UPDATE: T-RackS Saturator X is released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
T-RackS CS T-RackS Saturator X

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:I didn't see this video posted in the thread (sorry, I thought I had posted it when it was out) - we released a quick video showing Saturator X used on drums:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAS7yuLpRhw
I can't believe in 2016 we are still getting sound demos of plugins that are not level matched.

frankjcc2003 wrote:
Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:I didn't see this video posted in the thread (sorry, I thought I had posted it when it was out) - we released a quick video showing Saturator X used on drums:
I can't believe in 2016 we are still getting sound demos of plugins that are not level matched.
I will relay your concerns. Note that level increase can sometimes be part of the sonic end result that is being conveyed thus making it a pertinent component of said result but I understand this is not the case all of the time, of course. You can demo the plugin on your own material if the videos and audio examples supplied do not suit your tastes and needs.

I bought this, and just to say Bravo IK Multimedia. :clap:

Den* wrote:I bought this, and just to say Bravo IK Multimedia. :clap:
Which are your favorite MODES Den ??

cheers

frankjcc2003 wrote:
Not only that, but sound demos are always (ALWAYS) pushed into blunt distortion in order for the effect to be percieved - which kinda defeats the purpose of the plug to begin with (not a problem only with IKM).

So... when level matched + used in moderation (as IT SHOULD) - the effect is much (MUCH) subtler then we can believe it is.

And to paraphrase from Sound on Sound's "Preamp Post-mortem" (SOS December 2012) :
SOS December 2012 wrote:We wanted to know how much variation there would be across eight very different preamp designs, and whether the expensive preamps would reliably outshine their cheaper cousins.
The most striking aspect of the test for Hugh Robjohns and me was the way in which our expectations coloured our opinions...

...But when the files were level-matched and made anonymous, those differences suddenly seemed far smaller, to the point where neither of us felt we could reliably tell them apart in a blind test

SAT-X's interface is very nice, though. I'll keep the JPG.

Beatworld wrote:
Den* wrote:I bought this, and just to say Bravo IK Multimedia. :clap:
Which are your favorite MODES Den ??

cheers
Tape 2, MSTR+6...these two in the first place. However combination with SDRR is even more interesting like Tape + Mixer.
This one is adding something that SDRR doesn't.
:tu:

Burillo wrote:
kj.metissage wrote:Tested some more today, and it's really nice.

The best thing is having 10 modes within one plugin, real handy.

By the way, I'm not sure about the transformer modes (IRON/STEEL). I mean, even when pushed the +40dB, the effect is still subtle. But I may be missing something here, about the way transformers saturate.

Because on other plugins like Mellowmuse SATV or URS Saturation V2.5, it's obvious when pushed. I don't know if those two plugins are faithful to the real deal, but I like how they sound, so I'd like some input about transformer saturation, please.
as noted in my post above, transformer modes actually color the sound more if you're not pushing them. personally i'd like to hear some explanation from IK - whether it's "this is how transformers behave" or "sorry, it's a bug, will be fixed in the next update".
This is how transformers behave - very little distortion, can be used to push the level up and have the “pumping” effect in conjunction with the brickwall limiter.

that's not what i asked, Peter.

my question was, is it normal that transformers color the sound more if you aren't pushing them (like it happens in Saturator-X)? i would expect that, like any saturator, the more you push it, the more effect it has, but with transformers in Saturator-X, the opposite is true.

so, steel mode, input gain at 0 - harmonics generated at -40dB. turn up the gain to 20 - harmonics generated at -70dB. the other modes destroy the sound at similar gain levels, while transformer modes actually color the sound less when pushed. is that how it's supposed to be?
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Burillo wrote:that's not what i asked, Peter.

my question was, is it normal that transformers color the sound more if you aren't pushing them (like it happens in Saturator-X)? i would expect that, like any saturator, the more you push it, the more effect it has, but with transformers in Saturator-X, the opposite is true.

so, steel mode, input gain at 0 - harmonics generated at -40dB. turn up the gain to 20 - harmonics generated at -70dB. the other modes destroy the sound at similar gain levels, while transformer modes actually color the sound less when pushed. is that how it's supposed to be?
That is the answer from the devs that I sent your question to. I'll let them know you weren't satisfied with the answer that they gave about the normal behavior of the transformer modes. If you feel it is an issue/bug please feel free to report it to the team at http://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support/mi/

Edit - Please send details of your findings with all appropriate data if you decide to report your issue, of course, but also send me your ticket number. I'll then be able to make sure certain folks see the info. Thanks.

This one goes in every mix since i got it. Really like the different vibes on different sources.
Vocals, bass, drums and busses. Oh my, on busses..

Peter, have you heard anything with regards to a maybe added Wet/Dry over there in IKM land?

I must admit my expectations are low. :)
It's not very often that IKM devs go back to a released plugin to add features. Even when the devs say they can see the added worth (like with the Multi series).

Anyone compare it to WaveArts Tube Saturator 2? That thing's on sale at the moment and is calling my name.

I'm going to compare it to Klanghelm's SDRR this evening and see how I like it. I try to give new IK plugs a chance just because I've had a lot of good use out of them over the years, this one looks pretty neat (though I too am interested to hear if the issue with the transformer models driving harder at lower levels is a bug or not).

I actually bought this thing because of the Tape 1 and Tape 2 modes. They are pretty interesting in my opinion.. way more transparent in frequency response and "grit" compared to other plugins I have available.

These are exceptionally useful on single drum hits. I find myself reaching for Sat X a lot quicker than U-He Satin, Toneboosters Reelbus or Slate VTM.

From a pure emulation standpoint Sat X algorithms are way less "tapeish" as a whole but instead retain the most useful aspect of tape in my opinion. It's a sort of digital hybrid that works very well on a lot of stuff.

I'm also starting to like the PushPull Solidstate mode on various things. It makes things sound a bit more edgy and punchy in an interesting way, especially if you hit it with very low volume levels.. which is weird but acceptable because there is no noise emulation.

The workflow of Sat X is also very good.. except for one thing. The input gain knob range should also cover negative values. As it is now, it stops at 0dB and can only boost the input. This was such an amazingly silly oversight from IK Multimedia.. it truly makes you wonder about their beta testing team. I have tons of sample libraries, synths and other stuff that immediately distort even with the knob at 0dB. How this went past the developers is just bizarre.

Anyhow, for 34 euros that I paid it feels like good value for money. Would I pay full price for it? No. IK plugins are so devalued anyhow.. it's always best to just wait for a discount.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

MogwaiBoy wrote:Anyone compare it to WaveArts Tube Saturator 2? That thing's on sale at the moment and is calling my name.
I own Tube Saturator 2, I didn't compare them directly but I did quickly demo this on some 808s and I have to say I wasn't impressed. It did nothing for me, I was expecting big things after reading all the opinions and IK have done some good stuff such as the EQ73/81 and Black 76.

There are so many options for saturation now such as Tube Saturator 2, Devastor 2, Satson, Britson, MJUC, Disto, VCC/VMR, Saturn, Trash, Ozone, Satin and more I can't even remember right now. I will give it another go at some point but I'm in no rush...

More misadventures in IK Custom Shop:

1) I have 45 credits
2) I'm browsing the Custom Shop desktop application. I want to buy one of the T-Racks Classic plugins which is 50 credits. I'm 5 credits short.
3) This weekend there is a 20% off sale, so the plugin should be 50 credits - 20% = 40 credits.
4) So the plugin costs 40 credits during the sale. I have 45 credits... I'm good to go, right?

Short answer: NO.

Long answer: When I click on 'Buy' it says... I don't have enough credits! But I don't want to buy it at 50 credits, I want to apply the discount and buy it at 40 credits.

So even though I have 45 credits available for a 40 credit plugin... I can't buy it. I basically have to pay full price for the plugin because I can only apply the disount coupon AFTER buying MORE credits.

I should note that the MINIMUM credit purchase is 25 (25 Euro), so I'm screwed.

What options do I have? This thing is so, so broken.

Return to “Effects”