May Contest: Voting

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Vote for your Top 10 favorite compositions, in order (most-favorite = #1, proceed downward).

Voting ends on early a.m. (US Central Time), Wednesday, June 1st. It may be just a little while after that for me to tally the votes before the results threads appears.

No voting for yourself. Voters must have had 20 prior posts, or at least have participated in the contest this month.

Once you place your vote, you cannot change it, unless permission has been granted by the moderator.

In the case of equal scores after voting, entries will be separated by how many 10 pts (i.e., how many #1 votes) they got, then 9 pts and so on. (Thanks to OSC for this rule.)

You must participate in voting to win prizes!

A useful link (but please note the caution at the bottom of the page) :
http://farlukar.x10.mx/kvrcontest/

Thanks and good luck!

Enjoyed them all!

1. Jazzaria - Falling
Very nice composition. Do those saxophonists ever stop to breathe?

2. ClaRago - Fire Exit
Great use of harsh alarm sounds and nicely tortured guitar

3. LagunaRising - Flood Alert
True Laguna prog. I really like the way the alarm sound fades in at the end, like coming out of a dream.

4. Bluerobot - Zombie Apocalypse In Ibiza
Definite sense of impending emergency in the first 2 mins. Glitchy perc is nice.

5. davidstiles - Red Alert
Menacingly discordant intro, nice deep bass sounds. The more orchestral section is nice but lost some of the drama of the intro. Nice outro though!

6. Hellfog - Controll me
Nice digital mayhem to kick off. Good track, but lost a bit of its energy in the second half.

7. erictracks - Do I Let Up
Nice production. Enjoyed the change to the high-passed vocals. Fadeout is a bit abrupt.

8. beanpole - 999
Classic beanpole, good use of siren samples. The line about the cat in the tree reminded me of Trumpton. "Pugh, Pugh..." :)

9. Mr Natural - Zika Knows My Name
Nice unusual harmonies at 2:00-ish. Perhaps the echo effect a bit overdone?

Will try my hand at comments this time, FWIW. Great efforts all around! :party:

1 // Jazzaria // Falling
Great treatment of the theme. Genuinely good jazz composition. Would love to hear a real band play it.

2 // Kryptonaut // Thirteen
Another great concept. Nicely executed. Very close to what I would *like* to have done (ominous, but ambient).

3 // ClaRago // Fire Exit
Seriously rocking goodness. Impressive.

4 // erictracks // Do I Let Up
Like the song and production. Like the style of your stuff generally. Ending seemed a bit abrupt.

5 // LagunaRising // Flood Alert
Another good jam. Crazy alarm sound at the end.

6 // davidstiles // Red Alert
Mmm. Bass. And the rest. Like this tune and production. Felt like it lost a bit of oomph with the strings, however.

7 // Hellfog // Controll me
Nice ominous beginning, wandered a bit.

8 // beanpole // 999
Catchy tune. Started strong, but this, too, wandered a bit for me.

9 // Mr Natural // Zika Knows My Name
Liked a lot of the individual elements, but seemed mixed really far back. Was hard to find somethings to grab on to (so to speak).

01 - ClaRago - Fire Exit
02 - kryptonaut - thirteen
03 - beanpole - 999
04 - davidstiles - Red Alert (Should Someone Summon A Hero ?)
05 - Jazzaria - Falling
06 - Bluerobot - Zombie Apocalypse In Ibiza
07 - erictracks - Do I Let Up
08 - Hellfog - Controll me
09 - Mr Natural - Zika Knows My Name

1. Jazzaria - astonishing use of counterpoint - just excellent play of instruments against each other. I love that it swings at the same time as all of these voices working against one another. Very well done
2. bluerobot - very nice groove at the beginning with a lovely little(sequenced?) melody thrown in where I least expected one. Very complex construction
3. davidstiles - Just love that you started with a simple exposition . . . and wish that you had stayed with it. Resisting all of your orchestration impulses which, while amazing, take away from the idea of "emergency". Seriously would have loved to hear what you could have done without the orchestra
4. erictracks - really like the time changes, really like the "modal" key(s) here. Reminds me of XTC
5. Laguna Rising - more atonal lines from your guitars that I have no idea where they might be going. Love that element of "surprise" from your work
6. ClaRago - amazing tones from your PRS(this officially was the GTR player's month). Nice construction
7. kryptonaut - God, I love how Alchemy sounds. Beautiful textures of sound and a nice progression from awe to dread to fear
8. Hellfog - kind of a predictable "emergency" - where is your Les Paul ? :=)
9. beanpole - starts with promise but that rough singing just takes all the pleasure of listening away from me - sorry to say
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

01 - Jazzaria - Falling
Splendiferous stereophonic build up x 2
02 - Hellfog - Controll me
Fittingly anxiety provoking
03 - kryptonaut - thirteen
Soundtrack of the month
04 - Laguna Rising - Flood Alert
… and lava flows from your guitar
05 - erictracks - Do I Let Up
Please don’t , love the voice treatment.
06 - Bluerobot - Zombie Apocalypse In Ibiza.
Ominous Zombinus, really efficient mix.
07 - davidstiles - Red Alert (Should Someone Summon A Hero ?)
Fantastic intro, the tension gets a bit lost in the orchestral part.
08 - beanpole - 999
Great bass line
09 - Mr Natural - Zika Knows My Name
Plenty of interesting material. Not loud enough...

All the tracks were great! Here's my attempt to order them:

1) Kryptonaut - Thirteen - A more eerie approach to the theme, and I thought it evolved at exactly the right pace and in exactly the right direction for my taste.

2) Beanpole - 999 - One of your best songs. I liked the siren-reinforced intro, and the public-service-announcement style lyrics. Great fun.

3) Clarago - Fire Exit - A rocking interpretation that hits hard and captures interest quickly.

4) Jazzaria - Falling - Good jazzy danger, but with some interesting hints of a more classical style too, in my view.

5) Erictracks - Do I Let Up - A solid song throughout. The opening made me think of Top Gun, which I guess is appropriate.

6) Hellfog - Control Me - I absolutely loved the opening, but the later sections didn't sit quite as well.

7) Mister Natural - Zika Knows My Name - Great idea for a track, and you did a great job of capturing something of the feel of the mosquito, I think.

8) bluerobot - Zombie Apocalype in Ibiza - This club danger approach was fun, although it took too long to evolve for my taste (which could just be my lack of familiarity with Ibiza club music).

9) Laguna Rising - Flood Alert - Nice funky style, and nice resolution into a klaxon.

Great submissions all!

1. kryptonaut - Thirteen
Great use of public domain NASA sounds, really like the overall idea, and the music/ambience complemented it well.

2. davidstiles - Red Alert (Should Someone Summon A Hero?)
Well orchestrated, good mix of believable instruments with synth sounds. Seems to kind of straddle underscore w/occasional big hits - could definitely see it as an effective soundtrack for a video short of some sort (especially if the hits were even bigger - maybe longer brass sustains, or more reverb on them).

3. beanpole - 999
Nice juxtaposition of emergency lyrics with what I at least would call a "party" sound. Would work well for a (possibly comedic) public service announcement video.

4. bluerobot - Zombie Apocalypse in Ibiza!
Oddly enough, made me think of the music for "Zombies ate my neighbors!", the classic SNES game, though a bit more modern and glitchy. Nice atmosphere, my personal taste would be to have a stronger lead sound at some point but yeah, my personal taste is pretty unpopular for the style you're going for so don't take my advice too seriously.

5. Laguna Rising - Flood Alert
I like the wandering feeling of the bass. The transition into the alarm is very well done too, though maybe a tiny bit loud. Left guitar felt a tad tighter than right guitar, not problematically so though.

6. ClaRago - Fire Exit
Accurately captures the timbre of fire alarms. Might be even gnarlier if the bass jumped around w/more dissonant intervals occasionally.

7. Hellfog - Controll me
Nice edgy atmosphere, and I like the arpeggiated synth sound midway through. Feels like it should be part of a bigger piece/suite overall.

8. erictracks - Do I Let Up
Nicely "spacey" chords and progression/melody that teases major and minor in a thematically appropriate way. Could be a tiny bit rhythmically tighter (though I totally appreciate how much of a pain it is to do tights fills with software rather than an actual backing band) and maybe a touch faster.

9. Mister Natural - Zika Knows My Name
Good syncopation, hard to really get at more than the rhythm because of the volume problem but I'm glad you've got that figured for next month.

Bluerobot - Zombie Apocalypse in Ibiza!
kryptonaut / Jon Grove - Thirteen
David Stiles - Red Alert (Should Someone Summon a Hero?)
Erictracks - DoILetUp
Jazzaria - Falling
Clarago - fire exit
Mr Natural - Zika Knows My Name
Laguna Rising - Flood Alert
beanpole - 999

erictracks
ClaRago
Jazzaria
kryptonaut
Laguna Rising
Mister Natural
davidstiles
bluerobot
Hellfog
can't sing, can't play, looks awful.....

I find this to be a very difficult task, weighing detailed compositions vs ridiculously good sounds vs abundant creativity. Excellent submissions.

1. kryptonaut
2. beanpole
3. bluerobot
4. ClaRago
5. Jazzaria
6. Mister Natural
7. Hellfog
8. davidstiles
9. Laguna Rising

Return to “Music Cafe”