Official Arturia VCollection5 thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

SJ_Digriz wrote:
Ah_Dziz wrote:Are people enjoying the other new additions?
People who enjoy stuff like this are enjoying it, people who spend their lives worrying about font placement and -98db differences in waveform output have their usual torch and pitchfork out. I don't know which camp you usually fall in.
I'm more a fan of added useful modulation and things like integration between products and the way they handle things. As a person who used all hardware, both analog and digital, I could give a f**k if they tweaked some algorithms. Things have to sound pretty bad for me to cry. I was just curious if they had optimized anything or if the new stuff was over using CPU resources. Bummed bout the sampling on the synclavier emu.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

i got to say thanks to arturia for one thing, it seems i got a free update to Analog Lab 2.

Whoever else has v collection 4 would get it also i presume.

So i get to play the presets of the other synths permanently at least.

And it offers enough control for preset tweakers like me.

Cpu is very reasonable, and the gui is wonderful on retina.

Arturia thanks for this, that's a really generous gift. I highly recommend this instrument for presets users, i mean it's like an all in oneon the go sound solution in a laptop.

Ah_Dziz wrote:
SJ_Digriz wrote:
People who enjoy stuff like this are enjoying it, people who spend their lives worrying about font placement and -98db differences in waveform output have their usual torch and pitchfork out. I don't know which camp you usually fall in.
I'm more a fan of added useful modulation and things like integration between products and the way they handle things. As a person who used all hardware, both analog and digital, I could give a f**k if they tweaked some algorithms. Things have to sound pretty bad for me to cry. I was just curious if they had optimized anything or if the new stuff was over using CPU resources. Bummed bout the sampling on the synclavier emu.
The good news is they're all (still) super light on the CPU for the most part. I haven't noticed any of them really pushing my i7 at all, even the new MiniV. The bad news is if you can hear in the 10-15 kHz range you'll hear that they still alias more than other commercial synths from their competitors. Why anyone would be offended by the suggestion that things improve sound wise is kind of beyond me. Bragging about the fact that you don't care much about the sound quality... What is that? Have I wandered into Appalachia and someone's going to tell me "You city slicker's and your zero-feedback filters sure got a pretty mouth." From my vantage point, as a 30 person company they are putting resources into things like Piano V. That's all well and fine, but was the world clamoring for a virtual piano plug in? I rarely see it brought up here or anywhere else. Then, there's the fact that they are the only real company who's got a commercial 2600 emulation. (I no longer count Wayoutware) They're sitting pretty to corner the market on that one and there does seem to be a fair amount of interest in it. So that's my vote. I love the Synclavier, but the rest... There are already good alternatives. I feel they should have focused on updating all the older emulations for the release of 5. I imagine they will give the entire range a once-over. I hope they don't make us wait for V Colletion 6.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

TheoM wrote:i got to say thanks to arturia for one thing, it seems i got a free update to Analog Lab 2.

Whoever else has v collection 4 would get it also i presume.

Arturia thanks for this, that's a really generous gift. I highly recommend this instrument for presets users, i mean it's like an all in oneon the go sound solution in a laptop.
+1
I absolutely agree.
There are so many presets and enough parameters to tweak them. They are between 400~550 for some synths! I think I will be using Lab 2 more than any other Arturia's synth (except Spark 2).

Shame about Spark as it is my to go drum machine. I really was looking for Spark 3, and shame about no integration with BeatStep controller (there are no maps, nothing! I must do it all manually) :x

Aliasing.
I'm not sure what people are hearing there, but I'm sure not. Perhaps it's me.
As such, could someone point out to me two things:
A) An instrument that most definitely DOES NOT alias. It's gotta be something either free or with a demo.
B) An instrument that most definitely DOES alias. (obviously don't give me an Arturia synth here, because I disagree about the aliasing) .. I'm assuming that some free synth out there (that I likely have) most definitely aliases.
I just want to be clear that I'm looking and listening for the right thing.
I used both Voxengo SPAN and Blue Cat Audio's Spectrograph to look for aliasing (BC's has a higher freq. range)
I've been playing and looking in the range from C7 to G9 (the highest note Reaper's MIDI Piano Roll editor can go .. which is also higher than my MiniLab can play)
I tried several Arturia synths, with a few presets but also with pure sine, triangle, and square waves (or as close as I could, dependent on the synth)
Here is what Wikipedia tells me I should be hearing -- and I am most certainly not hearing anything like this with any of Arturia's synths:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aliasing# ... io_example

Plus, if Arturia's synths ARE aliasing, wouldn't that be false advertising, as their manuals clearly and specifically state that their TAE oscillators are alias free? Perhaps the people at Arturia don't know what aliasing is, and people here do? (heh heh ... sorry, I had to :P )

Thanks. :)
I for one think Arturia's synths sound AWESOME!!
I mostly like what they've done with the updates, tho there's some odd omissions and changes here and there. But I'm confident they'll sort such stuff out.

Had the weirdest bug last night.

I had been working with many of the Arturia synths all day with no problems. Suddenly, I pull up Synclavier in a current project and no GUI. The same with all the other Arturia synths but ONLY in Cubase. In MuLab, worked fine. After restarting Cubase a couple of times, I finally had to restart my PC in order to get the GUIs to return.

I have no idea what caused this.

artao wrote:Aliasing.
I'm not sure what people are hearing there, but I'm sure not. Perhaps it's me.
As such, could someone point out to me two things:
A) An instrument that most definitely DOES NOT alias. It's gotta be something either free or with a demo.
B) An instrument that most definitely DOES alias. (obviously don't give me an Arturia synth here, because I disagree about the aliasing) .. I'm assuming that some free synth out there (that I likely have) most definitely aliases.
I just want to be clear that I'm looking and listening for the right thing.
I used both Voxengo SPAN and Blue Cat Audio's Spectrograph to look for aliasing (BC's has a higher freq. range)
I've been playing and looking in the range from C7 to G9 (the highest note Reaper's MIDI Piano Roll editor can go .. which is also higher than my MiniLab can play)
I tried several Arturia synths, with a few presets but also with pure sine, triangle, and square waves (or as close as I could, dependent on the synth)
Here is what Wikipedia tells me I should be hearing -- and I am most certainly not hearing anything like this with any of Arturia's synths:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aliasing# ... io_example

Plus, if Arturia's synths ARE aliasing, wouldn't that be false advertising, as their manuals clearly and specifically state that their TAE oscillators are alias free? Perhaps the people at Arturia don't know what aliasing is, and people here do? (heh heh ... sorry, I had to :P )

Thanks. :)
I for one think Arturia's synths sound AWESOME!!
I mostly like what they've done with the updates, tho there's some odd omissions and changes here and there. But I'm confident they'll sort such stuff out.
Amen...

I neither can't hear it, but I always thought that's just me. At least I also think Arturia sounds great. Maybe people still stick to that "aliasing story" because, maybe an older version was aliasing.
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

zerocrossing wrote:
Ah_Dziz wrote:
SJ_Digriz wrote:
The good news is they're all (still) super light on the CPU for the most part. I haven't noticed any of them really pushing my i7 at all, even the new MiniV. The bad news is if you can hear in the 10-15 kHz range you'll hear that they still alias more than other commercial synths from their competitors. Why anyone would be offended by the suggestion that things improve sound wise is kind of beyond me. Bragging about the fact that you don't care much about the sound quality... What is that? Have I wandered into Appalachia and someone's going to tell me "You city slicker's and your zero-feedback filters sure got a pretty mouth." From my vantage point, as a 30 person company they are putting resources into things like Piano V. That's all well and fine, but was the world clamoring for a virtual piano plug in? I rarely see it brought up here or anywhere else. Then, there's the fact that they are the only real company who's got a commercial 2600 emulation. (I no longer count Wayoutware) They're sitting pretty to corner the market on that one and there does seem to be a fair amount of interest in it. So that's my vote. I love the Synclavier, but the rest... There are already good alternatives. I feel they should have focused on updating all the older emulations for the release of 5. I imagine they will give the entire range a once-over. I hope they don't make us wait for V Colletion 6.
Two things, first is - I can hear the aliasing, glaringly obviously if you go out of your way to do it (play a high note and use the pitch bend to hear the partials folding in the opposite direction)

The second thing is, I have a dumb question which may explain why some can't hear the aliasing. At the moment I am stuck with a cheap audio interface capable of no more than 16bit 48khz. With my previous interface which was able to go up to 92khz I was able to solve (for the most part) aliasing that I had noticed in Reason's Subtractor by running at a higher sample rate (88khz seemed fine.) My understanding is this "issue" exists because Reason does not provide oversampling? So then, I assume that the Arturia products are the same, and that the issue can be reduced/resolved (depending on who you ask I guess) by running at a higher sample rate? Which then brings me to the question of - are most people running high sample rates to begin with?

LOL Well yeah. I'm running at 24-bit 48khz usually, tho I'll sometimes up it to 96khz.
Perhaps that's why I'm not hearing the aliasing, and you are. :)
... and G9 is a ridiculously high note. I even cranked up resonance in the LPF to cause yet more and even higher harmonics, and still heard/saw no aliasing.
That Wikipedia example is pretty clear what I should hear, and I'm simply not hearing that. Sure, I hear some crazy resonances up there, even some weird harmonics, but nothing that sounds like any audio examples of aliasing. Nor am I seeing any fold-back in the spectrograph.
My guess is that it's the 16-bit part causing that.
Be well :)

artao wrote:LOL Well yeah. I'm running at 24-bit 48khz usually, tho I'll sometimes up it to 96khz.
Perhaps that's why I'm not hearing the aliasing, and you are. :)
... and G9 is a ridiculously high note. I even cranked up resonance in the LPF to cause yet more and even higher harmonics, and still heard/saw no aliasing.
That Wikipedia example is pretty clear what I should hear, and I'm simply not hearing that. Sure, I hear some crazy resonances up there, even some weird harmonics, but nothing that sounds like any audio examples of aliasing. Nor am I seeing any fold-back in the spectrograph.
My guess is that it's the 16-bit part causing that.
Be well :)
16 bit or 24 bit won't change aliasing. Aliasing has to do with a steep filter at halve the audio rate. In most cases at 22050Hz. •correction: artifacts. The cheap audio devices should be able to playback artifact-free audio.

The weird thing (and not possible, i thought) i see aliasing at 88200 as well :ud:

This is in ARP2600. A simple block @ 88200Hz. In the upper regions there is a lot going on and by the looks of it, is is aliasing. With a sine, there is no aliasing at these high regions.

As you can see, the tone is at 10K, so in the audible audio range for sure.

Over here is a saw:

And for reference; the Oddity2, a block waveform at 88200Hz, without aliasing (huge difference audio wise as well):

Last edited by exmatproton on Tue May 31, 2016 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

zerocrossing wrote:
Ah_Dziz wrote:
SJ_Digriz wrote:
All the hardware I spent years using aliased very badly. The analog hardware I owned was far too mush of an pain in the ass to use for real work. So the fact that a plugin aliases more than many of it's competitors doesn't bug me much because of the fact that I can use as many instances of it as I want and that it has tons of added useful features past just the ability to recall your settings when loading a song. I know how to program around aliasing to a good enough degree where it has never been an issue that caused me problems.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Ah_Dziz wrote:
zerocrossing wrote:
Ah_Dziz wrote:
SJ_Digriz wrote:
All the hardware I spent years using aliased very badly. The analog hardware I owned was far too mush of an pain in the ass to use for real work. So the fact that a plugin aliases more than many of it's competitors doesn't bug me much because of the fact that I can use as many instances of it as I want and that it has tons of added useful features past just the ability to recall your settings when loading a song. I know how to program around aliasing to a good enough degree where it has never been an issue that caused me problems.
Ah, but we are not talking about using it anyway. We are talking about improving. Arturia claims emulations and we are so kind to provide feedback. Aliasing or not, i will keep using the synths anyway 8)

Farfisa V Flanger Depth Control is audibly "zippering" upon dialing. Can I report that here? I'm just demoing and don't have a serial for the support request yet.

Ah_Dziz wrote:All the hardware I spent years using aliased very badly. The analog hardware I owned was far too mush of an pain in the ass to use for real work. So the fact that a plugin aliases more than many of it's competitors doesn't bug me much because of the fact that I can use as many instances of it as I want and that it has tons of added useful features past just the ability to recall your settings when loading a song. I know how to program around aliasing to a good enough degree where it has never been an issue that caused me problems.
uhhhhhh .... hardware ... aliasing
You DO realize that aliasing is a digital artifact only. Analog synths can't and don't alias. :dog:

artao wrote:
Ah_Dziz wrote:All the hardware I spent years using aliased very badly. The analog hardware I owned was far too mush of an pain in the ass to use for real work. So the fact that a plugin aliases more than many of it's competitors doesn't bug me much because of the fact that I can use as many instances of it as I want and that it has tons of added useful features past just the ability to recall your settings when loading a song. I know how to program around aliasing to a good enough degree where it has never been an issue that caused me problems.
uhhhhhh .... hardware ... aliasing
You DO realize that aliasing is a digital artifact only. Analog synths can't and don't alias. :dog:
There are digital hardware synthesizers too :hihi:

Return to “Instruments”