The I promise I will not buy more gear-thread

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

foosnark wrote:Today is Buy A Musical Instrument Day in the US. :troll:
I thought today was happy 491st "deflate gate" day :shrug:

I bought an Olegtron* 4060, and am already thinking about an NS1 Experiment Kit (or equivalent parts sourced elsewhere) to go along with it. At least conceptually, it's putting electronics more directly into electronic music :D

I can make the promise that I will NOT buy anything until Sept 1st*, but sell? Oh you betcha!

(that's even likely to apply to reason 9 upgrade, I'm tired already just going on a mini-gaseous experience lately)

When you are married, have kids and your wife wants to take over her family's holiday house on a tight budget, there is no hope for GAS.

Fortunately, I managed to get my hands on the minilogue just before the deal was done, so now I have the best synths within the categories I need, and I know of no other modern or elder synths that could replace them.

First I need the best groovebox sequencer possible, and Roland MC909 is still King (imo). Big screen for editing, 1,4 million midi event memory, 16 track sequencer with all basics and micro-editing, onboard sampler and not a least a deep synth engine for a rompler.

Secondly I need a VA. I have not been tempted to replace my JP8000 for 20 years now. Whenever I test a new VA in a shop, I always want it to sound like my precious, so that makes a switch pretty pointless. The classic lay out with just about every parameter on the front is unbeatable too.

Thirdly. An affordable (below 700 €) analog synth that covers most classic sounds. Needles to say, Minilogue sets new standards in this respect besides from offering new types of analog sounds.

Finally, a vocoder synth that sometimes serves as vocoder, other times as synth. I replaced my minikorg with the JD-Xi in 2015. With 3 synths (1 analog), a drumtrack and vocoder function, neither the microkorgs, Korg RS3, Akai Miniak nor Mininova come anywhere near this package. Last time a vocoder synth had such groove features was in 1998 when Quasimidi Sirius hit the shelves.

So, I almost believe that I can walk the line this time and be clean for years. Thus I PROMISE NOT TO BUY MORE GEAR! PROMISE, PROMISE, PROMISE.

I really need you to believe in me this time; if I fail I will be broke, likely divorced and homeless shortly after.

Hi everyone, my name is Ed, and I have an addiction, it's called GAS...

As a newbie, I broke the cardinal rule, I've purchased way too many plugs and too much hardware. I am so overwhelmed, yet at the same time I feel so good about having all these cool audio tools.

Is there anyway to remove the Marketplace topic from my forum display? Like some type of parental control? If not, I'm screwed.
Gaslighting...is a form of mental abuse in which information is twisted or spun, selectively omitted to favor the abuser, or false information is presented with the intent of making victims doubt their own memory, perception, and sanity.

Stuff that keeps me away from the computer makes me want less new stuff. Hate to say it but for me that means using hardware to make music,or just not firing up the DAW and making music with alternative means.

It's possible to have GAS for HW, too. ;)

Me? Will it make a difference if I promise not to buy any more gear? Won't I just come up with an excuse to buy this or that or the other thing? :shrug:

There's no hope for me! :cry: :help:
Blue Phase Music

I only laugh out of love......and experience :scared:

I got into trouble for buying mjuc used. Other than that, it's been ON TARGET! I haven't even upgraded to reason 9 :o

I really want a new guitar SUPER BAD but I'm not doing it, not now anyways. Of course it doesn't help when my "petty cash" account is always in ruins :cry:

:hug:

My "petty cash" is more like "pathetic cash", as in, I have none. Doesn't mean I don't spend it, anyway. :wheee: :oops:

I'd love a guitar and fretted bass to go with my fretless. :) :help:
Blue Phase Music

incubus wrote:I got into trouble for buying mjuc used.
Oh FFS - I apologized!

Speaking of being low on funds.

I wanted to save a couple of bucks with building a DIY Guitar Loadbox (resistive load) to expand my in-house services while having a low-noise recording environment. I designed it, I started to hunt down parts. Though for what I was planning, it was a bit pricey. Then a friend of mine was like "why not buy a pre-built one that will even do more than what you already have?!". In the end, I invested just about as much for the "off-the-shelf" reactive one that is now claiming a spot on one of my studio racks/cupboards. And my "research time" wasn't wasted either as I brushed up my electronics knowledge and did learn some new guitar stuff in the process as well.

I might mod the device at some point... a bigger case, active cooling, same resistors but higher watt rating. However, only if I run into real trouble with this thing, or if it's turning too hot. :shrug:

I also wanted to jump on the OTS group buy deal with the bass samples. But I ran out of funds...

I still have two DIY Mic Shields in the KVR 2nd Hand Market Place, which was planned to back this device... but I think I'll just throw them out now and repurpose the materials for something else. Since I built large wooden gobo's, they only waste space.

Still, there is always room for more gear. And the (sadly) often mandatory maintenance upgrades.
Having the funds is a totally different topic however.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

n/m

I have the best synths within the categories I need, and I know of no other modern or elder synths that could replace them.
That's my approach. I don't buy things I expect to be upgraded or insufficient. So once I buy something, I own it and it works.

That's why I ordered Advance 49 today :P Initially I just wanted compact keyboard, but ended up with most high-tech controller in the market :shrug:
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

I promise I will not buy more hardware until I get my office/studio room rearranged. (And before that happens, I need to get over this cold... :P)

The plan is to change my DIY standing desk to an L-shaped corner desk supported by shelves/cabinets, to increase available work surface and storage space. Most of the rest of the room has to be rearranged, bookshelves replaced/upgraded, decent chair bought, and chains of power strips replaced with a couple of proper workbench power strips. Possibly I'll build some new desktop stands for my monitors as well.

I've gotten a couple of things since the last post. Actually one guitar I haven't mentioned and a couple of smaller things.
Last edited by incubus on Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

I've been building a lot of DIY stuff lately... rather than building one thing for myself, I've been building two or more. I then sell the "extra" for more than the cost of the parts. Essentially paying for the one that I keep. :tu:
Of course this only works out because I don't value my own time and effort but hey... it keeps the GAS at bay and my bank balance stays put. :lol:

Also, instead of instruments, I'm now GASing for table saws, drill presses and CNC machines. :dog:

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”