MIDI sync: Do I need a fancy device to keep my synths and drum machines in time with each other?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have a Zoom drum machine, I hope to get a Roland JDXi, and maybe later a Microkorg and SQ-1 sequencer. I'd like to arrange songs and have the devices play back in time so I can record it all, maybe to tape, no computer involved. Do I need a MIDI patchbay or some other timepiece?
"The Law speaks too softly to be heard amid the din of arms." -- Gaius Marius {Roman consul,soldier}

I'm unsure about the SQ-1, because its midi in is only through usb. That means that you either use it as a master to clock everything else or you need an additional device (like an iconnect midi) in order to send to it the midi clock from standard midi cables without using a pc. Or you may use a Volca or Electribe 2 to convert the midi clock to the analog sync featured on the SQ-1.

The microKorg can work both as a master or a slave for midi clock, it's used only to sync the arpeggiator and the delay time. I found the swing doesn't work well when the microKorg is slaved to an external clock (that's something to keep in mind).

I don't know the other two devices, so I can't offer any specific advice. I guess there are no particular issues at syncing them together (check the manuals, though!); I don't know about the workflow since the microKorg has no internal sequencer (and the SQ-1 is very limited: no memory, just one pattern, no transpose...), I guess it will be mostly a playing live affair.
free multisamples (last upd: 22th May 2021).
-------------------------
I vote with my wallet.

The SQ-1 is nice for live tweaking of CV, but hopelessly impractical for your scenario.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”