Tone2 will release Icarus - 3D WaveTable Synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Elevation for Icarus Icarus3

EnGee wrote:Ok, I take it as the demos don't reflect the real ability of Icarus depending on Beta Testers opinions.

In the hardware there are two main Wavetables companies right? Waldorf and Access. Both have produced great synths, but they are different in character. Right?
And Wolfgang Palm at PPG who invented wavetable synths is still doing great synths while he moved completely to software and also iOS.

Anyway while Icarus is very versatile and do love it it is no replacement for the Waldorf synths (both software and hardware) and also some others.
Waldorf synths like e.g. Largo, Nave and PPG Wave 3.V got a different feature set and a different basic sound so no other synth could really replace them, at least for myself...
Of course i am also known to be a big Waldof "fanboi" (which i admit...) and i had alraedy done a lot of work for them (both testing and sound design and recently als at the NKS updates). Doing stuff for them is mostly #1 priority for me while Tone2 synths are very important for me too. Another favorite company is Xils Lab for which i already did some testing too and got all of their synths.

Anyway since i got Icarus, the Waldorf synths (+ including a Blofeld hardware synth), the PPG plugins and also others like e.g. DUNE 2, UVI Falcon and Synthmaster i do not really feel the need to get both Serum and Spire which after testing the demos multiple time are not my cup of tea anyway. Als sold Codex last year while it was not bad but basedon what i already got i do not feel i really need it.
Like Serum Icarus also has a full featured wavetable editor and waveform editor so i also do not really need it for building wavetables. Waveatbles built with Icarus are also compatible with e.g. UVI Falcon. Besides that i also got Audio Term.

If i would start new with wavetable synth i guess that Icarus would be one of my first choices besides the Waldorf synths (where i love all of them).
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Ingonator wrote:
EnGee wrote:Ok, I take it as the demos don't reflect the real ability of Icarus depending on Beta Testers opinions.

In the hardware there are two main Wavetables companies right? Waldorf and Access. Both have produced great synths, but they are different in character. Right?
And Wolfgang Palm at PPG who invented wavetable synths is still doing great synths while he moved completely to software and also iOS.

Anyway while Icarus is very versatile and do love it it is no replacement for the Waldorf synths (both software and hardware) and also some others.
Waldorf synths like e.g. Largo, Nave and PPG Wave 3.V got a different feature set and a different basic sound so no other synth could really replace them, at least for myself...
Of course i am also known to be a big Waldof "fanboi" (which i admit...) and i had alraedy done a lot of work for them (both testing and sound design and recently als at the NKS updates). Doing stuff for them is mostly #1 priority for me while Tone2 synths are very important for me too. Another favorite company is Xils Lab for which i already did some testing too and got all of their synths.

Anyway since i got Icarus, the Waldorf synths (+ including a Blofeld hardware synth), the PPG plugins and also others like e.g. DUNE 2, UVI Falcon and Synthmaster i do not really feel the need to get both Serum and Spire which after testing the demos multiple time are not my cup of tea anyway. Als sold Codex last year while it was not bad but basedon what i already got i do not feel i really need it.
Like Serum Icarus also has a full featured wavetable editor and waveform editor so i also do not really need it for building wavetables. Waveatbles built with Icarus are also compatible with e.g. UVI Falcon. Besides that i also got Audio Term.

If i would start new with wavetable synth i guess that Icarus would be one of my first choices besides the Waldorf synths (where i love all of them).
Thanks. This is a good explanation about your opinion.

Listening to the demos again and again from Icarus and other synths, I would choose demo number 2 (Chillout Downtempo ..etc) as the main difference from other synths. Mainly, the pluck and bass sounds which are pleasant to hear and unique to Icarus (or maybe Tone2 synths). Except of that (IMO of course), I prefer the other synths (listed in a previous post) in everything else especially Largo, Massive, Dune 2, Codex and SynthMaster 2.8 as well.

EnGee wrote: Except of that (IMO of course), I prefer the other synths (listed in a previous post) in everything else especially Largo, Massive, Dune 2, Codex and SynthMaster 2.8 as well.
Somehow i always forget Massive when i mention the wavetable synths i own but of course i got that one too since ages (maybe even since it was released...). :)
Ingo Weidner
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Ingonator wrote: Somehow i always forget Massive when i mention the wavetable synths i own
Me too. :lol: Largo is just so good that i don't even touch Massive...

jk-cream2 wrote:' a synth is an infinite source of different sounds'
I think that is called 'hype'.
I said "a" synth, not "this" synth. Any synth. That's the difference between, say, an oboe and a synth (in terms of sound), right? ;-) And that's the reason one can't possibly judge a synth by the sounds made by others.

Many thanks for all the actual info that's been and is being posted here about Icarus. AFAIC, this thread is a source for news and info about a synth I'm very intrigued to learn about and don't at all mind having my appetite whetted and my curiosity at least partially satisfied concerning, so I can adjust my expectations at least as I wait. I pretty much try every demo version of anything even remotely interesting, but there's a ton of new stuff these days, and all this info supports my initial impression that this one should be at the top of my own check-out-immediately list. Very useful, thanks again!

Oh, and all the endless selfie-posts about how important and impressive all your opinions and sensibilities are? So cool, too—thanks so much:) I'm sure mine will fit right in…
Last edited by David on Tue May 24, 2016 8:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

David wrote: Oh, and all the endless selfie-posts about how important and impressive all your opinions and sensibilities are? So cool, too—thanks so much:) I'm sure mine will fit right in…
POTD :wink: :lol:

Actually, I do my best to read them all, and the gems do occasionally fall out, so my thanks are somewhat real:) But mostly it feels like wading hip deep through a vat filled with angry snapping wriggling fish packed tight—sheesh!

Ingonator wrote:
EnGee wrote: Except of that (IMO of course), I prefer the other synths (listed in a previous post) in everything else especially Largo, Massive, Dune 2, Codex and SynthMaster 2.8 as well.
Somehow i always forget Massive when i mention the wavetable synths i own but of course i got that one too since ages (maybe even since it was released...). :)
Massive is great! I remember when first released I hated it :hihi: But with time I begin to like how aggressive it can sound. It has very different sound from Largo and the two can't replace each other IMO. Those are my top 2 wavetable synths with Dune 2 comes third.

Who knows, I might love the sound of Icarus later! It is still new and different from the other synths. I thought it is very similar to Dune 2, but it is like this on the surface! When analyzing the sound carefully (the audio demos), I found they are not similar or that near that I thought.

I like such discussions, because they make me (and maybe others) think about the best approach to take for this or that synth. So, let's wait and see how Icarus can fit with the others when they release the demo.

will there be a intro price, or special offer for customers who have all other synths ?

Does anyone know what kind of copy protection this synth will use? There are a couple I've had bad experiences with and won't touch any product that uses them.

AnalogGuy1 wrote:Does anyone know what kind of copy protection this synth will use? There are a couple I've had bad experiences with and won't touch any product that uses them.
The protection is a key file that you copy to the location of the DLL file of the plugin. No internet connection needed to use the plugin and the protection after you received the key file by e-mail. The key file should also work after re-installing the computer etc.
More or less it's likea simple serial protection but included in a file.
Ingo Weidner

Ingonator wrote:
AnalogGuy1 wrote:Does anyone know what kind of copy protection this synth will use? There are a couple I've had bad experiences with and won't touch any product that uses them.
The protection is a key file that you copy to the location of the DLL file of the plugin. No internet connection needed to use the plugin and the protection after you received the key file by e-mail. The key file should also work after re-installing the computer etc.
Thanks for the fast reply! Are you saying when I eventually change my laptop I can just copy the keyfile into the DLL location after installing the new program? That would be fantastic! So much of my time spent setting up a new machine is individually re-authorizing each program installed on it.

AnalogGuy1 wrote:
Ingonator wrote:
Thanks for the fast reply! Are you saying when I eventually change my laptop I can just copy the keyfile into the DLL location after installing the new program? That would be fantastic! So much of my time spent setting up a new machine is individually re-authorizing each program installed on it.
Yep. Very easy :tu:

Ingonator wrote:
I always wonder how they're supposed to check whether someone is still running his license, when the license has been transfered, without a mandatory internet connection, or "phoning home". I figure they don't do at all, and you're supposed to uninstall the plugin.

Return to “Instruments”