Guitar Effects - low CPU usuage

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi:
Can anyone recommend to me guitar effects software with low CPU usage?
(Similar to Overloud TH3)

Thanks.

Waves GTR3/GTR solo, or the included vst's with Cubase or Motu Digital performer. Oh, I forgot this deal is still going on: https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/products.html

u should mentione if you're on a Mac or a Pc

there are many guitar amp plugins out there, i have a pretty fast i7 so i dunno if its low cpu for you

there is a free version of Amplitube (look around)
http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/amplitube4/

Here is a free version of Guitar Rig
https://www.native-instruments.com/en/p ... /download/

there is alot of freeware too
Ignite amps has many hi-gain(metal) Amp heads
http://www.igniteamps.com/en/audio-plug-ins

but u need a Convolution reverb that can load 3rd party Impulse response files
Impulse response files are just for the cabinets sound not the amp heads

Check google for those
If your plugin is a Synth-edit/synth-maker creation, Say So.
If not Make a Mac version of your Plugins Please.

https://soundcloud.com/realmarco

...everyone is out to get me!!!!!!!

A floor or rack unit.

No, I'm not joking. Amp sims are generally a waste for the following reasons:

-as asked, take too much cpu
-you'll doodle with them CONSTANTLY, make a bunch of dumb videos and audio examples trying to convince yourself it's the real thing (which, it isn't and isn't supposed to be)
-You'll never really make music
-Next week when you've found "the one" ... it'll be something else.

incubus wrote:A floor or rack unit.

-you'll doodle with them CONSTANTLY, make a bunch of dumb videos and audio examples trying to convince yourself it's the real thing (which, it isn't and isn't supposed to be)
Which is exactly what will happen with a Rack Unit too, only you'll have spent as much on one device as on all those other plugins together. :lol:

MidiToGuitar, your reference to TH3 indicates you already own it, why aren't you using that? While I absolutely hate the GUI for amps, it's pretty usable if you only use effects because you can usually fit more than one device in there at once. I don't know of anything with as low a CPU load as TH3.

incubus wrote:A floor or rack unit.

Wise words indeed :tu:
Why won't you delete this account as I have requested Ben ?

the op is asking for "effects", not amp sims

I'd strongly recommend downloading demos of these EFX VST to determine how hard they might hit your processor :
EchoBoy - all the delay, modulation that you could possibly imagine - the distortion is just OK . . .
Tantra - very tweak-able set of multi efx, sequenced modulation - with a nice distortion section

best of luck !
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

I really like using NI FM8 FX version for this kind of thing, has filters, amp sim, distortion, delay, modulation...

That Stompware looks so damn sexy!!

If you have an NI or an IK product it maybe worth checking for upgrade prices, or maybe you already have something as part of your bundle.

Not sure about NI, but IK and PA sims are getting rather heavy on the CPU for an amp sim, but they do sound great. That's generally a good thing, but a bad thing when it comes to wanting something light and CPU friendly.

I guess that's one advantage I've had with using GTR3. It sounds great, good choice of boutique amps, but quite light on the CPU comparatively. I use it for tracking all the time. I'll often choose to leave it in the mix too.

However, in terms of effects I'm thinking most of it would all be pretty light and efficient these days. I don't think you can really go wrong where that is concerned. However, amp sims would require a bit more consideration.

I respectfully disagree w/ Incubus. I've been using Amplitube since like 2008 - don't get me wrong, I enjoy dicking around with new technology and I always have, I'll probably always think it's fun to have a poke at the latest thing. But it is very possible to get good, useful results out of the same amp modeler software for a long time. They got me pretty early by having a THD model back when I first picked up my THD amp and was really loving the sound. It was cool being able to get a really, really similar recorded tone with their early (AT2-era), but not bad Bivalve model without having to mic anything up or make a ton of noise. Proceeded to use that same model for years and years when recording.

(Overloud has a THD model as well I guess, but I had some trouble getting as good of a sound out of the Overloud cab sim system - don't get me wrong, it's not terrible by any means, just not a good workflow match for my preferences so I didn't get as deep into it, not helped by the fact that at the same time I had an AT patch that just sounded great for recording every time I fired it up, having spent some years getting it right :party: )

Anyway. Not like I don't enjoy the thrill of the hunt, too, and I agree it is possible to end up navel-gazing amongst all the crazy preponderance of options available. But if you've got a job in mind for it... :)

GTR3 had weirdly polished sound when I used it, tracking it was already a little too "produced" but it's been a very long time. Didn't it come out in 2007? No new version since? Hey, that's gotta keep the CPU usage pretty low comparatively though. Might be worth a shot just for that.

Return to “Effects”