Magix buys Sony Creative Software (Acid)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
ACID Pro 8

I wonder what this purchase will mean for the development of Samplitude/Sequoia? Maybe Sound Forge (including its iZotope DSP modules) and/or SpectraLayers and/or CD Architect will be integrated in Samplitude/Sequoia... I can't really imagine the former Sony music products being sold separately next to Samplitude/Sequoia.

Whatever the DAW future holds... this purchase looks like a pretty damn clever decision to me, and might be the birth of a new big player in the business.

I'm happy to hear this. Sound Forge needs a serious overhaul, and I'll be interested to see what they do with Acid.

It will be interesting to see if Acid gets resurrected and given an update? People are talking about SF having lost interest in it. What I heard quite a while ago now was that the developer who created the original concept and acid stretching algorithms was hired away by the dark side (i.e. Apple) when they were developing Garbage Band. Acid was never the same after that person left and the withering away of the program began. :?:

ravasb wrote:I miss the paint in the clips feature from Acid.
Samplitude and Sequoia already have this feature.
Don't ask me, I just play here.

SODDI wrote:I liked being able to noodge the samples around in time within the clips. It was the most the most artful thing about Acid to me.
Samplitude and Sequoia already have this feature.

I think the main thing that Magix gets with this deal is an expanded team of engineers, and MAYBE a little more market awareness.

Otherwise all the features in the various programs are already built in to Samplitude and Sequoia (and even Samplitude Music Studio for that matter).

MAYBE Magix has the resources now to finally release an OSX version of Samplitude/Sequoia. ???

Maybe Samplitude will adopt the Soundforge/Vegas plugin manager approach. Now THAT would be an improvement over the current disaster.

MAYBE Magix has the resources now to finally release an OSX version of Samplitude/Sequoia. ???
That would be my hope as well! Would be cool! But well.... even Sony's stuff is just windows!
"The 'less-is-more'-guy ... he's an asshole." (Billy Decker)

siriusbliss wrote:I think the main thing that Magix gets with this deal is an expanded team of engineers, and MAYBE a little more market awareness.

Otherwise all the features in the various programs are already built in to Samplitude and Sequoia (and even Samplitude Music Studio for that matter).

Not at all. Sound Forge has many features that you don't find in Samplitude. Loop Tuner, for example, which I use a lot. Also, there's nothing like Spectralayers in Samplitude.
Last edited by fmr on Sat May 28, 2016 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

Sony Creative Software Inc. ("SCS") is pleased to announce that MAGIX Software GmbH (“MAGIX”) has purchased substantially all of the software products and other assets of SCS (“SCS Assets”). As part of this sale, and in accordance with our Privacy Policy, MAGIX will acquire our customer database, including your personally identifiable information, previously collected through our website or otherwise (“Customer Database”). This information was included in the sale to assist MAGIX in providing you with products and services, including those that are no longer offered by SCS.

MAGIX has agreed that it will treat the personal information in the Customer Database in compliance with the law and in accordance with the terms of the existing SCS Privacy Policy. If you have any questions regarding MAGIX’s privacy practices or its treatment of personal information, please contact MAGIX at: privacy@magix.net.

Please note that SCS will continue to own and distribute its Suite of Catalyst-branded products and services, and we will continue to communicate with you regarding those and other Sony products and services. The personal information and other information about you that we retain will continue to be governed by, and treated consistent with, the terms of our Privacy Policy. If you wish to adjust your SCS communication preferences, please follow the process set forth in our Privacy Policy. In addition, you can opt-out from marketing emails sent from SCS or another Sony entity at any time by following the link contained within such marketing emails.

We appreciate the opportunity to have served you and hope to have the opportunity to do so in the future. For further information, including a detailed product list, please visit the Sony Creative Software website.

Sincerely,
Sony Creative Software Inc.
Email I received from Sony/Magix

Karma_tba wrote:Email I received from Sony/Magix
Yeah, I just got that too. Luckily they got my old, soon-to-be-deleted e-mail address.

I am uncomfortable with a third party having access to any of my data, even though I haven't purchased a Sony product in years. Maybe experience has made me paranoid.

Magix have bought up Independence, Samplitude and now Acid

Will Acid take over Magix Music Studio ?

Numanoid wrote:Magix have bought up Independence, Samplitude and now Acid

Will Acid take over Magix Music Studio ?
There's some things I like about Samplitude Music Studio. I got the 2013 version dirt cheap. I wish Beatbox 2, Loop Designer, and Robota were available as VST's not tied to SMS.

Latest version of Sony Acid Pro is 7.0e from 2010?

In case, probably good that somebody else bought it to continue working on it...

Numanoid wrote:Latest version of Sony Acid Pro is 7.0e from 2010?

In case, probably good that somebody else bought it to continue working on it...
there is nothing to work ON. acid had slipped into redundancy after some half arsed attempt to implement midi and try and make the mixing aspect of things a little more sophisticated etc. Sony just let the program die.. . lamentable postings mourning the lack of any big number updates on the user forum as the years slip by. if they had been more aggressive with acid's development i would still be using it I'm sure. i have used soundforge since early days with sonic foundry and even though it's bloated it is still a program i use often. i think that sony software is only made for sony hardware and anything outside of that just withers on the vine.
the thing i would love to see is soundforge integrated into samplitude. something like edison on steroids. Magix can only improve the situation, for me there is cause for hope.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”