Cytomic "The Drop" Resonant Filter

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Drop

andy-cytomic wrote:
nori.lam wrote:Oh man, sorry to hear about your wife.
Hope she has a speedy recovery.
Thanks! Emma is doing much better, ramping down off the pain killers and able to stand upright, so things are almost back to normal here. I started getting some proper work done last week so things are looking up :tu:
Great news!

I have also suffered from back injuries and know that recovery can take a while. Something that has helped me from recurring injuries is maintaining my core strengthening exercises (i.e. yoga and pilates). Maybe that can help once she is all good again.

Hope its ok to squeeze in a small request :D

I am using Push 2 and Ubermap to generate custom VST mappings to show actual names of banks. its pretty great. Check it out if you haven't heard of it (https://github.com/tomduncalf/ubermap/).

I noticed that the 'Pad' values seem to scroll in reverse order. So knob turning counter-clockwise increases and clockwise decreases. I was wondering if you could reverse the order.

Its not a huge deal but thought it mention it :)

EDIT: All is good! :)

VoidMartyr wrote:EDIT: All is good! :)
Sorry for the slow support, I feel like I'm wading through treacle at the moment, but I do get there eventually.
The Glue, The Drop - www.cytomic.com

nori.lam wrote:
andy-cytomic wrote:
nori.lam wrote:Oh man, sorry to hear about your wife.
Hope she has a speedy recovery.
Thanks! Emma is doing much better, ramping down off the pain killers and able to stand upright, so things are almost back to normal here. I started getting some proper work done last week so things are looking up :tu:
Great news!

I have also suffered from back injuries and know that recovery can take a while. Something that has helped me from recurring injuries is maintaining my core strengthening exercises (i.e. yoga and pilates). Maybe that can help once she is all good again.

Hope its ok to squeeze in a small request :D

I am using Push 2 and Ubermap to generate custom VST mappings to show actual names of banks. its pretty great. Check it out if you haven't heard of it (https://github.com/tomduncalf/ubermap/).

I noticed that the 'Pad' values seem to scroll in reverse order. So knob turning counter-clockwise increases and clockwise decreases. I was wondering if you could reverse the order.

Its not a huge deal but thought it mention it :)
Hey Nori,

Thanks for the good wishes! We both do Ashtanga already, which really helps in keep supple and building strength, Emma actually injured her back doing a cross training session - she's just going to stick to the yoga now!

You're right about the direction of the enums kinda being reversed. They are all the same, so Pad and the Glide Modes all have the 0 value at the top and then when you click the lights go on in a downward direction. I was making this like a dropdown menu / combo box, but when exposed in the host these will then flip direction. Should I flip all of the enum controls the other way around? So then for instance for the Glide Mode there will be Off at the bottom, then 1 Pole then 2 Pole at the top?

As you can see from this older screenshot there used to be Off at the top of the Pad just like the Glide modes:
http://cytomic.com/sites/cytomic.com/fi ... 0830_0.jpg

So possibly I could flip the direction of all the enums, but then flip again the Pad control for the on screen display. I'd prefer to make as few changes as possible, so it may just be better to leave it all alone. In the most logical sense increasing the Pad control should make more and more gain reduction, which is how it is at the moment.

nori.lam wrote: I noticed that the 'Pad' values seem to scroll in reverse order. So knob turning counter-clockwise increases and clockwise decreases. I was wondering if you could reverse the order.
I'm sorry but I don't know anything about push nor Ubermap but it seems really strange to me, shouldn't it be possible to reverse/invert the actuall mapping ín it off itself?

Once again, sorry if that is an obviously thing that can't be done.

andy-cytomic wrote: We both do Ashtanga already, which really helps in keep supple and building strength, Emma actually injured her back doing a cross training session - she's just going to stick to the yoga now!
I found regular yoga helped a lot as well but to be honest, the biggest help I found was pilates as it focusses on the deep core muscles.
andy-cytomic wrote: You're right about the direction of the enums kinda being reversed. They are all the same, so Pad and the Glide Modes all have the 0 value at the top and then when you click the lights go on in a downward direction. I was making this like a dropdown menu / combo box, but when exposed in the host these will then flip direction. Should I flip all of the enum controls the other way around? So then for instance for the Glide Mode there will be Off at the bottom, then 1 Pole then 2 Pole at the top?

As you can see from this older screenshot there used to be Off at the top of the Pad just like the Glide modes:
http://cytomic.com/sites/cytomic.com/fi ... 0830_0.jpg

So possibly I could flip the direction of all the enums, but then flip again the Pad control for the on screen display. I'd prefer to make as few changes as possible, so it may just be better to leave it all alone. In the most logical sense increasing the Pad control should make more and more gain reduction, which is how it is at the moment.
I see what your mean about all the enums being dropdown like menus that increase. I dont think there is a need to change the order of all the enums since they are logical and all start at the top of the list. It is only the Pad that starts in the middle of the list (i.e. 0 and not -12) and it totally makes sense the way it is.

On Push, all the enums work logically, clockwise will increase the values (e.g. off->1 Pole ->2 Pole). Its only Pad that is reversed but I dont know if there is a practical way to have the best of both worlds (i.e. Click Pad to increase but when exposed to Push, the order is reversed).

Its not really a big deal, so if its loads of extra work, just leave it as is.

Thanks and hope your having a good summer!

Kr3eM wrote:
I'm sorry but I don't know anything about push nor Ubermap but it seems really strange to me, shouldn't it be possible to reverse/invert the actuall mapping ín it off itself?

Once again, sorry if that is an obviously thing that can't be done.
Ubermap is pretty much 'bluehand' mapping for VST's on Push so that a user can define their own mappings of all the exposed parameters. AFAIK Live doesnt offer a way to invert parameters on VST's (unless its mapped to a macro), so sadly there is no possibility to invert the values on Push.

Unfortunately Push is not that customizable with regards to device controls but thanks to Ubermap, its at least possible to rearrange parameters now using the native mapping template (i.e. not the 'User' mode).

nori.lam wrote:Unfortunately Push is not that customizable with regards to device controls but thanks to Ubermap, its at least possible to rearrange parameters now using the native mapping template (i.e. not the 'User' mode).
You can actually rearrange parameters in Live directly. That said, it still seems to be a very useful tool to name banks and rename parameters.

BDeep wrote: You can actually rearrange parameters in Live directly. That said, it still seems to be a very useful tool to name banks and rename parameters.
You are right that parameters can be rearranged for VST's but it takes lots of time. Ubermap is just editing a text file, so its way faster and easier.

Its actually made using VST's like the Drop a pleasure, as I can define parameter names, display values and how many parameters I want on each page. I have pretty much stopped looking at my computer screen when using plugins.

Definitely worth checking out if you have a Push 2.

edit-corrected info.

nori.lam wrote:
BDeep wrote: You can actually rearrange parameters in Live directly. That said, it still seems to be a very useful tool to name banks and rename parameters.
You are right that parameters can be rearranged for VST's but it takes lots of time. Ubermap is just editing a text file, so its way faster and easier.

Its actually made using VST's like the Drop a pleasure, as I can define parameter names, display values and how many parameters I want on each page. I have pretty much stopped looking at my computer screen when using plugins.

Definitely worth checking out if you have a Push 2.

edit-corrected info.
Yeah, I still have a V1. Should've upgraded, but this makes it much more interesting for use with plugins though!

@Andy, sorry for the derail :)

News update: here is an audio example of a new filter I've been working on
https://cytomic.com/files/drop-scr-example.mp3

I've also added a variations on the existing filters to make them all clip much more easily so the resonance gets distorted and they sound more nasty. I need some help with naming the knob that does this. What do you think of FSU?

So there will be Cutoff, Resonance, Drive, and FSU for the low and high pass filters. With the FSU knob at 0% the filters behave as normal, but as it is increased various things happen to each circuit to make them nastier.

The modulation also needs changing to allow modulation of this parameter, and with all the new other filter models I've done I think the best way forward is to leave the current version of The Drop as is and make this "The Drop 2", which will be a free update for everyone. I'll release a maintenance build of the current version of The Drop before all this new stuff.

OMG that sounds amazing!

Bring on the FSU knob :)

Damn. Sounds like oscillator sync. Nasty. :)

What would FSU stand for?

I vote for Nasty. You yourself mention it several times :-)

Bathrobe wrote:What would FSU stand for?
F**k Sh*t up

Return to “Effects”