So now that empirical labs are officially releasing a distressor plugin soon, interested?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

the arousor u mean?

TheoM wrote:the arousor u mean?
Yep. Personally I think it's a ridiculous name.

I don't want something that reminds me of a sex toy every time I use my DAW. Just me though.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

lesha wrote:Btw, I am a member of another audio forum (not warez) where we openly discuss everything and it seems that the new iLok 3 protection has been cracked (I won't tell which software got hit), but still not very successfully.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

I've been following that thread and the whole thing is really strange. First it was pitched, really unambiguously, as a plugin distressor by the people who make the hardware. For $350. Then it turns out to be not a distressor plugin, but something completely different which operates completely differently, but which they say you can get to sound exactly like a distressor except it lacks the opto and brit modes (!!!)

Then the first video drops and it sounds pretty much like anything else. And then a GS mod posts a comparison video with the GS name on it. Oh and why hasn't the whole thread moved to "product releases older than two months?"

A fishy smell

And yes I think the name is embarrasing

murnau wrote:
lesha wrote:Btw, I am a member of another audio forum (not warez) where we openly discuss everything and it seems that the new iLok 3 protection has been cracked (I won't tell which software got hit), but still not very successfully.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Dude, re your sig: is ZPH back somewhere now?

momalle3 wrote:I've been following that thread and the whole thing is really strange. First it was pitched, really unambiguously, as a plugin distressor by the people who make the hardware. For $350. Then it turns out to be not a distressor plugin, but something completely different which operates completely differently, but which they say you can get to sound exactly like a distressor except it lacks the opto and brit modes (!!!)

Then the first video drops and it sounds pretty much like anything else. And then a GS mod posts a comparison video with the GS name on it. Oh and why hasn't the whole thread moved to "product releases older than two months?"

A fishy smell

And yes I think the name is embarrasing
Re the older than two months thing, it has only just been released (if at all actually). The announcement was greater than two months but not the release.

lesha wrote:
TheoM wrote:good luck finding it on warez sites.. the plugin was delayed 5 months so they could re engineer a new ilok protection, the toughest it's ever been. llok 2 took 4 years to crack, i say there won't be any distressor cracks for at least that time.
I don't intend to use warezed versions, a I don't use iLok protected plugins.

Btw, I am a member of another audio forum (not warez) where we openly discuss everything and it seems that the new iLok 3 protection has been cracked (I won't tell which software got hit), but still not very successfully.

funny since no plugins use it yet, the distressor is the first and not out yet.

what forum? if it's not a warez forum there should be no issue saying which one.

TheoM wrote:what forum? if it's not a warez forum there should be no issue saying which one.
It's a Serbian speaking forum, so you wouldn't be able to understand anything anyway. :wink:
It's easy if you know how

TheoM wrote:
lesha wrote:
TheoM wrote:good luck finding it on warez sites.. the plugin was delayed 5 months so they could re engineer a new ilok protection, the toughest it's ever been. llok 2 took 4 years to crack, i say there won't be any distressor cracks for at least that time.

Btw, I am a member of another audio forum (not warez) where we openly discuss everything and it seems that the new iLok 3 protection has been cracked (I won't tell which software got hit), but still not very successfully.

funny since no plugins use it yet, the distressor is the first and not out yet.
he is not talking about plugins, but software :wink:

lesha wrote:

There is no iLok 3 that I know of. Just a update to iLok 2.

iLok 2 wasn't even cracked, it was a software implementation issue that was exploited. It has since been updated, but afaik not every developer has updated.

Robert Randolph wrote: There is no iLok 3 that I know of. Just a update to iLok 2.
right...its called iLok 3 :hihi:

"Empirical Labs Classic Knee Compression in a Plugin… Finally!" They seem to part from the "full Distressor emulation" they talked about on Gearslutz... :?
Maybe they weren't able to nail the HW sound/behaviour and know they can't maintain their bold statement.

Yep. I've got the demo and it sounds good, but not hundreds of dollars better than Disto and Deflector. I think they're going to have to come up with something a lot better than "we'll be adding features and you get free updates till 2020" (a whole 3 and a half years, I guess) as an incentive for early adopters! :?

The name is terrible IMO. They obviously waited until the end before revealing that it wasn't called Distressor, which they obviously knew would be a let-down. How in the world can they justify $350 and also act like they never meant for it to be a SW Distressor? It may have been worth the asking price to some people if it truly could do "everything the Distressor does and more" as they originally claimed.

It does seem like GS has been giving them preferential treatment throughout this 6+ month ordeal. I don't have a Distressor but it seems to be a very well-loved piece of hardware and I respect that. I'm just not going to cream my pants and beg him to take $350 for a plugin (!) because of it.

comfortablynick wrote:Yep. I've got the demo and it sounds good, but not hundreds of dollars better than Disto and Deflector. I think they're going to have to come up with something a lot better than "we'll be adding features and you get free updates till 2020" (a whole 3 and a half years, I guess) as an incentive for early adopters! :?

The name is terrible IMO. They obviously waited until the end before revealing that it wasn't called Distressor, which they obviously knew would be a let-down. How in the world can they justify $350 and also act like they never meant for it to be a SW Distressor? It may have been worth the asking price to some people if it truly could do "everything the Distressor does and more" as they originally claimed.

It does seem like GS has been giving them preferential treatment throughout this 6+ month ordeal. I don't have a Distressor but it seems to be a very well-loved piece of hardware and I respect that. I'm just not going to cream my pants and beg him to take $350 for a plugin (!) because of it.
100% with you. I put it on my drum bus and wasn't impressed at all. It's a great punchy comp plug but it's not worth $349. So much hype for a compressor that's not so special to my ears...I remember hearing a pair of Distressor on a drum bus and this plug is not close to what I felt with the HW. I saw some people having the same feeling on GS too. The saturation is not my cup of tea, sounds like plastic to my ears (but this is completely subjective !). This kind of plug won't make it after the "honeymoon". Dealing with the output gain is a pita by the way...

comfortablynick wrote:Yep. I've got the demo and it sounds good, but not hundreds of dollars better than Disto and Deflector. I think they're going to have to come up with something a lot better than "we'll be adding features and you get free updates till 2020" (a whole 3 and a half years, I guess) as an incentive for early adopters! :?

It's taken it's toll at GS since video demos started yesterday, and there are a fair number of people not that impressed with it, myself included. I compared it to a snare track where I used my single hardware unit...not close. Apparently one can "dial it in" to get that sound with enough time and practice, but that's why the Distressor is so great - it's simple to get dialed quick and produces great results.

I'll take MJUC and Acqua's Pink over this any day, ESPECIALLY at the asking price they're asking.

The attack mod is pretty damn sweet though.

Return to “Effects”