Magix buys Sony Creative Software (Acid)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
ACID Pro 8

VariKusBrainZ wrote:Reminds me of the doom forecast when Adobe aquired Cool Edit
+1

VariKusBrainZ wrote:Reminds me of the doom forecast when Adobe aquired Cool Edit
So what you are saying is that people that use the products now are in deep shit?

asksol wrote:This is just horrible, I use Sound Forge Pro on mac all the time. I really hope this is a acquihire so the same people will be working on the products at least. If the name changes to Magix Sound Forge I will be out of there real quick as I don't want to be caught using it.
really? you don't like the possible NAME?"
as far as magix as a company is concerned, they make samplitude and sequoia which are awesome DAWs. I was more concerned when sony bought out Sonic Foundry et al and even though soundforge still remains a solid program ( if more than a little bloated now) they destroyed acid by ceasing meaningful development and a terrible and clumsy attempt to integrate midi. you should maybe visit the sony support forums, and see how far back the wailing and gnashing of teeth goes waiting... waiting.. etc. for an update that never came. this abandonment was genuinely a 'horrible' thing because acid was my main daw ( i used to do all my midi in cubase) for a number of years... so, in my opinion, taking it away from sony can only be a good move.

i just hope sound forge is developed more for mac. sony should be ashamed of their mac releases. hopefully MAGIX will continue it's development, but they do tend to favour the windows side as well.

MAGIX can't be any worse than Sony in my opinion. fingers crossed.

Who cares mac. No legit desktop except freaking spec of Mac Pro. Sneaky system change through OS update. Nothing has been changed. Sony's decision was right from this point.

nathanj wrote:sony should be ashamed of their mac releases. hopefully MAGIX will continue it's development, but they do tend to favour the windows side as well.

MAGIX can't be any worse than Sony in my opinion. fingers crossed.
indeed. the reason for acid pro dying on it's arse is that sony really don't give a flying f**k about their 'user' base. the only thing that is still good (even though it gets more and more bloated with each passing version) is vegas pro. so much so that a friend of mine still uses it for making his own music.. sony's hardware is somewhat dependable but their attitude toward software is invariably lackadaisical at best. i remember owning a mini disc which, it turned out, could only use sony software to access it to download to a computer, a fact which i did not realise until it came time to tranfer a load of field recordings i had made. despite the fact that there were a huge amount of people who were crying out to have that option ( on the sony forums) what did sony do? ignored them. whatever is earning them revenue is not software. the worries about magix is totally unfounded and i don't understand it frankly. anyone who has tried Samplitude will find it is a class program. for me it's reliable, it loads super fast, has amazing bespoke plug-ins, is fully customizable etc etc. i have every cause for optimism that they will make something out of programs that sony gave up on years ago...

Anything that Magix does can only be better than what Sony has done, which is nothing. Acid was my first sequencer many years ago. I stopped using it except on very rare occasion, because I mostly have 64 bit plugins. I miss the paint in the clips feature from Acid.

I liked being able to noodge the samples around in time within the clips. It was the most the most artful thing about Acid to me.

I moved from Sound Forge to Wavelab years ago and have toyed with the idea of going back to SF, but it hadn't seemed as though Sony was bothering to keep it updated. I'll keep an eye on what Magix does with it and, hopefully, they'll give some new features and a facelift, at which point I might be enticed. However,...
nathanj wrote:i just hope sound forge is developed more for mac. sony should be ashamed of their mac releases. hopefully MAGIX will continue it's development, but they do tend to favour the windows side as well.
That said, the one sticking point for me is that, as a PC and Mac user, I would really like to see Magix release a single dual-platform version of SF, rather than two separate versions that have to be purchased individually. Given Magix' PC-bias, I won't be surprised if they drop the Mac version altogether and, if so, or they maintain separate apps/separate costs, that will be a deal breaker for me.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

khanyz wrote:Magix have bought 2 companies that I had software from, Sek'd (Samplitude) and Yellow Tools (Independence). Both times the transition was smooth and support good.
Sorry, but you got that a bit wrong - Samplitude was Magix' first software product, developed by Titus Jost and Tilman Herberger - both are still at Magix (in high positions) and own a major part of the company.
Right from the start the Magix founder and CEO Jürgen Jaron had the idea to have a stripped down consumer version of Samplitude - Music Maker. And for some time they then marketed the consumer line and the pro line via two different companies (Magix and Sek'D) but at some point they stopped that and that was the end of Sek'd.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

I think Magix can do a better job than Sony with these. Vegas is by far my favorite video editor out of all I've tried (including Final Cut Pro, Premiere, Lightworks, and Magix' own Video Pro).

Strange that Sony let Acid wither on the vine like it did - pick up a Computer Music mag from the '00s and so many pros were using it.

Howcome they didn't disclose the price?

Wonder what it means for Sound Forge and Spectral Layers.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

tooneba wrote:
siriusbliss wrote:Weirdest company in the industry = Magix
You know, they are German. :hihi:
This extremely intelligent remark sounds like one-dimensional thinking to me. Once KVR starts to get nationalistic, it might be high time to inform the Mod...

Even as a German I think you are exaggerating much. Especially as it seems that the guy was joking anyway.

jens wrote:
khanyz wrote:Magix have bought 2 companies that I had software from, Sek'd (Samplitude) and Yellow Tools (Independence). Both times the transition was smooth and support good.
Sorry, but you got that a bit wrong - Samplitude was Magix' first software product, developed by Titus Jost and Tilman Herberger - both are still at Magix (in high positions) and own a major part of the company.
Right from the start the Magix founder and CEO Jürgen Jaron had the idea to have a stripped down consumer version of Samplitude - Music Maker. And for some time they then marketed the consumer line and the pro line via two different companies (Magix and Sek'D) but at some point they stopped that and that was the end of Sek'd.
Then who were Hohner Midia and who wrote the Amiga version of Samplitude?

My first version was Sek'd Samplitude 2496 but I was introduced to it by an engineer.
I miss MindPrint. My TRIO needs a big brother.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”