[Win7] Delete WinSxS videos? ARGH!!!

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I was doing a lil bit of housecleaning and after running a disk analyisis with CCleaner I noted for the first time ever that there were a number of totally worthless videos (both MPEG and AVI) in the Windows Winsxs folder. I was not allowed to delete them. After numerous and long-winded attempts of giving my user profile (admin) full permissions, I still could not delete these stupid things.

Please reveal to me how I can totally demolish this crap.
Also, if you of any other similar junk that isn't immediately visible, then school me likewise.

How the heck can I not delete friggin' videos...videos that serve nearly zero purpose, even after taking full control of permissions for the folder wherein they are contained? Also...why are they even there and un-deletable via 'normal' means? WTF?!?

I'm wondering if I should load up a Linux distro Live CD and delete them via that route? If that's simpler than going through tons of:
click this in that menu then that in this menu under that tab then under this tab click this and then that and then tick this and then tick that under this tab and then click ok and then when another thing is open click that and this and after this and that click this and then open that then this and then that and then that and then fart this and vomit that and click both this and that and hate this and shoot that and click ok when this and that are open and this and that and click and ok and click and apply and this and that and ok and apply and menu and open and click and that and then this and....

AARRRGGGHHHH!!!!!!! :x :help: :cry:
"The last man on earth doesn't miss anyone at all." - Haujobb, Faith In Chaos

Maybe this might help?
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/lib ... 2147217396

It says it applies to Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2012 R2 but maybe it also works on Win7..
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

Since I did not have my mind about me all I needed was to take the final sip of my last super-duper-late-night/early-morning rum shot and then *poof!*...Unlocker. I installed it and allowed it to be integrated into Explorer. I navigated to the folders CCleaner had noted these COMPLETELY USELESS videos were held within, highlighted them, right-clicked and selected Unlocker in the the context menu, chose Delete and gone! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAHAAAHAAAAAAHAAAAHHAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!
MY system! It belongs to ME and not you, Windows!

Anyway. Yeah.
But I must still wonder: Why is such absolute complete and total 100% utter junk doing within my operating system?!? Guh!

It's well worth reading this to understand exactly what the winSXS directory IS

http://www.ghacks.net/2010/07/24/the-wi ... explained/

Yes, its great to know what it IS, but are there any clues as to why video files would end up in there (linked)?

In the far far future, windows will be able to determine dyn links and report them as a few kb, instead of the files theyre linked to. Ah, the future!

KVR Audio Forum Signature is currently unavailable for your web browser.

Looking it up last night I came across a lot of folks asking if they could delete it since it was huge (and of course the consensus was 'do not' or 'leave it alone' etc. with some explanations why).
However, things such as these multiple odd sample videos (I didn't watch them but from the preview pics they looked as though they may have been people, perhaps kids, riding bikes or something.) being within this oh-so-important directory taking up space for seemingly zero reason.

xNiMiNx wrote:Yes, its great to know what it IS, but are there any clues as to why video files would end up in there (linked)?
My guess would be a badly written installer (maybe they tried to copy the video files to \windows\system for some mad reason).

Just thought that article was good for explaining what windows side by side is, what it achieves and how it does it (and hence why the winsxs folder is so big). So much info on the net just focuses on how to 'fix it' without at thought as to why it's there (and hence why messing with it blindly can be a recipe for disaster)

Crap cleaner and similar utils can do as much harm as good. Most problems Ive seen come from either the user or these utils. They highlight "problems" that don't matter. Take off all the utils (unless theyve caused damage and its too late) and your PC will work fine. They just arnt needed and I treat them as Malware.

Meh. I've been using CCleaner, Puran Utilities, Glary Utilities, JetCleaner, BleachBit, and some others (in tandem) for well over a decade on a number of computers with no issues (and with often noticeable improvements, especially after extended time between clean ups). :shrug:

Correct. Ccleaner is 100% safe and usually finds about 3gb minimum of junk temp non-cache data on systems which haven't had a clean in their lifetime. PC Decrapifier also very useful for uninstalling, as the windows control panel 'program' menu is useless. Some things like Wises registry cleaner you have to be a little careful with, but in no way does it cause anywhere near as many problems as it solves...

"On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 13:11:55 +0000, C_Thakar wrote:

> The reason is that as registry gets bigger, it slows PC down.

Sorry, but that's completely incorrect. The size of the registry has
no effect on the computer's speed.

Registry cleaning programs are *all* snake oil. Cleaning of the
registry isn't needed and is dangerous. Leave the registry alone and
don't use any registry cleaner. Despite what many people think, and
what vendors of registry cleaning software try to convince you of,
having unused registry entries doesn't really hurt you.

The risk of a serious problem caused by a registry cleaner erroneously
removing an entry you need is far greater than any potential benefit
it may have.

Read http://www.edbott.com/weblog/archives/000643.html

Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) since 2003

Ken Blake"

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Fo ... oappcompat

Is the registry a database of information? Does a computer take longer to search through a larger database?

KVR Audio Forum Signature is currently unavailable for your web browser.

Right or wrong. Good or ill, I've never in over a decade and at least 15-20 different computers (my own, families', friends', etc. and repeatedly) never once found a registry cleaner that went 'too far'. I've run one or two that seemed keen to delete things that may be a bit beyond necessary but those always warned of their "deep cleaning" and I never committed to them (the deletion of such reg entries).
I've absolutely never had a run-of-the-mill cleaner (registry or otherwise) over-zealously clean this or that and cause a problem. Any problem. :shrug:

MachFront wrote:Right or wrong. Good or ill, I've never in over a decade and at least 15-20 different computers (my own, families', friends', etc. and repeatedly) never once found a registry cleaner that went 'too far'. I've run one or two that seemed keen to delete things that may be a bit beyond necessary but those always warned of their "deep cleaning" and I never committed to them (the deletion of such reg entries).
I've absolutely never had a run-of-the-mill cleaner (registry or otherwise) over-zealously clean this or that and cause a problem. Any problem. :shrug:
No weird trouble with computers eh? Well thats not true is it?

"Fresh Win7 Home Premium 64 SP1 install, Fresh Hell"

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 6#p6377786

"updates not installing"
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=454448&p=6351598#p6351598

"more trouble"
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=448233&p=6276351#p6276351

Seems to me that you've had no end of problems. This is why I say utils are Malware.

Except that zero of those issues were due to aforementioned utilities.

So, in your attempt to 'prove' you're somehow not clearly biased against various utility programs and they are some sort of detriment, you dug up posts of mine. But, being as physically lazy as you are intellectually you even failed to read the posts to see that the issues were due to reinstalls, resetting to factory settings, and/or linux dual-boot issues (all of which have been resolved btw and all of linked issues took place when not a single program, such as CCleaner, were even present on the system, let alone used).
Bravo.

So, basically, you'll zero in on issues that are very obviously not due to such utilities and at the same time totally ignore my (and others') experience of over a decade with multiple computers showing no issues despite repeated use of multiple cleaning programs used in tandem. A desktop I own that, running XP Pro SP3 is still running today as sharp as it was when first installed in June of '07 (never re-installed, never reset to factory settings, never even used system restore on it..yeah...). My fiance's two computers, my daughter's computer, my fiance's parent's computer, my parent's computer, multiple friend's/family's computers, many multiple friends who do not need my help at all who also use many of these 'dangerous' cleaner programs...no issues in any case over well over a decade and various iterations of Windows. Ah, but yes...they're so detrimental, and look! MachFront had some issues with Windows in a vacuum and a fresh install and Windows alongside Linux! PROOF that cleaners, even though they're not even present, are totes the problem!
Ha ha ha! Wow. Really?

I've got an idea. I've got a great idea! You should write all the authors of these programs such as BleachBit and CCleaner and Glary Utilities and so on. You should pound them down with your knowledge that their programs are a farce and do nothing at all. Regale them with your tales of how, even though hundreds of thousands to even millions of users of their products have used them happily for many years and many computers and with improvements in their systems, are actually instead experiencing 'issues' or that nearly all of them are suffering from some massive collective delusion of positive results.
Please, once you do so and make your solid case (no doubt coupled with "these few super-expert-guys said so, even a guy from something as super-duper-flawless as Microsoft itself, said a thing so it's totes ultra-true!"), return and floor us with the rock-solid absolutes. Until then: Applause.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”