Dune 2
57%
Spire
43%

Total votes: 134

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Dasheesh wrote:
mrj1nx wrote:I have both, personally i like Spire's sound better but Dune 2's sound designing better, both are top notch.

Dune is more powerful and better sound quality, Spire is more versatile and has better character. I went with character over quality in this case.
Actually, Dune 2 is more versatile. :D

i cant believe people are still debating up to 8 pages in two days :D
Wasnt there a topic already like this?
So where is the KVR moderator ? :D

Elektronisch wrote:i cant believe people are still debating up to 8 pages in two days :D
Let's make a poll where he might be... :D

Cinebient wrote:
Elektronisch wrote:i cant believe people are still debating up to 8 pages in two days :D
Let's make a poll where he might be... :D
I know!
He is inspired playing Dune II 8)

Dune 2 now killing it in the polls.

Cuz KVR peeps are weird. :P

chk071 wrote:Cuz KVR peeps are weird. :P
Mankind is weird!

Cinebient wrote:
chk071 wrote:Cuz KVR peeps are weird. :P
Mankind is weird!
Where's my bagel?

neither, so refuse to select.

Dasheesh wrote:Hey Zero it's my understanding that the pro2, the prophet 12, and the prophet 6 all have the new filters. Which are seriously an upgrade from the old ones. Fatter, rounder, more musical, and I like the sound of digital oscillators mixed with analog filters. SO, I can only imagine the prophet 12 in person. I am a sucker for that desktop unit with it's innovative design though. So clean. I think that desktop unit is going to be discontinued pretty quickly (people bitching about no knobs) and become a future classic. At the moment I'm investing in family, child, and house though so it will have to wait a little while. The 008 impressed me because it was STRAIT CREAM. Nothing but gooey, melted caramel. It's over priced but there so many different creative filter types implemented.... then the lay out... ugh. I'm in love.

Dune two is more of a classic roland sound than a virus sound. I use bazille for roland 100. :)
You're right about the Pro 2 and the 6, but the Prophet 12 uses the same synth-on-a-chip Curtis chip that the 08, MoPhos, Evolvers, Tetras and Tempest use. I feel the 12 went horribly wrong when instead of using the oscillator part of the chip for the traditional analog waveforms, they do all the waveforms digitally, and let me tell you, they suck. Plain and simply suck. The only thing that saves it, IMO, is that they put a lot of interesting effects (both oscillator effects and bus effects) and modulation in it. After a month of focusing on the 12, I remembered I had upgraded to Omnisphere 2 around the same time I got the 12, and decided I needed a break from the 12. After a few really fun hours with Omnisphere 2, the 12 was up on eBay. Don't get me wrong, I love the sound of digital oscs running though analog filters. One of my all time favorite synths was the DW8000. I just don't think DSI did it correct in the case of the 12. The Pro 2, OTOH, that one they did right. I think the oscillator issues aren't as apparent because they used the new filter, which I have now on the Prophet 6 (I think it's the same filter). Now, if they did the Prophet 6VS... That would be a killer. They've got to find a new way of doing their digital oscillators though. Even the Evolver, which I wasn't over the moon about, was way better with it's lower resolution waves. Modal is doing it right, IMO. The .002 is sublime. I've had a harder time finding good .008 demos, though to be honest, I've not been looking for them. (Also focusing on family, child and house. Pesky, ain't they? :lol: )

Maybe I like Dune because it's Rolandy instead of Accessy. I got super excited about the TI after a wavetable demo video series and then got a Snow and ended up not liking the filters at all. I can already tell I like the sound of Dune more then the TI, though I'd like it even more if they let you go a bit more crazy with the resonance. Maybe I'll find a used license one of these days. I just figured out how to run multiple instances of Scope Modular as a single polyphonic synth so I think I'm going to be deep into that for a while. I like the idea of building the synth I want with just the features I'm using.
I've missed Bazille. It came out at a time when I was deep into other things and I think I played with the demo for a little bit and then thought, "I can't wait for Zebra 3 to come out" and never messed with it again. Instead I dove into Sonic Core's Modular, which I like quite a lot.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

What the current poll indicates?
I don't know because I couldn't vote :o both are great synths so I couldn't choose :hihi:

Click on 'show results' to see votes

AnX wrote:Click on 'show results' to see votes
How I didn't notice that :dog:
Thanks.

Hmmm, I expected the opposite exactly due to the popularity of Spire (but I might be mistaken also in this, and Dune 2 might be more popular).

Anyway, what did the OP choose again? :hihi:

zerocrossing wrote: Maybe I like Dune because it's Rolandy instead of Accessy. I got super excited about the TI after a wavetable demo video series and then got a Snow and ended up not liking the filters at all. I can already tell I like the sound of Dune more then the TI, though I'd like it even more if they let you go a bit more crazy with the resonance.
How different we all are. I like the overall sound of Virus TI much more than Dune2, and especially the filters in TI sound much better to my ears.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

why do people get so hung up with genres? I never understood this.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

Return to “Instruments”