dark, deep and spacy synth.

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi everyone,

I'm finaly start too understand few things about about production and i would like to start my own one.

I'm looking for a dark, mystic, deep sound. here is some example.

Like the synth starting at 1:01 in that track : https://soundcloud.com/three-hands-reco ... echoes-e-p

and in that one at 4:08 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WA6A49Yir4I

tale of uf vaal or mind against use that kind of synth a lot too i guess.

Anyway hope you can help me to go aead with my prods.

Have a nice day all .

dimitri

when asking these kinds of questions its best to not use adjectives. invariably what happens, as it did in this case, is people dont agree with the adjectives you used. i dont find those sounds to be particularly dark, deep, or spacey in the slightest.

i came in here with an idea of what to suggest to you...but now i cant because your idea of dark, deep, and spacey isnt my idea at all. i make dark ambient (among other things)...so dark, deep, and spacey are kinda things i go for pretty often. i was going to suggest something like dron-e, xosphere, old hg fortune stuff, and absynth...but what you really want is pretty much any old synth.

those sounds were pretty ordinary, and any half way decent synth would work. i think its the effects that do more for those sounds than the sounds themselves.
ImageImageImage

Hello,

I perfectly understand what you mean. It's true compar to ambient or drone music it's not dark. But i feel like there is something dramatic in those noise . Anyway thanks for the answer i'll check to find a good synth for techno and dark house.

Maybe do you have an idea of one that's good to start ?

And about effect, do you maybe know the kind ?

What's your soundcloud, i'll be happy to hear what you do .

Thanks for the answer and advices !!

dimitri

Hi! Fisrt, the tunes I've posted, are really awesome. This genre is called dark progressive or smth like that, is it? I love it but don't know much about producers and labels, could you recommend me somebody to listen to an follow?

For the sounds like that it is hard to recommend a specific synth, this dark/mournful atmosphere is mostly created by arrangement and sound-design (minor scales, sparce arpeggios, long attacks on the pads, clever use of reverb). If I were to make a track like that (I'll most probably try at some point), I'd use Absynth for atmospheres, and Zebra & Diva for synths. Zebra has this strange digital tone which fits this music very well, Diva will contrast it by its fatter, warmer tones.

Also, imo the sounds in the first track (1:01) and in the second one (4:08) are not very similar, or am I missing something?
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Think you will enjoy this recursive one. :tu:

http://www.petardundov.com/
recursive one wrote:For the sounds like that it is hard to recommend a specific synth, this dark/mournful atmosphere is mostly created by arrangement and sound-design (minor scales, sparce arpeggios, long attacks on the pads, clever use of reverb). If I were to make a track like that (I'll most probably try at some point), I'd use Absynth for atmospheres, and Zebra & Diva for synths. Zebra has this strange digital tone which fits this music very well, Diva will contrast it by its fatter, warmer tones.
Exactly, taught about Zebra as well, especially HZ, know as a beginner something else would make more sense, but really feel like this will set you really in the mood with amount of presets and overall capability, especially on long run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rBMb2oijyo
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Zexila wrote:Think you will enjoy this recursive one. :tu:

http://www.petardundov.com/
Not exactly that vibe, but insteresting stuff, thanks!

RECURSIVE ONE :

Yea i love that style of music i'm happy you like it too . Really. Unfortunatly i don't know either a lot of label artists .

You can check those label : -three hands records(italy); -Be free recordings(italy) . Looks like you will find those kind of sound in italy a lot those days .

You can check those artists : ENØS (https://soundcloud.com/enos-1-1), Pisetsky , Night talk (diynamic rec) or hush & sleep.

Ok i will try with all the effects and stuff you advice me.

Btw i just bought a new Mac .. and wanted to download Sylenth 1 (synthetizer) but :

-Sylenth1 is not compatible with ProTools.
-Sylenth1 is not compatible with PowerPC Mac (G4/G5).

Does someone know wtf is that :P ?

I mean did i just spent money for an useless computer ?

And yes the sounds in the 2 track are diferents, but in the same style , the style i'm looking for. The dark progessiv you talk about :P. Btw glad to be finaly able to put a word on that.

ZEXILA :

Ok nice i'll check ZEBRA .. hoping it's works with my mac ..

cause aparently "sylenth 1 " for example can't be used with new mac book 15".

Do you maybe know what is going on ?

recursive one wrote:
For the sounds like that it is hard to recommend a specific synth, this dark/mournful atmosphere is mostly created by arrangement and sound-design (minor scales, sparce arpeggios, long attacks on the pads, clever use of reverb).
yes...this is what i meant when i said just about any synth would do. just about any synth you might already have can accomplish this. its more about the arrangement and effects. the examples you gave were pretty run of the mill bass and pluck sounds. it was how they were used that gave them the qualities youre after.

you seem to be asking how to achieve sound quality as opposed to sound characteristics. like asking "what synths make an uplifting, happy, trance track everyone will love?" well, nearly any of them...thats where skill and talent come in.

i dont mean to sound like an a-hole, and i apologize if thats how that comes off. its simply the truth. youre asking the wrong question is all.

now as far as suggesting a synth...as mentioned...zebra is excellent, you cant really go wrong there. also for what it sounds like you want to do...id look into dune2. id say serum (which i prefer over both zebra and dune2)...but i think you might get more mileage out of dune2. its not really a matter of which one is "better" as much of which is the best fit for your needs.
ImageImageImage

Dimi tri wrote:
Btw i just bought a new Mac .. and wanted to download Sylenth 1 (synthetizer) but :

cause aparently "sylenth 1 " for example can't be used with new mac book 15".

Do you maybe know what is going on ?
Synth Edit is the problem. Plugins made with SE (such as Sylenth) are PC (windows) only. They are also 32bit only.

thecontrolcentre wrote: Synth Edit is the problem. Plugins made with SE (such as Sylenth) are PC (windows) only. They are also 32bit only.
Sylenth is not made with SE, you are confusing it with Synth 1.

Dmi tri, check out Hive by Uhe, it is similar to Sylenth by functions and sound and like other Uhe plugins it should come in any existing format.

ENØS is really nice, thanks!

recursive one wrote:
thecontrolcentre wrote: Synth Edit is the problem. Plugins made with SE (such as Sylenth) are PC (windows) only. They are also 32bit only.
Sylenth is not made with SE, you are confusing it with Synth 1.
!
I have read threads on KVR about Sylenth being made with SE ... no mix up with Synth1. Maybe Sylenth2 is different?

Iirc, I've read that Lennard only used SE for early GUI sketching or something like that. Sylenth has been both 32 and 64 bit at Win for ages, recently they also added Mac 64 support.

recursive one wrote:Iirc, I've read that Lennard only used SE for early GUI sketching or something like that. Sylenth has been both 32 and 64 bit at Win for ages, recently they also added Mac 64 support.
Thanks. My mistake. :oops:

Sometimes when some sounds seem drak in reality what is hapenning is that the composition is a minor or other key that naturaly sounds "dark", for example Hungarian Minor. Here are two improvisations I made in two different keys:

hungarian minor:
https://soundcloud.com/rod_zero/spring-night

Minor pentatonic
https://soundcloud.com/rod_zero/spring-morning

The sounds are quite smilar (pianos and pads) but what sounds dark or shiny is related mroe to the group of notes used.

So i would suggest you explore different scales.

As for the kind of sounds in those tracks they are classic sounds from substractive synths, with some analog flavour so I would recomend u.he Diva as a starting point for your search.
dedication to flying

Dimi tri wrote:

And yes the sounds in the 2 track are diferents, but in the same style , the style i'm looking for. The dark progessiv you talk about :P. Btw glad to be finaly able to put a word on that.
PowerPC Mac are ancient, usable but you will find very hard to find software compatible with it now, you should have asked about this first. Don't be sucked in to the "Only Mac for music production" mentality, a decent PC will crush that ancient computer.

Also, are you using protools? it will be an old version using the previous plug in format and because of that you selection of plug ins will be even more limited.

Also I wouldn't recommend protools for electronic music at all, first it's MIDI features are basic, second it is very ineficient using computer resources when loading plug ins.

So look for other program: Ableton live (for the music you wanna make the included instruments will serve you well), FL Studio, Studio One, Reaper, Cubase and logic.
dedication to flying

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”