What are your favourite instruments, that are surprisingly low on CPU?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Propellerheads Reasons Thor, Maelstrom, Subtractor are all super low on CPU. I've managed 50 thors with 16 voices polyphony all playing a sound on a old 2ghz Duo Core laptop in Reason 6. It was a silly test, but it goes to show that you can really push Reason if you want to.
:borg:

V0RT3X wrote:Propellerheads Reasons Thor, Maelstrom, Subtractor are all super low on CPU. I've managed 50 thors with 16 voices polyphony all playing a sound on a old 2ghz Duo Core laptop in Reason 6. It was a silly test, but it goes to show that you can really push Reason if you want to.
I'm not really a friend of equaling CPU foot print to sound quality. But in this case... well, you figure. :oops:

chk071 wrote:
V0RT3X wrote:Propellerheads Reasons Thor, Maelstrom, Subtractor are all super low on CPU. I've managed 50 thors with 16 voices polyphony all playing a sound on a old 2ghz Duo Core laptop in Reason 6. It was a silly test, but it goes to show that you can really push Reason if you want to.
I'm not really a friend of equaling CPU foot print to sound quality. But in this case... well, you figure. :oops:
Yah I'm not really fond of the sound quality of these older instruments, but when you put enough of them in a mix it can turn out usable to a degree.

I forgot to mention Zebra, which is really really low on CPU usage imo.

V0RT3X wrote:
chk071 wrote:
Yah I'm not really fond of the sound quality of these older instruments, but when you put enough of them in a mix it can turn out usable to a degree.

I forgot to mention Zebra, which is really really low on CPU usage imo.
ZebraHZ without the DIVA filters as well :D

recursive one wrote:Ofc no, but all are doing something in various parts of the track and none is frozen/bounced
Well yeah, you can prob load a 100 then... the number isnt important. Its whats playing and whats going on in the synth.

AnX wrote:
recursive one wrote:Ofc no, but all are doing something in various parts of the track and none is frozen/bounced
Well yeah, you can prob load a 100 then... the number isnt important. Its whats playing and whats going on in the synth.
It's a real track, more or less complex arrangement (typical for psytrance) A real-world situation, not a stress-test. Some patches are uvison-heavy leads, some are pads with long release, up to 5 synths playing at the same time, up to 5 notes in chords. :?
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

I forgot Sculpture!
Maybe even the most amazing tool for me for what it does and how many instances i can run at the same time. It's kind of magic for me.
I recently experimented with it and the timbre changes it can do within a patch are just above anything else. It just it's easy to get out of control and hard to program.
Also there are a few similar tools but nothing even close to sculpture. It's old but still king for me when it comes to synthesized organic sounding noises.
I mean i love it even much more than Alchemy 2 (but i use extern FX together with Sculpture mostly).

Korg Legacy collection.
Dexed,
Synth1
SQ8L
FM8
Virtual CZ
All full bucket synths.
:tu:

Absynth and Massive.
Sounds and presets for UVI Falcon "Iterata X".
Bazille soundset - Bioethical Genome Modification.

Gforce Oddity2, ImpOSCar2 and Minimonsta are all very very light on my Intel i7 Quad 2.4ghz

Cinebient wrote:I forgot Sculpture!
Maybe even the most amazing tool for me for what it does and how many instances i can run at the same time. It's kind of magic for me.
I recently experimented with it and the timbre changes it can do within a patch are just above anything else. It just it's easy to get out of control and hard to program.
Also there are a few similar tools but nothing even close to sculpture. It's old but still king for me when it comes to synthesized organic sounding noises.
I mean i love it even much more than Alchemy 2 (but i use extern FX together with Sculpture mostly).
Sculpture isn't a vst. It is Logic only.

V0RT3X wrote:Gforce Oddity2, ImpOSCar2 and Minimonsta are all very very light on my Intel i7 Quad 2.4ghz
Oddity2 is way more intense on CPU than Oddity1, unless you're sticking to mono? Try the 'Repetitive Edit' preset on low buffer and play some quick chords, that should tax a couple of cores. Worth it though! :)

For sound quality at low cost I also like Arturia SemV

Hive, considering capability vs CPU load.
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

Never had a spike over 25% on Dune 2. Full unison/voices/release time ect all floored. Absynth 5 is another. FM8. Sunrizer. Waldorf Nave. Harmor. Nemesis.

The rest of my favorites are all piggley little bastards, but i still love 'em.

exmatproton wrote:
Cinebient wrote:I forgot Sculpture!
Sculpture isn't a vst. It is Logic only.
It's an instrument....that was the question in the topic!

Return to “Instruments”