Image-Line's New "Monetizing" Scheme for FL Studio

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

tooneba wrote:
TheoM wrote: strongly disagree with cross platform software, and when dev acknowledges the problems and has been promising fixes for 8 years. But of course you are entitled to your opinion, and thank you for being polite about it :)
I don't like compatibility issue either. I hope it works off the bat. But it doesn't matter whether cross-platform or not.

Even in the same OS, there is actually compatibility issue - to say nothing of completely different system.
i think we might be getting our wires crossed as i am a bit confused with your post now, but regardless, it doesn't matter, i have zero issue with you, never have, so let's not worry about it. I hope image line fix it one day so i can use it, but i'm not holding my breath. And absolutely, i will continue to call them out on it, cause i don't take BS for products i paid for, even though a few select people here just can't handle that.

tooneba wrote:
TheoM wrote:If i buy cross platform software, i can't always be expected to demo the other platform at the same time. It's up to the DEV to support stuff they sell if they claim compatibility.
No.. It's up to you... You have to test before buy. You are just trying to defend your mistake by making a speech Win vs. Mac. But it won't change the fact you didn't test.
You are wrong, it doesn't always work like that. I bought several IL plugins when I was on Windows, they worked fine. Now I have switched to Mac those same plugins are bugfests. It's ludicrous to suggest someone 'try before you buy' with this scenario - that would have required time travel. It's up to IL to take the Mac platform seriously - they have been dabbling in Mac development for years but it's about time they stopped dabbling and either take it seriously or admit they suck at Mac development and stay Windows only.

aMUSEd wrote:
tooneba wrote:
TheoM wrote:If i buy cross platform software, i can't always be expected to demo the other platform at the same time. It's up to the DEV to support stuff they sell if they claim compatibility.
No.. It's up to you... You have to test before buy. You are just trying to defend your mistake by making a speech Win vs. Mac. But it won't change the fact you didn't test.
You are wrong, it doesn't always work like that. I bought several IL plugins when I was on Windows, they worked fine. Now I have switched to Mac those same plugins are bugfests. It's ludicrous to suggest someone 'try before you buy' with this scenario - that would have required time travel. It's up to IL to take the Mac platform seriously - they have been dabbling in Mac development for years but it's about time they stopped dabbling and either take it seriously or admit they suck at Mac development and stay Windows only.
+1 :)

aMUSEd wrote:You are wrong, it doesn't always work like that. I bought several IL plugins when I was on Windows, they worked fine. Now I have switched to Mac those same plugins are bugfests. It's ludicrous to suggest someone 'try before you buy' with this scenario - that would have required time travel. It's up to IL to take the Mac platform seriously - they have been dabbling in Mac development for years but it's about time they stopped dabbling and either take it seriously or admit they suck at Mac development and stay Windows only.
Again, you mixed up your fault and the philosophy that you think things should be like this or that way.

Yes you have to time travel when you add gears to your set up afterward and are going to "try before buy". But that's how it is. Use/Test in grace period. (a) Working fine. (b)Didn't work. Return. Rules of shopping. Nothing special.

You can continue your "how the computer world should be like" philosophy campaign. But when you hide your fault and try to educate it it just sounds like whinny and not serious at all.

Just my 2 cents.

tooneba wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:You are wrong, it doesn't always work like that. I bought several IL plugins when I was on Windows, they worked fine. Now I have switched to Mac those same plugins are bugfests. It's ludicrous to suggest someone 'try before you buy' with this scenario - that would have required time travel. It's up to IL to take the Mac platform seriously - they have been dabbling in Mac development for years but it's about time they stopped dabbling and either take it seriously or admit they suck at Mac development and stay Windows only.
Again, you mixed up your fault and the philosophy that you think things should be like this or that way.

Yes you have to time travel when you add gears to your set up afterward and are going to "try before buy". But that's how it is. Use/Test in grace period. (a) Working fine. (b)Didn't work. Return. Rules of shopping. Nothing special.

You can continue your "how the computer world should be like" philosophy campaign. But when you hide your fault and try to educate it it just sounds like whinny and not serious at all.

Just my 2 cents.
You are not being logical, how can you try a product on a platform a) you don't yet have access to, b) don't even know you are going to switch to when you buy it and c) most of those plugins were not even available for Mac when I bought them on Windows and some have been in perpetual alpha the last 2 years. What you are suggesting is when someone buys a Windows plugin that they somehow find a way to test it on Mac and Linux too just in case they might one day switch (and that is even assuming the plugin exists at that point on those platforms), that is just daft.

Some people will probably call me an idiot and use all the names under the sun :D ..but there are a few things here that does not add up.

Some people here used to own a PC and Image Line products, and it worked fine. Then some people changed to Mac and the plugins and stuff already paid for did not work, and still does not work. Let's say that IL never promised or said they would work for Mac in the first place, and the situation pretty much would have been the same as now, would that be better? I mean, is it the fact that IL said in the past that they will fix their stuff for Mac as well that is the real problem here?

It is not like you bought software for Mac and used that and everything worked fine. Then all of a sudden IL just decided to stop supporting that and only go for PC / Windows exclusively. As you said, it never worked for Mac. Changing from Mac to PC, or from PC to Mac, is a personal choice and preference according to my believe and as a user ve can't expect all of the software we own to work once we change platform.

There are tons of software exclusively for Mac that I can't use and that is life. Having said that, I do understand you feel it's some waste of money and you can't sell it. I bet all Camel / Alchemy owners feel the same about their situation.
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

I agree, the problem here for me is IL dipping their toes in the water on Mac every now and then but not fully committing one way or the other. If IL said they are only going to be a Windows company like Cakewalk (largely) that's fine, while I would love to see 64 bit fully functioning versions of things like Harmor and Edison on my Mac I can live with the fact that they are not and indeed decided to go for Mac at a time when they didn't have Mac versions anyway. That's fine, it's this claiming to be developing on Mac, teasing us with versions that load but are not fully functional, and claiming to support them but then not, or only in a half assed fashion, that is annoying.

Plus the fact that the ones that are supposedly out of beta and fully functioning like Sakura are still pretty unstable and feel very much like betas.

Over the years it's a personal observation that Windows users tend by default to b*tch about microsoft every time an OS update/upgrade breaks some software while Mac users b*tch about the software devs when Apple upgrades and breaks stuff or requires dev work.

So far, in my experience, IL has been slow but they delivered. E.g. on 64bit. I'd assume Mac versions would be the same.

aMUSEd wrote:I agree, the problem here for me is IL dipping their toes in the water on Mac every now and then but not fully committing one way or the other. If IL said they are only going to be a Windows company like Cakewalk (largely) that's fine, while I would love to see 64 bit fully functioning versions of things like Harmor and Edison on my Mac I can live with the fact that they are not and indeed decided to go for Mac at a time when they didn't have Mac versions anyway. That's fine, it's this claiming to be developing on Mac, teasing us with versions that load but are not fully functional, and claiming to support them but then not, or only in a half assed fashion, that is annoying.

Plus the fact that the ones that are supposedly out of beta and fully functioning like Sakura are still pretty unstable and feel very much like betas.
I understand what you are saying. Promise stuff to customers and then not keeping the promise is a big no no. It is the best way to get unhappy customers.
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

ATN69 wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:I agree, the problem here for me is IL dipping their toes in the water on Mac every now and then but not fully committing one way or the other. If IL said they are only going to be a Windows company like Cakewalk (largely) that's fine, while I would love to see 64 bit fully functioning versions of things like Harmor and Edison on my Mac I can live with the fact that they are not and indeed decided to go for Mac at a time when they didn't have Mac versions anyway. That's fine, it's this claiming to be developing on Mac, teasing us with versions that load but are not fully functional, and claiming to support them but then not, or only in a half assed fashion, that is annoying.

I understand what you are saying. Promise stuff to customers and then not keeping the promise is a big no no. It is the best way to get unhappy customers.
i made my first post and was promised fixes in August 2008.

ATN69 wrote:Some people will probably call me an idiot and use all the names under the sun :D ..but there are a few things here that does not add up.

Some people here used to own a PC and Image Line products, and it worked fine. Then some people changed to Mac and the plugins and stuff already paid for did not work, and still does not work. Let's say that IL never promised or said they would work for Mac in the first place, and the situation pretty much would have been the same as now, would that be better? I mean, is it the fact that IL said in the past that they will fix their stuff for Mac as well that is the real problem here?

It is not like you bought software for Mac and used that and everything worked fine. Then all of a sudden IL just decided to stop supporting that and only go for PC / Windows exclusively. As you said, it never worked for Mac. Changing from Mac to PC, or from PC to Mac, is a personal choice and preference according to my believe and as a user ve can't expect all of the software we own to work once we change platform.

There are tons of software exclusively for Mac that I can't use and that is life. Having said that, I do understand you feel it's some waste of money and you can't sell it. I bet all Camel / Alchemy owners feel the same about their situation.
No no.. ..you are perfectly right. Seeing a fault from IL here? Not really only naive approach to abuse them. Didn't worked out very well. :hihi:
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

aMUSEd wrote:You are not being logical, how can you try a product on a platform a) you don't yet have access to, b) don't even know you are going to switch to when you buy it and c) most of those plugins were not even available for Mac when I bought them on Windows and some have been in perpetual alpha the last 2 years. What you are suggesting is when someone buys a Windows plugin that they somehow find a way to test it on Mac and Linux too just in case they might one day switch (and that is even assuming the plugin exists at that point on those platforms), that is just daft.
It's logical. Check whether it works. Keep or return. That's all.

Changed your testing environment after the grace period and it doesn't work as expected? That sucks. But it's you who changed the working environment.

I know kids these days tend to blame others for their bad decision and expect emergency rescue from them. But that is that. I can see little reasonable argument there.

tooneba wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:You are not being logical, how can you try a product on a platform a) you don't yet have access to, b) don't even know you are going to switch to when you buy it and c) most of those plugins were not even available for Mac when I bought them on Windows and some have been in perpetual alpha the last 2 years. What you are suggesting is when someone buys a Windows plugin that they somehow find a way to test it on Mac and Linux too just in case they might one day switch (and that is even assuming the plugin exists at that point on those platforms), that is just daft.
It's logical. Check whether it works. Keep or return. That's all.

Changed your testing environment after the grace period and it doesn't work as expected? That sucks. But it's you who changed the working environment.

I know kids these days tend to blame others for their bad decision and expect emergency rescue from them. But that is that. I can see little reasonable argument there.
Sorry but you aren't making any sense here. How can anyone check that plugins work on platforms they aren't even developed for yet and don't have access to, it is up to devs to make sure they work when they bring them out. I do realise that takes time and they have had plenty but are still not delivering. I am willing to give them longer but I think at this point it is perfectly reasonable to question their commitment and capacity to meet their initial goals.

How can anyone check that plugins work on platforms they aren't even developed for
So you admit that you bought Win-only software? Where's your problem then? Of course you can be upset or sad and even blame them in public that they opened Pandora's box (if you feel better then) but in the end they still owe you nothing: You bought Win-only software and this product works perfectly fine till today.
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

murnau wrote:
How can anyone check that plugins work on platforms they aren't even developed for
So you admit that you bought Win-only software? Where's your problem then? Of course you can be upset or sad and even blame them in public that they opened Pandora's box (if you feel better then) but in the end they still owe you nothing: You bought Win-only software and this product works perfectly fine till today.
no. We bought cross platform software but we didn't have macs at the time. Well at least I did anyway.

These are not betas i am complaining about. Not alphas. Not demos. full commercial products being sold for osx. From my end i am not talking about any of the alphas of the image line delphi plugins, only the maxx Claster ones which have bee 100% available for mac as full NON beta versions for OVER 8 years. My god you just won't quit will you.

Edit, here you go. It was actually July2008. Besides downloader preset issues (these are worse than ever now, i gave up trying to get my presets recently),Poizone at least did work then on a core 2 duo first gen laptop macbook, with 10x less cpu usage than the current version has. Wow.

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... t=denormal

They tell me to try betas instead of the OFFICIAL release back then, which solved nothing with the AU. Please also look at all the BS, eg promising fixes in 10 days. It's now been 2,900 days, and the cpu issues are worse than they have EVER been, but across the entire Claster range now. Every single one is unusable. Exactly what i said before, Maxx couldn't program mac then, and still can't now, yet they won't hire someone even just as what they call a contact hire to fix the mac versions that are sold as working versions, not as betas. 8 whole years. it's actually mind blowing to put it very mildly.
Last edited by ObsoleteAcc99 on Sat May 28, 2016 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”