Modal Harmony vid series

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

fmr wrote:
MadBrain wrote:To fmr:

What do you call a song in the key of E, where the notes used are E F G A B C D (F# does not appear), is NOT in the key of A (E is clearly the tonic of the song), and uses otherwise normal chords and normal harmony and normal voice leading techniques? How do you suggest we call this? Please give us a term.

I'm tired of the pointless semantics discussions every time someone talks about this so please give us a word for this that will not make you go into a fit?
Your question is so simplistic that's only excusable to someone who knows nothing about music, and is now learning the first things about tonality.
:roll:
If it's in the key of E and uses the E chords, then it's E minor. The fact that F# doesn't appear means nothing. If F natural appears, it means nothing again. You could even not have neither. If the relevant chords are there, then you have E minor. If you use the normal chords, as you say, then you most probably have a chord with B and D#, and maybe F natural. That chord belongs to E minor.
That's actually a totally sensible analysis, and in line with how pop musicians use what they call "modes". What gets called "E phrygian" is really just E minor with F in the melody on Emin chords, and borrowed chords selected to use F and avoid F#.
Problem is that people, strangely, are convinced that, by the fact a certain tonality has certain common notes, it cannot have other notes. Man, it MAY HAVE other notes. since the eighteenth century, with Bach, for example, that the tonality has many "foreign notes" appearing. It may have them and still be on a certain tonality because IT'S THE HARMONY THAT DICTATES THE TONALITY.

If you were used to read and play pieces a little more complex than what it seems you are, you would notice that foreign notes are very very common in tonal pieces. Yet people never tried to find strange names for the pieces, they explain the foreign notes in the context of the harmony progression, as passing notes, notes relevant to the base tonality or to some momentary modulation to other tonality, or simply melodic embelishment.
:roll:
So, again, this is not physics. This is much simpler. It's E minor, nothing else.
Okay.
Putting in other terms. What would you call a song that has E, F, F#, G, A, B, C, C#, D, D#? The chords used are clearly normal chords, belonging to normal harmony. The tonic of thew song is clearly E. Would you call it some strange name, based on some exotic scale you happened to know that has more or less the same notes, or simply E minor?

This is not semantics, this is Music 101.
No, I think it is semantics because calling this sort of thing "modes" is accepted terminology in pop music, even though it totally conflicts with Gregorian modes and other pre-"tonal" stuff.

So I propose a translation grid, from "common lazy pop musician terms" to "actually accurate but somewhat wordy formulation":

pop: "lydian scale/mode"
accurate: major (with lots of #4 accidentals)

pop: "mixolydian scale/mode"
accurate: major (with lots of b7 accidentals)

pop: "dorian scale/mode"
accurate: minor (with lots of #6 accidentals)

pop: "phrygian scale/mode"
accurate: minor (with lots of b2 accidentals)

pop: "locrian scale/mode"
accurate: "that weird synthetic scale that I like to play over m7b5 chords"

This way, the next time a guitarist will pop up and say "my song is in G dorian", you will use this grid to translate that incorrect pop terminology into the factually correct "my song is in G minor and it uses a lot of natural E notes and not that many Eb notes in melody and chords", and spare us another thread derailment of this kind. Ok?

fmr wrote: Your question is so simplistic that's only excusable to someone who knows nothing about music, and is now learning the first things about tonality. If it's in the key of E and uses the E chords, then it's E minor.
You are wrong and that is the reason why you can't cite any sources or provide a single musical example.

I can give you an example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8TeeYZVe6Q
This piece uses only seven notes (before the key change): A B C D E F G.
It is however not in C major or A minor, because the tonic is clearly F, which means it is in the lydian mode.
Calling it "F major" just because it ends on an F major chord, would be wrong.
MadBrain wrote: pop: "lydian scale/mode"
This is not accurate at all.
If a piece is in the lydian mode, the correct lydian key signature should be used, so that there are no #4 accidentals.
The example above is in F lydian, so there should be no sharps or flats in the key signature.

MadBrain wrote: This way, the next time a guitarist will pop up and say "my song is in G dorian", you will use this grid to translate that incorrect pop terminology into the factually correct "my song is in G minor and it uses a lot of natural E notes and not that many Eb notes in melody and chords", and spare us another thread derailment of this kind. Ok?
OK, and next time you want to discuss tonal harmony in Major or minor with some substitute notes, don't call it modal harmony, but harmony with substitute notes. It's accurate, and avoids that nonsensical term that is something like calling submarine to a sunked boat.

IMO, It would be much simpler to just realize that you are actually using the same boring Major/minor with just some substitute note (although, it would not appear so sexy and clever) :hihi: But hey, what do I know? I am just a poor guy that don't play pop. :roll:

I didn't even got what's so special in this subject, anyway. It's the same harmony, the same chords, you just have to use the substitute notes (or not). What's the big deal? Geesh. If you were using 9 or 10 note modes, you would go nuts.
Fernando (FMR)

jof wrote:
fmr wrote: Your question is so simplistic that's only excusable to someone who knows nothing about music, and is now learning the first things about tonality. If it's in the key of E and uses the E chords, then it's E minor.
You are wrong and that is the reason why you can't cite any sources or provide a single musical example.

I can give you an example:
Beethoven String Quartet No.15, Op.132 - Third movement
This piece uses only seven notes (before the key change): A B C D E F G.
It is however not in C major or A minor, because the tonic is clearly F, which means it is in the lydian mode.
Calling it "F major" just because it ends on an F major chord, would be wrong. The example above is in F lydian, so there should be no sharps or flats in the key signature.
So, do you find your usual pop harmony in this piece? Do you find the F Major chords firmly established here (the dichotomy and fundamental harmonic relationship V-I)? Did you actually analyze it, or even read it? You are so unfortunate (naive) that you picked exactly a piece where clearly the horizontal dimension (the melodies and the counterpoint) are much more important (actually, the only important element) than the vertical dimension, which results only of the overlapped melodies of the four instruments. Yes, this movement is modal, it's in the mode of F (that's why it ends with the F chord, like the renaissance motets did), but it was written in modal counterpoint by a master that knew what modes are, how to use them and preserve them. Harmony is not prevalent here - melody is. This part is pure modal counterpoint, as I said, using the ancient techniques coming from the renaissance motets (including imitation). Here, don't take my words: "The lydian mode evokes the otherworldly sacred church modes of the Renaissance, and the hymn, the ancient song of praise to the deity. The music combines three instantly recognizable elements: a wisp of counterpoint, an austere hymn in four-part unison harmony, and a lightening strike of glittering virtuosity labeled in the score as 'a feeling of new strength'..."

And here you can even follow the score: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI4xhQVwzSg

This is actually a good example of how different modal music is from what you are used to. This is the result of someone that uses modes conscious of what they are. He used the modal writing to achieve a goal, an objective that only the mode would give him - evokes the otherworldly sacred church music of the Renaissance". And he wrote this in the ending years of his life, when his technique and knowledge have matured. If he had use the strong harmonic language characteristic of his early pieces, he would not have achieved that. Besides, he followed this piece with another opus that is fugue, also written for string quartet (Grosse Fugue op 133), a form that was also already abandoned by the composers, and is the culmination of the counterpoint technique.
Last edited by fmr on Fri May 06, 2016 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:
MadBrain wrote: This way, the next time a guitarist will pop up and say "my song is in G dorian", you will use this grid to translate that incorrect pop terminology into the factually correct "my song is in G minor and it uses a lot of natural E notes and not that many Eb notes in melody and chords", and spare us another thread derailment of this kind. Ok?
OK, and next time you want to discuss tonal harmony in Major or minor with some substitute notes, don't call it modal harmony, but harmony with substitute notes. It's accurate, and avoids that nonsensical term that is something like calling submarine to a sunked boat.
Hey, I'm not the guy who had the idea of stealing ancient music terms and applying them to completely different music. :D
fmr wrote: IMO, It would be much simpler to just realize that you are actually using the same boring Major/minor with just some substitute note (although, it would not appear so sexy and clever) :hihi: But hey, what do I know? I am just a poor guy that don't play pop. :roll:

I didn't even got what's so special in this subject, anyway. It's the same harmony, the same chords, you just have to use the substitute notes (or not). What's the big deal? Geesh. If you were using 9 or 10 note modes, you would go nuts.
I guess that due to the use of stuff like the blues progression, which is a weird mix of major and minor, you end up in a situation where the substitute notes are more common than the normal ones, so it's nice to have a specific term for this. But unfortunately, people called this "mixolydian" instead of "major b7" and it stuck.

Incidentally, that Beethoven string quartet is the perfect example of the difference between medieval/renaissance "F lydian", and what jazz/pop musicians call "F lydian". If you asked the metal guitarist next door which tonality this song was in (and somehow got him to read the score), he would've told you "C major" (with an F major chord tacked on at the very end). Which tells you how different the two conceptions of modes are.

Just wanna say you can't compare the complexity of the Baroque with the rigid use of seventh chords :D

"The harmonic dimension of the later Baroque became fused with a reinvigorated (edit: modal) counterpoint that achieved its zenith in the works of Bach. The contrapuntal art of the late Baroque is marked by a melodic vitality that has never been surpassed; at the same time, this counterpoint is wrought upon a harmonic background that is itself organized by smooth linear means.
Thus, in the counterpoint of the Baroque, two kinds of contrapuntal organization can be perceived: the successive note-to-note counterpoint of the individual melodies relating immediately to each other, and the at-a-distance counterpoint of the harmonic changes (edit: see also Schenkerian Analysis)."

The Harvard Dictionary of Music

it's all just tones. musicians hear tones. there is no mode. there is no harmony. there are just...tones

music theorists hear the constant chatter of someone arguing with them about theories

music theory is just a theory. like the big bang. boom.
Sincerely,
Zethus, twin son of Zeus

wow FMR, thanks a lot for turning me on to Messiaen. That book is AMAZING!!

Agrees with Mad Brain,

Quietly ducks out before Jan sniffs my presence.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

MadBrain wrote: So I propose a translation grid, from "common lazy pop musician terms" to "actually accurate but somewhat wordy formulation":

pop: "lydian scale/mode"

pop: "mixolydian scale/mode"
accurate: major (with lots of b7 accidentals)

pop: "dorian scale/mode"
accurate: minor (with lots of #6 accidentals)

pop: "phrygian scale/mode"
accurate: minor (with lots of b2 accidentals)

pop: "locrian scale/mode"
accurate: "that weird synthetic scale that I like to play over m7b5 chords"

This way, the next time a guitarist will pop up and say "my song is in G dorian", you will use this grid to translate that incorrect pop terminology into the factually correct "my song is in G minor and it uses a lot of natural E notes and not that many Eb notes in melody and chords", and spare us another thread derailment of this kind. Ok?
This post happened. Alright, end of story, historical and popular usage reconciled. So why are we still arguing?

Because we will always have those whom cling to their beliefs.

As for the HM guy analyzing a song in the F lydian mode and saying it's in C. Someone doesn't know the HM world as well as they should.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6b-T_tNwtc

Note he isn't covering the C Major scale. He identifies the scale/key/mode as the E phrygian
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

tapper mike wrote:Because we will always have those whom cling to their beliefs.

As for the HM guy analyzing a song in the F lydian mode and saying it's in C. Someone doesn't know the HM world as well as they should.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6b-T_tNwtc

Note he isn't covering the C Major scale. He identifies the scale/key/mode as the E phrygian
First of all, here is his description of the "phrygian scale in the key of E" (just this phrasing is already giving me an headache - it's like saying the scale of C Major in C): 1, Flat 2, Flat 3, 4, 5, Flat 6, Flat 7, 8. What the hell is this? What is he talking about? Flat 2 of what? Flat 3 of what? :borg: And then he plays the whole mode as a scale (WRONG WAY), and what do I hear? C Major, of course.

If this is the best you got to show someone who understands modes, what I have to say is that its pathetic. And the assertion: "If you play a power chord progression, it fits seamlessly in whatever "scale" you are soloing..." :hihi:

Given that power scales are empty fifths, I classify this as the discover of the century :lol: I can't even understand how people do videos to "explain" stuff like this :o :dog:

If this is music theory, it was learned in some alien planet.

Here is an example of what is the mode of E (your "phrygian"). It's the hymn Pange Lingua, a beautiful melody from the Gregorian Chant. Two of the version are transposed, but the mode is the mode of E. This is your "dark" mode:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnrOwiYqTcc
and here's a "new age" version :hihi: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3H5f7oePQE
with instrumental (but not "new age"): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RH1qa4QjFM
Fernando (FMR)

Hehe this metal guy.. boy oh boy :ud:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Lrj5Nfw12IA

I hate to say this, as I really am an advocate of learning music theory and educating yourself, but it just seems dogmatic to say "modes come from pre tonal music and therefore can never be invoked in a tonal context ever." Language exists for communication, and if the concept of modes is a useful shorthand for "a scale with the same notes as would make up Phrygian mode," I don't see an issue. Is anyone really writing Rennaisancestyle-style counterpoint?

Music is a language. That's why theory is only an indication. However, a bird sings different than a tree. Funny? No, I'm serious. They both do sing. The tree needs the wind, but what's the difference? They both produce sound. The facts.

Return to “Music Theory”