So I Wrote A symphony

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

wagtunes wrote:Okay, here is the definition of "samey" that I got from dictionary.com

(informal) monotonous; repetitive; unvaried

I'm sorry, it is clearly anything BUT.

If that is the case, every single symphony ever written is samey.

In this case, you are just plain wrong.

Now if you had just said to me you thought it musically sucked, there's not much I can say to argue with that as that's an opinion. But samey, as a clinical definition, simply does not apply to this piece.
And yet, can you be sure that that was how I was using it?

Back in the day, when you were still making dance music without quantizing, I remember giving you some very positive crit. regarding your more classical works. I think I might even have gone as far as suggesting that it were your calling

I was brought up on orchestral/classical/symphonic music, played in school orchestras, studied classical guitar, and spent much of my childhood at the royal festival hall watching concerts with my parents. Believe me, I don't believe all classical music sounds the same

You claim to have expected everybody to hate it (I don't really believe that, though...), so were all revved up for the imminent battle. I'm sure, once this thread has been beaten to death (Not without your own efforts), you will likely have fulfilled your own prophecy

Either way, I'm done with you. Take my criticism in any way you wish. :shrug:

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
wagtunes wrote:Okay, here is the definition of "samey" that I got from dictionary.com

(informal) monotonous; repetitive; unvaried

I'm sorry, it is clearly anything BUT.

If that is the case, every single symphony ever written is samey.

In this case, you are just plain wrong.

Now if you had just said to me you thought it musically sucked, there's not much I can say to argue with that as that's an opinion. But samey, as a clinical definition, simply does not apply to this piece.
And yet, can you be sure that that was how I was using it?

Back in the day, when you were still making dance music without quantizing, I remember giving you some very positive crit. regarding your more classical works. I think I might even have gone as far as suggesting that it were your calling

I was brought up on orchestral/classical/symphonic music, played in school orchestras, studied classical guitar, and spent much of my childhood at the royal festival hall watching concerts with my parents. Believe me, I don't believe all classical music sounds the same

You claim to have expected everybody to hate it (I don't really believe that, though...), so were all revved up for the imminent battle. I'm sure, once this thread has been beaten to death (Not without your own efforts), you will likely have fulfilled your own prophecy

Either way, I'm done with you. Take my criticism in any way you wish. :shrug:
Then I apologize. I guess my piece sounds however you think it sounds though I still have no clue what that is. Maybe that's for the best.

But you did make it clear you didn't like it, which is fine, and that would have sufficed. My confusion at the use of your term was all on me and my lack of understanding. So I take full responsibility for all of this.

Have yourself a nice day in spite of all.

Well wag, I may be interpreting this thread incorrectly, but if you were expecting the possibility of critiques slanted in a certain direction, (not samey enough) but then got critique going in the opposite direction, then maybe that means you are in fact sitting somewhere near the middle, which is where you want to be. :shrug:
ImageImageImageImage

wagtunes wrote: I don't like girls because they don't have a penis.
WTF are you on about? :o

BTW: Excellent with G major, except F# I don't have to worry about any of the black keys when jamming along

Numanoid wrote:
WTF are you on about? :o
Lady boys

Numanoid wrote:
Doooood, I know, right? Its just dumb. Like, what are we going to do, if you dont have a substantial meat hammer ready to deploy..?
Getting weird in here...
ImageImageImageImage

highkoo wrote:
Numanoid wrote:
Doooood, I know, right? Its just dumb. Like, what are we going to do, if you dont have a substantial meat hammer ready to deploy..?
Getting weird in here...
Indeed, did I write that quote ? :?

I dont know.
Its funny though. :)
ImageImageImageImage

highkoo wrote:Its funny though. :)
Could be, if I knew what a meat hammer is :P
Last edited by Numanoid on Fri May 27, 2016 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wagtunes wrote:Classical music is an acquired taste. This stuff isn't for everybody.
So who is allowed to make a classical music piece?

I mean as OP spent 4 months with GPO, what is inspiration to create a creation?
wagtunes wrote:4 months of my life in Finale 4 with GPO.

Wagtunes,

Congratulations and your classical piece.

I love classical music. I had a Beethoven's seventh addiction but have been clean for several decades thanks to the local chapter of Beethoven's Anonymous. Lately I have been a Sibelius fan.

I thought it was a good for your first attempt at classical music. Who remembers Beethoven's first symphony?

Would be great if an orchestra performed this.

I wish you the best and looking forward to your second and beyond.

Kalamata Kid wrote:Wagtunes,

Congratulations and your classical piece.

I love classical music. I had a Beethoven's seventh addiction but have been clean for several decades thanks to the local chapter of Beethoven's Anonymous. Lately I have been a Sibelius fan.

I thought it was a good for your first attempt at classical music. Who remembers Beethoven's first symphony?

Would be great if an orchestra performed this.

I wish you the best and looking forward to your second and beyond.
Thanks. While it's my first (and last) symphony, it's not my first attempt at classical music. I have 4 CDs of classical pieces that I've done over the years including a piano concerto.

Hello Steven,

I listened to your symphony and I enjoyed it. It sounds like a pastoral symphony so I was imagining the country side and villages and the peoples lives that live there. I think all the movements are good but I probably like the third(scherzo?) movement the most. I think it was at about 3:45 you seemed to toss in a few bars of modern dissonance for some fun.

You do know that GPO 5 is available. The biggest weakness with GPO 4 was the strings and I believe GPO 5 might have improved upon them a little with the inclusion of some of the original Garritan Orchestral Strings. I haven't upgraded yet as I'm now exploring working more with electronic sounds. I'm kind of escaping the musical instrument sounds museum. You never escape the music.

:tu:

fastlanephil wrote:Hello Steven,

I listened to your symphony and I enjoyed it. It sounds like a pastoral symphony so I was imagining the country side and villages and the peoples lives that live there. I think all the movements are good but I probably like the third(scherzo?) movement the most. I think it was at about 3:45 you seemed to toss in a few bars of modern dissonance for some fun.

You do know that GPO 5 is available. The biggest weakness with GPO 4 was the strings and I believe GPO 5 might have improved upon them a little with the inclusion of some of the original Garritan Orchestral Strings. I haven't upgraded yet as I'm now exploring working more with electronic sounds. I'm kind of escaping the musical instrument sounds museum. You never escape the music.

:tu:
Thanks for the comments. I actually did the 3rd movement as a minuet. If you listen carefully, you can hear the 3/4 time throughout.

Thanks for the heads up on GPO 5. I have EWQL libraries but they're not compatible with Finale as in they don't have the articulations built in for it. I wish they did or Finale would finally come out with a version that is compatible with a premium orchestral pack.

If memory serves, this is the first symphony I have listened to this year. I managed to hear this in one, uninterrupted sitting whilst dealing with mail and performing a couple of software updates. As has already been mentioned, the libraries leave something to be desired, but I found the listening experience to be enjoyable. Congratulations on managing to see it through to the end.

Good work :)

Return to “Music Cafe”