June Contest: Gossip

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Time to start thinking about the next contest! I wanted to get the group's input on June's contest theme.

It's not even halfway through the year and we've already lost a lot of really great composers and musicians this year. I think it might be a good time to do a Tribute contest, where we pay tribute to any of music's greats who have passed on in the first part of this year, including but not limited to:

David Bowie
Maurice White
Prince
Isao Tomita
Pete Zorn
Blowfly
Glenn Frey
(and if you want more, Wikipedia "notable deaths of 2016", but it's kind of a bummer)

The idea would not to be sad in our compositions, but to make our entries a celebration of their lives -- not by copying their styles (unless you really wanted to) but to pick up on the vibe they laid down during their lives and turn some of that energy back towards them, wherever they are.

What do you all think? Too soon?
GLHF! (Gandalf Lives, Hobbits Forever!)

:tu:
Good theme, I like it !

Made this one a sticky (and unstuck the April results one to keep the number of sticky threads reasonable).
No longer a moderator.

Thanks! One of these days I'll get spidey powers of my very own! :-)

A very hard theme to do, only heard of two of them, and never listen to their music any of them.

well, there are others...
I mean: other famous musicians died this year.
I guess you don't have to stick with those suggested by Dr'X

I don't have a list but I can add: Lemmy, Jimmy Bain, Keith Emerson, Paul Kantner, Mic Gillette, George Martin of Beatles fame, Lonnie Mack, and I believe there are others I can't recall atm

Merle Haggard was the one that hit me hardest.
No longer a moderator.

Sounds like a good theme to me. More of an "homage" than a tribute, perhaps? Perhaps it could be directed at any person (or people, or movement?) of the composer's choice, rather than someone that necessarily died this year? (just to make it more general?) Celebrate the composers who have come before us and left us an amazing legacy?

Holy cow. I'd forgotten Keith Emerson and I didn't even know about Merle Haggard! 2016 has really sucked, hasn't it?

I think with that expanded list everyone should find someone to pay homage, too. And if you're not familiar with ANYONE in the expanded list now is probably a good time to listen to some music by at least one of them. I guarantee you'll like something by at least one of them... We're all about expanding musical horizons here! :-)

But I have another theme in reserve, too, if this one is a non-starter for too many folks.

Cool theme :tu:
can't sing, can't play, looks awful.....

I like the theme as well. One starting point for listening - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg2KjxNtAiM

Submissions thread is open! Hopefully there's something for everyone in this month's topic!

Well I'm in :hyper:

First it would seem!

I'm recognising the person who, more than anyone else, fired my imagination.
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

folderol wrote:Well I'm in :hyper:

First it would seem!

I'm recognising the person who, more than anyone else, fired my imagination.
Nice track.

DrApostropheX wrote:Too soon?
I think that only applies to jokes, or stuff detrimental to the memory of the deceased. The celebrating of their lives should be start at the eulogy, if not when they were actually still living :tu:

Return to “Music Cafe”