NewSonicArts - Freestyle ...

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Freestyle

yellukhan wrote:Hi,
is there is any plan to this:
optionally "store parameters only" for the Snapshots?

i mean,
exclude open-close & positioning of the plugin guis and store only tweaked parameters.
probably this is different than the current Live Usage aiming
but IMHO.
it would useful to have semi - Metasurface functionality in our daw's comfort...
maybe "XY" pad to morph snapshots smoothly in the later updates :roll:

Warm Regards,
Yıldırım.
Thats a great idea, would definitely like to see that myself one day too. Indeed it's a different use-case to the live situation where its more about total recall of the plugins and routing. But this option would be cool, more for the creative / sound-design / DAW use-case.
James Walker-Hall
www.newsonicarts.com

Thanks!
i will push one step more! :D
when this become real:
if we have also internal/Native Midi Knobs & Sliders with midi CC number (maybe Channel too) selectors...
we can build a Controller Panel to link any of the daw parameters to modulate/store/recall/morph easily !
:pray:

ErikH wrote:1/I can only open some VST ... but not Chromaphone, Iris, Falcon etc.
For anyone who has experienced this issue...

We have fixed the issue with Chromaphone etc. The fix is in version 0.9513. You can get this now from the demo link http://www.newsonicarts.com/freestyle or from the User Area if you have an account.

Unfortunately, you will need to re-scan your plugin folder for the fix to take effect. To do this right click on the plugin manager and choose 'Select VST Folder'. Then just confirm the dialog to start a rescan. (Not the Refresh option, that wont work in this case, as that only re-scans failed plugins).
James Walker-Hall
www.newsonicarts.com

newsonicarts wrote:
yellukhan wrote:Hi,
is there is any plan to this:
optionally "store parameters only" for the Snapshots?

i mean,
exclude open-close & positioning of the plugin guis and store only tweaked parameters.
probably this is different than the current Live Usage aiming
but IMHO.
it would useful to have semi - Metasurface functionality in our daw's comfort...
maybe "XY" pad to morph snapshots smoothly in the later updates :roll:

Warm Regards,
Yıldırım.
Thats a great idea, would definitely like to see that myself one day too. Indeed it's a different use-case to the live situation where its more about total recall of the plugins and routing. But this option would be cool, more for the creative / sound-design / DAW use-case.
Morphing would be nice but I think maybe it would need to be separate from the snapshots system because you can use snapshots to switch between completely different plugin sets and morphing would only make sense if it was between patches created with the same set of plugins or a single plugin (and even then, there would need to be limits on which types of params were available for morphing - eg it also wouldn't make sense to be able to morph between 2 different Reaktor ensembles or Zebra patches for example, or between 2 different sample based instruments. Params with binary states can also be problematic as there is no in-between state). So I would see morphing as something that went on between variations on a particular snapshot, rather than between snapshots. That's how it works in NI Kore 2 but it only works at all because NI gave its implementation a lot of thought.

aMUSEd wrote:So I would see morphing as something that went on between variations on a particular snapshot, rather than between snapshots.
Exactly, that's how the 'parameter snapshots' would be done. There would likely be a new tab in the snapshot list. IF they became a reality... (again, they are not currently planned or in development, but definitely something for the wish list).
James Walker-Hall
www.newsonicarts.com

I can confirm that in version 0.9513 all my vst instruments and effects load without any problems.
Windows 7, Cubase 9.5 and some extra plug-ins | Takamine EN-10C and PRS Mira

newsonicarts wrote:
Timfonie wrote: I wished OpenGL would not only be used for graphics acceleration but also for audio processing for plugins (GPGPU).
Yes, this idea got a lot of people in the industry excited a few years ago. But on investigation, it seems that the problem is it would add significant latency, way too large for real-time audio (where you want <10ms latency), as the transfer between CPU and GPU is far from synchronous. I think this is why it has never really been done yet... maybe some one else will prove me wrong, but it is certainly not on our radar to try further.
Thanks for clarifying why the previous excitement and experiments didn't turn into actual commercial implementations.
The more I hang around at KVR the less music I make.

Wow, the web page for Freestyle has a picture of a Kilpatrick format modular synth. Do I get a Scooby snack for recognizing it? :D
------------------------------------------
Gribs

Accidental double-post. My apologies.
------------------------------------------
Gribs

Thought you guys might like to see this... a first look at Freestyle's Structure View... :hyper: :lol:

Will be included in an upcoming public-beta, hopefully a couple weeks or so from now!

http://www.newsonicarts.com/freestyle
James Walker-Hall
www.newsonicarts.com

I've just discovered this and I'm enjoying the demo. I've been looking for something like this for ages as my main host Samplitude Pro X2 doesn't support stacked VSTi's. A couple of things. I've noticed that the size of the GUI in the VSTi version differs from host to host. In Studio One it's much larger than in Cubase or Samplitude. Even if you choose "Extra Large" from the options menu it's still considerably smaller in Cubase and Sequoia/Samplitude. Also text input for searching is not working in Samplitude.

Here's screen-shots with the Extra Large setting comparison.

Samplitude Pro X2

Cubase 8.5

Studio One
Asus Z97-A| i7 4770K|32GB DDR3|Samsung 850 Pro 512 SSD System|Crucial 960gb SSD A/V|Crucial 960 SSD Samples|GTX 960 2GB|RME Raydat|Windows 10 x64, Philips 40" 4K
My Samplitude/Sequoia Tutorials are here :
http://www.youtube.com/kraznet

1) Is there any way to bypass a plugin?
(Or is this supposed to be done via saving a new snapshot and deleting the plugin?
If so, really not optimal...)

2) Is there a way to load native plugin presets? I can't find any way to do theese things
while demoing Freestyle. (Keep in mind that quite some plugins, all Audio Damage products
for example, don't have a build in Presetbrowser in their GUI...)

Also browsing presets quickly without the need to open the GUI in a Host between the DAW and the plugin is a way smoother workflow.

So while it's looking nice and pretty, I'd rather like to see theese basic features than
all the bells n whistles. Especially with Freestyle being one of the most expensive of all
VST Hosts...

Best,
tL.
Professional.

LYTZ wrote:1) Is there any way to bypass a plugin?
(Or is this supposed to be done via saving a new snapshot and deleting the plugin?
If so, really not optimal...)
A new FX Bypass option is in the current beta version. This will be publically available soon (within a few days I expect), keep an eye on our Facebook page for an announcement.
LYTZ wrote: 2) Is there a way to load native plugin presets? I can't find any way to do theese things
while demoing Freestyle. (Keep in mind that quite some plugins, all Audio Damage products
for example, don't have a build in Presetbrowser in their GUI...)
We actually had such a feature in a pre- 1.0 version, but dropped it as it seemed most plugins either didn't support it, or were publishing a list of 128 empty entries. But I personally did not know about the Audio Damage situation, so will look into this again, I would guess something like context-menu access would be pretty easy to implement...
James Walker-Hall
www.newsonicarts.com

Both FX Bypass and VST preset selection are included in version 1.0904, which is out now.

We would like to improve the VST preset selection usabilty in a future update, for now it's just on the context menu. But at least you can now access those AudioDamage presets...

Regarding the price which was also mentioned above, we now offer crossgrade paths for existing New Sonic Arts users. For example if you own Granite, Nuance and Vice already you can get Freestyle for 59 EUR (special price until Nov 15th when it will go up to 79 EUR).

The best deal for new customers is the new Freestyle Suite bundle (Freestyle, Granite, Nuance and Vice) for 229 EUR. You can buy that by going to the checkout page for any product and clicking on the red 'Deals' button.
James Walker-Hall
www.newsonicarts.com

Awesome update James!

Re 'But at least you can now access those AudioDamage presets...'

the problem is this depends....you can now access any presets that are 'loaded' into the plugin already (if it is a plugin that has a default set of presets pre-loaded and exposed to the host) but not all plugins that rely on the host have such a built-in list (not just Audio damage btw, there is also Softtube and many older plugins such as the Waldorf edition plugins and on Windows anything made with Synthedit) and they all also need the host to be able to load and save presets and banks (ie fxp and fxb) as they lack that functionality as well. Otherwise all you can do in Freestyle is access whatever is there already, if anything.. but not anything beyond the fixed factory preset list or load/save new ones or presets created previously (which would be a huge problem for something like Softtube Modular for example).

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”