TBProAudio releases GainRider, the gain riding plugin for Windows and Mac OS X

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
GainRider

Hi TheoM,

sorry for my limited view on this, you are right. Hardware is limited...

In any case as i said, we are working on a version 2 of GainRider, which should fit much better the requirements.
Last edited by TB-ProAudio on Fri May 06, 2016 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

That's great and it works great in cubase in the meantime which can compensate anything :)

I wasn't at all trying to insult you btw, right now you are one of my favorite devs bevause

- you don't have sales but rather permanent, fair prices (respect!!)

- you're always available to answer questions and be receptive to customers (huge respect!)

- the plugins are actually great. Lax limit is the one that fascinates me right now but it's out of my budget. I'm going for ik stealth instead cause I have credits I pad half price for so it will only cost me $50, but I can never have too many limiters. Will check it out again later in the year. Point is you always make really useful stuff. I'm surprised your compressor is barely talked about here, that's a powerful beast.

Anyway, keep making great plugins!!

TheoM wrote:That's great and it works great in cubase in the meantime which can compensate anything :)
Excellent! Sometimes it is good to have a plan B :D

As said, after polishing dEQ6, we will concentrate on GainRider 2, should take not so long, DSP mock-up is ready.
And thank you for your nice words.

I think I found a new application for GainRider: for auditioning different fader balances of stacked instruments(i.e. 3 layered basses and their relative levels) or different keyboard/guitars going to a group or even complete groups before the mix buss compressor. For example if I want to find out how the mix will sound with louder or quieter drums the mix buss compressor will either be hit harder or the whole mix will be quieter. GainRider can keep everything locked to the target level to keep the sound even before it reaches the mix buss compressor(and any limiters further down the chain).

FilterMode 1, Sensitivity 3 and the EBUR 128 settings worked well for this purpose. Maybe this function can be facilitated further in GainRider 2 or if there are better settings in GainRider 1 than the ones I've used it would be great to know!

Also, instead of keeping the vocal level fixed relative to the music level as was requested earlier, it's also possible to simply mult out the vocal to individual tracks like verse bridge chorus etc. This way no side-chaining is needed as the musical density/loudness of each section won't normally vary too much. Plus of course you can put different EQs on each track rather than using automation for EQ on a single vocal track.

Uncovered Pitch wrote:FilterMode 1, Sensitivity 3 and the EBUR 128 settings worked well for this purpose. Maybe this function can be facilitated further in GainRider 2 or if there are better settings in GainRider 1 than the ones I've used it would be great to know!
Thanks for this. Yes, this how we use it very often in our productions, some kind of "secret weapon" :wink:

Thanks for this. Yes, this how we use it very often in our productions, some kind of "secret weapon" :wink:
Glad to hear you consider this a legitimate technique given that the plugin is being marketed for treating monophonic sources. Speaking of which, I think it would also be great for comping vocal takes to make sure they all have the same loudness before evaluating them.

GainRider II is coming.

Whats New:
- New GUI
- Improved and extended gain riding algorithms
- Adjustable pre-delay, zero delay mode
- 3 Ride Modes:
1) Match main signal loudness with ref level, if main signal is above noise level (Gainriding against reference level)
2) Match main signal loudness with ref level, if control signal is above noise level (Ducking)
3) Match main signal loudness with control signal, if main signal is above noise level (Gainriding against sidechain level)

Great GUI!
Is demo for v2 coming soon?
It's easy if you know how

lesha wrote:Great GUI!
Is demo for v2 coming soon?
Thank you. And yes, demo is coming soon!

Have just downloaded GainRider 2. The new GUI looks great and testing on a lead vocal it sounds slightly more natural(meaning less like a compressor) than GainRider 1 and a lot more natural than another gain riding plugin I own. This means I can use any following compressors just for the colouration and don't need to worry about consonants being clamped down on-great stuff!

The one thing in the new version I'm confused about is this: in the old version the pre-delay function seemed like a lookahead/latency control but now(at least in Logic) it actually affected the timing of the vocal, and the manual seems to confirm this. It is weird though that a gain riding plugin would require me to shift the vocal back in time when it was perfect to begin with. So is this a feature or a bug? For example if you push the control past the mid=point the vocal is really behind and before the mid-point it is early. At zero the timing doesn't seem to be affected but the gain riding isn't as smooth. Strange...

Uncovered Pitch wrote:Have just downloaded GainRider 2. The new GUI looks great and testing on a lead vocal it sounds slightly more natural(meaning less like a compressor) than GainRider 1 and a lot more natural than another gain riding plugin I own. This means I can use any following compressors just for the colouration and don't need to worry about consonants being clamped down on-great stuff!
Thank you for your impressions :)
Uncovered Pitch wrote:The one thing in the new version I'm confused about is this: in the old version the pre-delay function seemed like a lookahead/latency control but now(at least in Logic) it actually affected the timing of the vocal, and the manual seems to confirm this. It is weird though that a gain riding plugin would require me to shift the vocal back in time when it was perfect to begin with. So is this a feature or a bug? For example if you push the control past the mid=point the vocal is really behind and before the mid-point it is early. At zero the timing doesn't seem to be affected but the gain riding isn't as smooth. Strange...
Are you saying your vocal track with GainRider2 is getting out of sync?
Which input mode are you using (INT, SC1, SC2)?
Thank you for your support.

Are you saying your vocal track with GainRider2 is getting out of sync?
Which input mode are you using (INT, SC1, SC2)?
Yes it's out of sync-I'm using the INT mode.

It seems that Logic (and ProTools) has a limit for PDC. We measured something like 370ms, 44.1kHz, ca. 16.000 samples. Every pre-delay value beyond this leads to audible delay.
BTW: works without any issues with VST2/VSt3 in Cubase/Reaper

Yes that makes sense. In the track I was working on about 250ms turned out to be enough to get a good result, so well within the 370ms limit. I managed to have as much pre-delay as I want by putting Latency Fixer before GainRider 2 but I'm not sure how useful this is in the real world.

With a setting of about 50ms and careful tweaking of the sensitivity knob I managed to use GainRider 2 "live" while I was programming sounds and going through presets in Omnisphere 2 which often has large volume jumps between sounds. Deciding whether FM or Ring Modulation sounds better is so much easier when the level is constant. In this it is an ideal companion to AB_LM which then keeps any further treatments on the channel at the same level too!

Uncovered Pitch wrote:Yes that makes sense. In the track I was working on about 250ms turned out to be enough to get a good result, so well within the 370ms limit. I managed to have as much pre-delay as I want by putting Latency Fixer before GainRider 2 but I'm not sure how useful this is in the real world.
Thank you for this info.
So are you saying that you are able to manage GainRider2 pre-delay values beyond 370ms with Latency Fixer plugin?

Return to “Effects”