SSD setup OS, DAW, SAMPLES, RECORDINGS

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

HI and thanks for the help.

How should I setup up my new computer.

DELL.PC. I7 3.9 Ghz, 12 GB RAM 1600mghz, 2tb hard drive 7200rpm. Windows 7 Premium (takes 38 Gbs i beleive)

I want to buy a SSD (solid state drive). I dont know what sizes to get and how fast they should be.

I would like to replace the 2 TB hard drive with a solid state drive. Also I'm thinking about running Optitex (a clothes design ap.)on a seperate hard drive. Optitex takes up 250 Gbs.

Here are sme questions atleast that I might need to know.

1. On which hard drives do I install the OS windows premium.
2. On which hard drives do I install Live 8 suite.
3. Can or should I run it like this?
SSD #1 Operating system and Live 8 suite DAW
SSD #2 Saved work from Live 8 suite DAW. Also the VST apps themselves.
2TB Hard drive Optitex

am i wrong or is there a better way? thanks :!: :shock: :? 8) :D

also here is a link about SSD's. i just researched a little and thought it might be helpful to people looking to buy one.
http://prowiki.isc.upenn.edu/wiki/Under ... SSD_Drives

SSD as an OS drive is nice but it does not imporve audio performance.
SSD as an Audio drive is foolish
SSD as a samples drive (you didnt list any) is awesome i dont count what comes with live as samples

affordable and plenty fast read times Crucial
faster both read and write Intel 520 series.

Scott
ADK

thank you for your input. I will continue to get opinions as I have found them to differ. I am leaning towards installing the operating sytem and live 8 on an Msata 64 Gb SSD. And then getting something like a 64Gb to 128Gb SSD for saving and samples and Sylenth1. And the 2TB for the 500Gb Optitex app.

If I do it myslef I can do it for under 200. Thanks again for your input. Cheers!

See my sig

MadAnthony81 wrote:thank you for your input. I will continue to get opinions as I have found them to differ. I am leaning towards installing the operating sytem and live 8 on an Msata 64 Gb SSD. And then getting something like a 64Gb to 128Gb SSD for saving and samples and Sylenth1. And the 2TB for the 500Gb Optitex app.

If I do it myslef I can do it for under 200. Thanks again for your input. Cheers!
I ended up getting this

DELL XPS 8500 $1000
3.4-3.9 ghz
12 GB RAM
Intel 520 Series ssd $130
120 GB

I recomend getting a SSD if you want fast load up time. It takes a few seconds to load up a drum rack in ableton live 8 and i really dont have my computer optimized. My round trip latency according to Abelton live preferences is about 26 ms with my Impact Twin and its latest low latency drivers (more stable IMO). 16 bit 44.1.

Also, for the mention. MY old stock M audio Oxygen 49 keyboards wire came loose easily. I replaced it with one from Sweetwater and its loose too but doesn't come disconnected and make me restart my DAW to get connection again.
Ableton Live 8 Suite 64 Bit, Sylenth1 64 Bit,Rapture, Zeta+2,Synthmaster, Dimenison Pro, Mo' Phatt. and Waves plugs.
DELL i-3770 3.9ghz, 12GB RAM, INTEL SSD,
M-Audio Bx8 D2
Oxygen 49
TC ELECTRONIC impact twin 64 Bit
Fast Track Plus
Grace and love

The SSD MSATA discs are nifty for quick start up. And they come in sizes as small as 8GB, costing not much more than €25 :love:

But for a laptop running Win 10 64 bit, how big should such a MSATA be, I mean 8GB is not enough is it?

Also seeing that alot of music software has a tendency to always install on the same drive as the OS (even though a user tell it to install on a separate drive), means that the disc needs to hold more space than just for Windows 10 too

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”