Collaboration tools

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hi,

Can anybody given me some advice on current collaboration tools, and which to choose?

Basically, I want to 'host' a project which anyone can download, and can then ask to collaborate on.
However, I don't want to be tied to a DAW, Id like to do this all via audio stems.
Im not too interested in the 'publicising' part, as I can just share a link to those I think might be interested.
but it must be easy to use for non-techs.
(Im happy for some limitations e.g. export return buses as stems)

Ive had a look at Gobbler, Splice and Blend but they all seem to use daw project files (as far as i could tell, perhaps I'm wrong).... I don't mind a (or multiple) project file to be present, but just want those with a different daw to still be able to use the stems easily, and of course let users collaborate even if they don't have the plugins.

I know I could use github directly, but thats a little complex for some, especially if some how we get merge conflicts, due to two people editing at the same time. (most git guis do not deal simply with this use-case, e.g. a simple take theirs solutions, is binary audio so no potential to really merge)

Is there something for cross-platform/daw collaboration?

Something like this ?
https://www.ohmstudio.com

I haven't tried it yet, but it looks promising :)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
You don't have to know the world to feel it, but you have to feel it to know it

I recommend you have a closer look at Blend. I've only used it to pull stems for one of their remix projects, and it was wav stems. It's tied into Dropbox, so it's pretty easy to use.
Seasoned IT vet, Mac user, and lover of music. Always learning.

I've seen some decent projects and activity on kompoz...

thanks for the comments...

ohmstudio seems to rely heavily on its own daw, which is think is a barrier when trying to work with others.
kompoz, looks interesting, stem based, but appears you can only upload lossy formats without a paid plan, which again might be off-putting to collaborator, but definitely a possibility.

Ive just taken another look at both splice and blend, and indeed they both allow stems only, so thats cool.
I think I'll give both a try, and see what the upload times are like... in the past I found dropbox pretty slow, but perhaps will be ok.

Quick mention that Ableton now offers link, but same network host. Also Bitwig has an online collab as a roadmapped feature, but no release for it yet. Bitwig is however, x-platform on all 3 OS's, but be careful about VST's and plugins on Mac and Linux. Some are not available if you are a real stickler for those kind of things.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for Ohmstudio, i will try it !

Return to “Production Techniques”