Which Mac only VSTs(particularly for now)& VIs rock?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Heya,
My Dad sadly passed away at the start of the year.
His MacBook Air from 2012 is now mine.
I have almost bricked it,
but managed to revert from OSX El Capitan to Mountain Lion.
This is coz I am running a KMI StringPort as soundcard.
All shipshape and audio streaming as desired.
ATM I have Adobe Audition and Max/msp 6.

I was wondering which Mac exclusive VSTs kick the proverbial.
I wanna get MOTU MX4, but will have to save up-
and for now I am in VST format, not AU.

What do you reckon would be ace?--to play with MIDI routed from a Windows setup.
Marco?hehe

does it have to be a Mac only suggestion or Mac version of something that is at the same time PC

sympathies about your father
If your plugin is a Synth-edit/synth-maker creation, Say So.
If not Make a Mac version of your Plugins Please.

https://soundcloud.com/realmarco

...everyone is out to get me!!!!!!!

nix808 wrote: Marco?hehe
HA! just noticed that
If your plugin is a Synth-edit/synth-maker creation, Say So.
If not Make a Mac version of your Plugins Please.

https://soundcloud.com/realmarco

...everyone is out to get me!!!!!!!

Have you looked into Five12's Numerology? Probably one of the coolest Mac only apps.

Thanks for condolences
Marco(8D), just things we can't get on Windows
Numerology looks real interesting and is new to me, thanks UncleAge(ta!)

MX4....MX4...Logic hmm --acquisitions!

Not VST, but hey, better than Audition for music making IMO :tu:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Logic-Express-9 ... 1857792575
Logic Express 9 is actually the same as Logic Pro 9 - without the following features:
- DAE/TDM support
- DAP (distributed audio processing with Logic Node)
- Surround
- EVP88
- EVB3
- EVD6
- Sculpture
- Space Designer
- Delay Designer
- Linear Phase EQ
- Match EQ
- Multipressor (there is only the 'Preset Multipressor' as in LE7/8)
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Why does it have to be mac only. The best stuff is cross platform. (If you already have a win version, the mac version is often free too)

AnX wrote:Why does it have to be mac only. The best stuff is cross platform. (If you already have a win version, the mac version is often free too)
He wrote the reason why.

He is on PC, but he is newly in possession of a MacBook (my condolences to the OP and family on the loss).

He wants to use the MacBook, with Midi routed from the PC, to the Mac for those plugins that "ROCK." So in other words... what is he missing (that can't be found already on PC) that would be worthy of the effort for this workflow? He is looking for VST (not AU)

AU only. Worth looking into though.

nix808 wrote:Thanks for condolences
Marco(8D), just things we can't get on Windows
Numerology looks real interesting and is new to me, thanks UncleAge(ta!)

MX4....MX4...Logic hmm --acquisitions!
MX4 as an independent plug-in seems to be discontinued. It is now part of Digital Performer 9. I think the only things Mac only that deserve to be bought are Logic and Metasynth.
Fernando (FMR)

elxsound wrote:
AnX wrote:Why does it have to be mac only. The best stuff is cross platform. (If you already have a win version, the mac version is often free too)
He wrote the reason why.

He is on PC, but he is newly in possession of a MacBook (my condolences to the OP and family on the loss).

He wants to use the MacBook, with Midi routed from the PC, to the Mac for those plugins that "ROCK." So in other words... what is he missing (that can't be found already on PC) that would be worthy of the effort for this workflow? He is looking for VST (not AU)
Ah ok, i missed that crucial bit. The answer is, you are not missing anything.

I'm waiting for the v. 2 updates of the Goodhertz.co range. These are great tools some of which fix problems you didn't know you had.

How about panning which doesn't just change volume between left and right channels but also allows you to blend in delay and spectrum based panning? That way, you don't just move the position within the stereo field but can also adjust the perceived width.

Also, check out the tilt eq. With really minor adjustments, you can change the frequency balance from bright to dull without compromising the signal's character.

The Tone Control has a very sweet high end/air band control which to my ears is completely free of harshness.

The compressor and limiter combo does really nice things to the drum buss.

And the tremolo effect can compete soundwise with the Soundtoys one.

But overall, your first investment has to be Logic Pro X. The effects and instruments are second to none at this price point. You could try and go cheap with MainStage and use the Mac as just an instrument but I still prefer Logic as a DAW to everything else. Well, ableton Live for speaking to a very different area in my brain is a great addition :phones:
..off to play with my music toys - library music production.
http://www.FiveMinuteHippo.com

I realize you only want VSTs, but Metasynth is a great standalone choice, and be sure to also get Xx for midi sequencing and conversion. Note, Metasynth plays AU instruments so if you include AU then definitely get Michael Norris' SoundMagic Spectral suite! Both run great on a 2012 Mac, and together will send you into a sonic dimension you could never reach with other software.
Edit: the current version of Logic and Mainstage require Mavericks (10.9.5) and quadcore helps a lot.
Last edited by Michael L on Sun May 29, 2016 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
d o n 't
w a n t
m o r e

Return to “Instruments”