Bitwig...do you like it?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I like it.
I've had a lot of bugs to deal with, incompatible soundcards for instance, and I still get freezes/crashes sometimes. Others haven't had these problems, but plenty of people have.
But it's worth it for me, because the overall design of the workflow is perfect for me, because it has the features you need for recording/mixing AND for live performance. Most of the effects/instruments are good too, the nested device system is great (it's already modular, effectively, you just can't see the wires).

Bitwig has great workflow for certain genres and is improving all the time but like others have said its a V1 so its missing things some people find important.

It would be a nice compliment to Logic, but I don't think it could completely replace it even after V2. I own both Bitwig and Cubase and launch whichever one I feel like using which mainly depends on the genre I want to make. Dance music/random jams is usually Bitwig, ambient/downtempo are in Cubase. Not to say that one can't do what the other one does, but different types of music have very different composition and production needs.

That said you may not realize it but some of Logic/Cubase advanced features may have spoiled you when you go to another DAW and realize you can't use them. Things like VCA faders, feature packed mix console, optimal multi monitor setup etc. To be honest that probably won't matter that much when you are composing but you will notice it when you go to actually do the mix.

One other thing to consider is you won't be able to use any of the included logic plugins you are familiar with which could be a downer. The Bitwig included stuff isn't bad by any means, but you will have to take some time to get familiar with them to get the sound you want. If you use mainly 3rd party stuff this won't matter of course.

The biggest issue I ran into with Bitwig was compatibility with 2CAudio plugins. They would lose their state constantly during production, luckly this is finally fixed in the latest KS beta and unreleased versions of B2/Breeze/Aether.
SW: Cubase 9.5 | Komplete 11 | Omnisphere 2 | Perfect Storm 2.5 | Soundtoys 5
HW: Steinberg UR28M | Focal Alpha 50 | Fender Jazz Bass | Alesis VI25

Voice303 wrote:Bitwig has great workflow for certain genres and is improving all the time but like others have said its a V1 so its missing things some people find important.

It would be a nice compliment to Logic, but I don't think it could completely replace it even after V2. I own both Bitwig and Cubase and launch whichever one I feel like using which mainly depends on the genre I want to make. Dance music/random jams is usually Bitwig, ambient/downtempo are in Cubase. Not to say that one can't do what the other one does, but different types of music have very different composition and production needs.

That said you may not realize it but some of Logic/Cubase advanced features may have spoiled you when you go to another DAW and realize you can't use them. Things like VCA faders, feature packed mix console, optimal multi monitor setup etc. To be honest that probably won't matter that much when you are composing but you will notice it when you go to actually do the mix.

One other thing to consider is you won't be able to use any of the included logic plugins you are familiar with which could be a downer. The Bitwig included stuff isn't bad by any means, but you will have to take some time to get familiar with them to get the sound you want. If you use mainly 3rd party stuff this won't matter of course.

The biggest issue I ran into with Bitwig was compatibility with 2CAudio plugins. They would lose their state constantly during production, luckly this is finally fixed in the latest KS beta and unreleased versions of B2/Breeze/Aether.
Good read, thank´s!
Indeed 2CAudio stuff belongs to my most used plug-ins (especially B2, ...still try to learn Kaleidoscope in a musical way :) )
I used now the Bitwig 8 track for a while and it really seems to be a bit like Live from the layout and workflow. Maybe i´m just used to the Logic UI and workflow because it seems to fit much better for me.
On iOS it´s very easy to connect different DAW´s together and/or routing audio from one DAW into another´s Sequencer, FX etc. in a few seconds.
Is this possible with desktop DAW´s too?
The Bitwig devices are great but Logic´s are just better. Especially Sculpture (which i just began to explore for a while) is outstanding. Lol, maybe my new favourite synth at the moment and i have it since over a year without really using it.
What i like much more in Bitwig is the setup and workflow when it comes to control paramaters of plug-ins via XY etc.
I could bite my ass because i passed the chance to get Bitwig Studio for free with a Seaboard Rise 25, which i bought before that nice easter offer :ud:

It's difficult to choose between Logic and Bitwig, but it's very difficult to return back to any DAW from Bitwig once you get used to the workflow/design and stability, which are my priorities.

I find myself using only Bitwig now without feeling restricted or any desire to open another DAW. It's like when you fall in love and don't look at other women because you don't feel a need to. Now, how long this love is going to live? I have no idea :hihi:

does bitwig have a midi chase note? (like in logic)

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”