Set master limiter output to.... (-1dB?)

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have the fantastic IKM Stealth Limiter and it's default setting on the output is -0.1dB.

Is this cutting it too close? What's the general wisdom on this? I have heard that -1dB is best as it leaves some headroom for Inter-Sample Peaks... but what if the limiter is catching all of them anyway - can I inch a bit closer to the 0db digital ceiling?

I have also heard that when you are limiting close to 0dB, it actually pushes over into clipping when you convert it to other formats (ie: MP3)... if anyone has some good reading on this subject, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks from a rookie!

there are certain limiters (or clippers) made for putting at the end of a mastering chain that have ISP, intersample peak protection, integrated. in that case you should be safe at 0.0, unless of course if you're going to render that bounce to mp3, as the codec is inherently crappy indeed.

I'm following you - though I guess one should always, always assume that your material will end up in MP3 and most people will hear it that way, atleast initially. So it's a question of how close to 0dB is safest.

Just researching this topic....
http://www.about-audio-mastering-softwa ... r-mp3.html

Normally I set the output of my limiters to -0.3dBFS, though occasionally for soundcloud only masters I might use -1dBFS as I've run into issues with clipping there.

When converting sample rate, to different format etc etc, always expect artifacts that can add 0.1dB or more to original signal.
Personally I keep -0,5dB but there's no one single rule

Tarekith wrote:Normally I set the output of my limiters to -0.3dBFS, though occasionally for soundcloud only masters I might use -1dBFS as I've run into issues with clipping there.
-0.3 dB for me too in 99% of circumstances
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

-0.3 here too. Got into the habit back when mixing was done to DAT.

I have limiter at -0,1db, but it's just for in case that some suprise peak doesn't pop my speakers. Generally my channel volume is so low that there's no need for limiter.

Thanks everyone! I'll stick to -0.5 to -0.3dB from now on.

Return to “Production Techniques”