Do I still need an extra plugins if I've got a good VSTi?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Of course you need more plugins ... why else even come here? :ud:

Learn the tools you already have, THEN start looking into additional tools to supplement the basic tools with additional features (or just a different sound).

My rule is to find a need first and then to look for the right tool. When doing the opposite (find a tool, then look out for an use), most of the time is just g.a.s.
I do indulge to gas sometimes, but it's good to know when it's so.
Another rule of mine is to pay a lot of attention to gas when I don't know the subject well, because it's easy to end up with bad purchases.

So, my default answer to a question like this is to master the things you have and wait before making any purchase. You don't need tons of different eq and compressors to make a record, so it's a good rule to avoid any purchase unless the tool adds something you really need (but first you must know the limits of what you already have). Another good rule is to avoid having lots of similar tools, because then it's harder to choose the tool for the job.

I would avoid Komplete right now. Try to find out what you need first and why. Make a list on a piece of paper and, after a few days/weeks, consolidate it and only then make your purchases. You may end up buying Komplete if it suits your needs (it's possible, it features a lot of sounds and a few processor/fx that can be useful), or you can buy from other brands (maybe a mix of things?).
Try to focus on technique first, then getting additional gear will be easier because you'll know what you're looking for in your new tools (and those new tools can be handy indeed).
free multisamples (last upd: 22th May 2021).
-------------------------
I vote with my wallet.

BDeep wrote:Generally, if you don't know whether you really need something, it probably means that you don't.
This. Clear and concise.
I vote with my wallet.

sin night wrote:
BDeep wrote:Generally, if you don't know whether you really need something, it probably means that you don't.
This. Clear and concise.
Don't listen to these guys. They want all the cool vst's for themselves :P

kk123 wrote:
DarkStar wrote:Get Komplete 10 for its range of instruments, sounds libraries and effects. Do not get any more plug-ins just yet. As the others have said.

Work with what you have and learn how to use them (Komplete 10 will keep you going for months) . You will be surprised / astonished by what they can do for you.

If you find (after several months use) that there are some particular sounds or sound modifications that you cannot get with what you have, then, then and only then, is the time to start looking at other plug-ins.

PS A VSTi may have an EQ or Reverb feature, for example, but you may find that you need more control over the equalisation or the reverb. That's the time to look around. But, be warned, there are lots to look at, don't get distracted by the shiny knobs. ;)
Well said for the last paragraph. That's what I was getting confused. Though Komplete 10 does have EQ/compressor/reverb functions in it, Alloy seems to offer a greater capability in doing these things. So my root question is that if Komplete can complete the task without having the assistance from any other plugins. I will take the advice of you guys and try the komplete first. Thanks a lot.
If I were starting out again, I would love to start out with just Komplete 10 and the tools that come with my DAW. Komplete 10 should cover most bases for you and DarkStar gave great advice for when to even consider looking elsewhere.

Alloy is an interesting tool. There are quite a few who love it and it comes with presets galore (which is can be good and bad). I don't use it, but I own it (acquired in a bundle purchase). The included effects are nice and it is not a bad way to add a decent set of tools, but considering that you are just starting out and considering there are always sale prices on Alloy in some point in the future, it is worth waiting to see what you need first. Get to know Komplete 10 and later explore many options (not just Alloy 2).

thecontrolcentre wrote:
sin night wrote:
This. Clear and concise.
Don't listen to these guys. They want all the cool vst's for themselves :P
I don't have Komplete and I don't use much vst's. On the other hand, if talking about hardware... :P
But I'm dead serious about refraining from purchases.

For example, roughly a month ago I bought a certain fx box, but I think I've been looking at it for more than an year before deciding to actually buy it. I didn't find an use or a need for it, so I didn't buy even if it has been discontinued last year and now it's virtually impossible to buy it new (mine has been sitting at the store for a very long time and they had just that piece...). Then, I found out how it could be useful to me, so I took the plunge and now I'm happy; if I bought it last year it would have probably been just an unuseful collectable item.

I did more than once the mistake of buying an item which ended up being unused because I didn't know well at the time of purchase, so that's why I suggest of paying attention and waiting.
I vote with my wallet.

You can even make a solid mix with just free (but very capable) plugins like the ReaPlugs. Most important is that you must learn how EQ's, compressors, etc. work to get the best results, the plugins won't automatically do it for you :wink:
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

Of course you need more plugins (and you can sell it to me in the marketplace cheaper when you decide to get rid of them :)

of course you need plugins. plugins need you, to survive. it's what they breed in. without you, where would plugins go? :shrug:

hot and ripe, yielding but firm, plugins are what you want, boy! twelve.
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

it's the eternal cycle.

you sow the plugin, nature grows the plugin, then you eat the plugin.

don't leave me! i'm special. let's make kontakt. feel my tremendous power making all your plink plonk dreams feeling really interesting mate.
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

So I took a look at the included stuff in Cubase elements, it is way more than enough: 3 eq's, 4 filters, 11 dynamics processors and a lot of other stuff. Honestly you don't need anything more if you are recording.

If you need instruments (what cubase elements lacks) just get one or a couple of virtual instruments depending on what you need.
dedication to flying

I have Cubase Elements 8 and I know what exactly you need!
http://beatrig.com/product/sidekickex6/

SideKick vst is a must if you want to make side chaining compression. Try the demo first with Cubase El 8. Elements 8 doesn't have support to any kind of side chaining.

This is the main drawback in Elements 8 or, save your money and upgrade to Cubase Artist, as the Artist doesn't have this limitation. The other staff are functional and better to know what exactly you are after when you understand EQ, Compression, ...etc and why there are many kinds of them. You need a very good monitor system and acoustic treatments to hear exactly what they claim!

As others say, take it easy and learn what you have. Then buy your additional Vsti/Vst as you feel the need or understand the differences.

kk123 wrote:I mean, like NI Komplete, having a great variety of instruments included with inbuilt mixing choices like EQ and compressor, do I still need to purchase another plugin, say, from Waves and Izotopes for mixing?
Actually you said that you will possibly buy Komplete 10, so your question seems to be more something like ' I'm afraid the quest will continue even after that big effort....'

And the answer might be in your question : Just get Komplete 10 and see by yourself.

I have Komplete 10, and quite a lot of other plugs. So I think you might need at the very least a few other tools/instruments to produce on a somewhat professional level ( If this is of any interest for you btw). But that's just me, and other people will tell you, or already have, that you can make music with even much less than a suite like Komplete 10, and it's certainly true. The only thing left is : What kind of music, and what tools/instruments do you need ? ( Like in : If you want to score for a classical orchestra for example then K10 will probably be a bit short for you ) And : Will you feel you'll need more after having played with the k10 tools ? Only you can have the answer. I think the first questions you should ask yourself are :1/ Is K10 the best investment to reach my primary goals 2/ How to use what you will get with k10 or other similar combo of instruments/processing effects.
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

kk123 wrote:
fischkopf wrote:No, you don't. Try making producing the best music you can using the plugins you have.
Do you mean I can make it simply using the VSTi itself? I am a newbie, so I don't know if I should purchase the plugins for mixing (e.g. waves, izotope) while the VSTi itself possesses similar functions :(
Vsti is an instrument.
Vst is an effect plugin

You can mix fine with Cubase build in effects.
Learn that, and when you get some experience, you will find out if you need some other fx plugins to reach your goal.
___The Jepptunes___
"Accept All the Good"

Sound design for SQ8L and Alchemy

The lack of sidechain support in Cubase Elements is indeed an important limitation, I would upgrade to a bigger version in case that feature is needed.
Still, there are workarounds for dance music (which, in some situations, are even better than classic sidechain compression), like using a tool like VolumeShaper or XFer LFO Tool or the freeware Tal Filter 2. Or even drawing some automation by hand...

I think that upgrading the daw is something worth (I have the full version of Cubase and I love it), but still I advice to upgrade when you need the features.
I vote with my wallet.

Return to “Instruments”