Magix buys Sony Creative Software (Acid)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
ACID Pro 8

inkwarp wrote:there is nothing to work ON. acid had slipped into redundancy after some half arsed attempt to implement midi and try and make the mixing aspect of things a little more sophisticated etc.
So why did Magix buy it? :?

Numanoid wrote:
inkwarp wrote:there is nothing to work ON. acid had slipped into redundancy after some half arsed attempt to implement midi and try and make the mixing aspect of things a little more sophisticated etc.
that's for us to find out....

Interesting development.

I expect the Vegas UI to change now, to look... flashier.

I do think Sony did the right thing with the new product for the long haul, going with something new and cross platform. They probably had trouble breaking into the market fully if many pro video editors are maybe on Mac.

They had zero trouble breaking in to any industry, Vegas is used the world over in low to super high end studios, the "Pro" video editors as you put it, care less about which OS they use than what toilet paper is in the loo, if it gets the job done quicker thanything else, you damn well use it haha, that is currently one industry where two hours is the difference between employment and unemployment.
Duh

I wasn't making an argument there, but everything here turns into one.

From what I can tell, Vegas has about a 15% share of the pro market, significantly behind Premiere (over 60%) and Final Cut Pro. I have no desire to argue those numbers, don't care really, but feel free.

Those numbers come from an 89 page industry report that costs $5k. http://www.reportlinker.com/p01056004-s ... arket.html

No idea how prevalent Vegas is in Hollywood compared to Avid or FCP but I assume not that much or they'd probably not be sellng it. But otoh, I don't pretend to know everything so, maybe.
Last edited by LawrenceF on Sun May 29, 2016 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

the reason people use vegas is that it is very intuitive to use and quick to learn. i have used it for many years and still think it is a marvellous program. the price does not reflect that quality perhaps in the same way that people value Reaper very little without finding out that it is just as good if not better than a lot of it's competitors.

inkwarp wrote: the price does not reflect that quality perhaps in the same way that people value Reaper very little without finding out that it is just as good if not better than a lot of it's competitors.
Not sure what you mean. Vegas Pro costs about $600 I think.
Last edited by LawrenceF on Sun May 29, 2016 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

i meant to say in comparison to premiere etc..

would be awesome to get acid pro 64 bit
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

bungle wrote:They had zero trouble breaking in to any industry, Vegas is used the world over in low to super high end studios, the "Pro" video editors as you put it, care less about which OS they use than what toilet paper is in the loo, if it gets the job done quicker thanything else, you damn well use it haha, that is currently one industry where two hours is the difference between employment and unemployment.
Tbh, i do believe that a lot of "pro" video editors use a Mac for their work. Just like many photo editors, and people who make music, or who are generally into arts. I didn't even know that Vegas is Windows only. I thought it was multi platform.

yes, that is an important point to make. i am sure that a cross platform version would have dramatically affected development. it's a little bit like not being able to use Logic as it is mac only... a bit anyway

inkwarp wrote:i meant to say in comparison to premiere etc..
Oh, I got you. What did Premiere cost before they went subscription? I don't even remember tbh, but yeah, to your point, there are video NLE's that cost a good bit more than $600.

khanyz wrote: Then who were Hohner Midia and who wrote the Amiga version of Samplitude?
Not sure about Hohner Midia actually...

The first version of Samplitude was developed for Amiga as a university project - afaik they sold it already back then (pre Magix) which made the Magix founder aware of it and he approached them in order to suggest joining forces (until then Magix was selling computer hardware) - and subsequently they developed Music Maker based on Samplitude, which was their first release for PC. So either way, the core developers were always the same, regardless under which company name Samplitude was published.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Numanoid wrote:
Because in order for apple to buy magix, they needed for magix to eat up another company. Now, apple can convert everything to mac, ditch windows, and rebirth acidized files to take over the world.

i think this will be ok. Put it this way, things were not going well, so how much worse could it actually be? Sony's development pace was abysmal.. So before we judge, let's just at least give magix one chance.. they might surprise us all!

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”