkII- 5 instances
  • ThrillseekerLA- 2 instances
  • ThrillseekerVBL- 4 instances
  • Slick HDR- 1 instance
So I've given half efforts at making submissions before, but never fully committed. Seeing Podolski on the list though caught my eye and gave me some motivation. Two reasons for the motivation: Podolski is a good synth, and I really would like to own a U-He synth. 

I decided I wanted to make something with a Cinematic Sci-Fi feel. Now I didn't want it to be score, and I didn't want it to be EDM either. Just a song that you listen to that gives some sense of story, exploration, mystery, and even a little loss (you'll know why in the title). I think I accomplished what I set out to do. I really only had a few days to put this song together, because I didn't check the challenge page until about a week ago. As such I had to make a few compromises with the composition and the mix, but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. 

I actually ended up writing part of 3-songs while trying to figure out the sounds in my head. The first one I had come up with a quite convincing Taiko drum sequence, with a decent enough melody. It wasn't cohesive though, and I couldn't transition out if it. Next came a song that was more similar to its current state. Stacked, repeating arpeggios on top of big chords and minimal percussion. This one ended up being a little too simplistic and just dead ended. Finally I got to this song, which I think is very close to what I had in mind. The mixdown gave me a real headache though, which is my own fault. When I have 18 different tracks voicing simultaneously, most of which are polyphonic on their own, it can be a real nightmare to mix right. The mix is not at all great, but it sounds good enough to me with my limited reference sources. (DT-880Pro and Behringer MS16). 

Well, without further ado, here's the song:
https://soundcloud.com/mechanought/mech ... -major-tom
Disco flangus shenanigans

Wow, that sounds great. Give your ears a break for a bit if you're not feeling it. I've ruined many tracks because I kept working on them when I really just needed a break.

Seriously though, great sounding track.
Disco flangus shenanigans

Glad to know I'm not the only one that gets to that point.

jasinski wrote:

Glad to know I'm not the only one that gets to that point.
That point starts before the DAW outputs any sound for me... :dog:

Ok, I got it on to Soundcloud, but I don't know how to get it shared to OSC group. I'll keep digging I guess. First OSC, soundcloud, etc. I will edit or post the FX and stuff in a bit.

https://soundcloud.com/user-56625057

REAPER 5.18-5.20

53 Podolskis

Tracks:
46 ReaEq
6 ReaComp
4 ReaGate
1 ReaVerb
4 ReaVerbate
3 OldSkoolVerb

Main folder:
ReaEq

Main Reverb:
OldSkoolVerb

Mastering audio file:
JS DC filter
ReaComp
Last edited by _A_O_ on Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”