Apple Alchemy (camel audio) any new features?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Anyone know if any features have been added to Alchemy since the vst was taken away and it was included in Logic? Can you still load alternate tunings?

Any features taken out?

This is some of what was added in the first release:

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2015/08/d ... whats-new/

but it misses out some things, eg there are several new effects (including a convolution reverb) and also some new improved filters, and the morphgrid is more usable now as you can use descriptions of the sounds instead of just numbers/letters

In the last Logic release Spectral FX were also added to the spectral editor.

The only things that appear to have been removed are plugin based microtuning support (apparently because Logic has this on a host level, but that is not to everyone's liking) and SFZ support was replaced with support for Logic's EXS format (however legacy presets all seem to load fine, you just can't make new patches using SFZ).

Also if you have an iPad the old Alchemy controller doesn't work with it anymore, but the Logic Remote does the same job pretty much (plus lots more).

Thank you! Interesting. Would be great if I used logic. So basically with no microtonal support inside the plugin.. It is limited to logics way of doing it.

Logic Pro
- Logic has a global setting for tuning its own instruments. You can import a .scl file.

But they accept only 12-note-octave-repeating scales with max. +/-100 cent deviations from 12tet pitches.

Logic only understands .scl files with this limitation.

Logic is also incapable of changing the tuning via midi or automation

and you can only have one tuning per song.

Yep that's the problem, tuning is per song, not plugins. Although I think Alchemy only supported scl and tun files anyway, but not keyboard mappings, so its microtuning support was not as advanced as some plugins (eg Pianoteq probably has the best).

A bit offtopic, but, is it known how the ex-Camel Audio employees, now Apple employees, are still involved in the development of Alchemy, or other Logic stuff? I really wonder how the deal proceeded. Did they only buy Camel Audio, and the deal was to implement Alchemy into Logic, and after that is done, the Camel Audio guys can relax in the sun, and live happily ever after ;), or are they actually employed by Apple now, and continue to develop Alchemy? And why are they so freaking silent now, and have all vanished from KVR, or other sites where they were pretty involved before? Was the deal to keep their mouth shut until the rest of their lives over the details of this deal, or their future work? This seems so weird really. Especially that at least the guy from Camel Audio who posted the most here always claimed to be an anti profit do-gooder, and now that he or his company smelled money, they took a cr** at their ideals (regardless of what you think of those), and joined the industry they so thoroughly condemned, and detested before.

I'm not expecting someone to know the answer to this, after all they're so secretive about the whole deal, that i doubt that anyone actually knows. But i'd also be interested in your opinions on the matter.

I really hope camelphat is brought over. No sense wasting it.

masterhiggins wrote:I really hope camelphat is brought over. No sense wasting it.
That Space thing is nice too, I'm sure they will bring newest versions of those to X.
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

They removed the heart. And the community. That's all.
Tangled roots perplex her ways.

chk071 wrote:A bit offtopic, but, is it known how the ex-Camel Audio employees, now Apple employees, are still involved in the development of Alchemy, or other Logic stuff? I really wonder how the deal proceeded. Did they only buy Camel Audio, and the deal was to implement Alchemy into Logic, and after that is done, the Camel Audio guys can relax in the sun, and live happily ever after ;), or are they actually employed by Apple now, and continue to develop Alchemy? And why are they so freaking silent now, and have all vanished from KVR, or other sites where they were pretty involved before? Was the deal to keep their mouth shut until the rest of their lives over the details of this deal, or their future work? This seems so weird really.
It's not "weird", it's *exactly* how Apple purchase smaller companies, sometimes for the IP, but mostly for the development talent.

The fact that the Camel deal went down *exactly* the same way that Apple does these things, and like Redmatica before it, and that the Camel guys are *still* silent, suggests that yes, they, or at least some of them, are now working at Apple, likely on the Logic team or the audio team somewhere.

No one who knows will have any more details than that, or what they are working on - could be they continue to work on Alchemy, could be they are working on other Logic features, or other audio-related stuff (Mainstage, Garageband, iOS apps etc etc).

anxiousmofo wrote:They removed the heart. And the community. That's all.
Queue the somber acoustic guitar music and lighter tribute.

masterhiggins wrote:
anxiousmofo wrote:They removed the heart. And the community. That's all.
Queue the somber acoustic guitar music and lighter tribute.
That doesn't strike me as even remotely within the Camel Audio aesthetic.
Tangled roots perplex her ways.

beely wrote:
chk071 wrote:A bit offtopic, but, is it known how the ex-Camel Audio employees, now Apple employees, are still involved in the development of Alchemy, or other Logic stuff? I really wonder how the deal proceeded. Did they only buy Camel Audio, and the deal was to implement Alchemy into Logic, and after that is done, the Camel Audio guys can relax in the sun, and live happily ever after ;), or are they actually employed by Apple now, and continue to develop Alchemy? And why are they so freaking silent now, and have all vanished from KVR, or other sites where they were pretty involved before? Was the deal to keep their mouth shut until the rest of their lives over the details of this deal, or their future work? This seems so weird really.
It's not "weird", it's *exactly* how Apple purchase smaller companies, sometimes for the IP, but mostly for the development talent.

The fact that the Camel deal went down *exactly* the same way that Apple does these things, and like Redmatica before it, and that the Camel guys are *still* silent, suggests that yes, they, or at least some of them, are now working at Apple, likely on the Logic team or the audio team somewhere.

No one who knows will have any more details than that, or what they are working on - could be they continue to work on Alchemy, could be they are working on other Logic features, or other audio-related stuff (Mainstage, Garageband, iOS apps etc etc).
Cheers, dude. That's exactly the info I was trying to get, and actually expected. Shame, but, I guess that's how it can go.

chk071 wrote:A bit offtopic, but, is it known how the ex-Camel Audio employees, now Apple employees, are still involved in the development of Alchemy, or other Logic stuff? I really wonder how the deal proceeded. Did they only buy Camel Audio, and the deal was to implement Alchemy into Logic, and after that is done, the Camel Audio guys can relax in the sun, and live happily ever after ;), or are they actually employed by Apple now, and continue to develop Alchemy? And why are they so freaking silent now, and have all vanished from KVR, or other sites where they were pretty involved before? Was the deal to keep their mouth shut until the rest of their lives over the details of this deal, or their future work? This seems so weird really. Especially that at least the guy from Camel Audio who posted the most here always claimed to be an anti profit do-gooder, and now that he or his company smelled money, they took a cr** at their ideals (regardless of what you think of those), and joined the industry they so thoroughly condemned, and detested before.
Yup, that could be the very definiton of an OT post :wink:

Return to “Instruments”