U-He Hive vs Rob Papen Predator

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hive is remarkably easy to use and very fast. The drag-n-drop modulation (You can modulate just about any parameter including FX), copy/paste of modules, module presets and the mostly all in one interface (only tabs are FX/Arp and the 2 Matrix tabs) make it the fastest GUI for creating sounds that I have used. Hive does not have the most diverse feature-set, but because what is there is so accessible, in practice it leads to a more capable synth than one might expect.

As a simple subtractive that is easy to use and has excellent sound quality, there is nothing better than Hive. Get used to not constantly tabbing around and being able to see almost everything at a glance, and then a lot of other synths feel clunky in comparison.

Maybe not the best time to ask because Jon Ayres is working on Predator2 ;)

Predator needs some GUI overhaul and some features could be implemented a bit better. But the sound is still great and I prefer Predator over Hive. I use Predator often for pads, leads, arps... not so much for plucks or "trancy" sounds.
Hive is easier to use (IMO!) and has a cleaner interface. For people starting with synth programming it's the better option (not to mention Spire, Sylenth etc)

omac wrote:OP, don't go by updates; if a synth can do what you want, then it's a good synth to have. The newest synths will be updated more often and then gradually taper off as the company turns out a newer product. That has always been the way of things. Also, simply because a new feature has been added to many new synths doesn't mean that an older synth can't do the same thing. It may not be called by the same name, but does that matter? It all depends on your use for the synth. Get a synth with 3 oscillators, a sub oscillator, a couple of flavors of noise, 2 filters that can be put in series or parallel, unison and lots of modulation targets and that should be enough (I like some fx too, but quite a few don't, so whatever sounds good to you.

Of course, if you don't intend to program your own patches or prefer to tweak others then you'll want to go with what's popular. However, if you're looking for something nice to program, the aforementioned suggestions will go a long way toward getting a loaded synth to work with that will last for a while.

The third oscillator in addition to a sub oscillator is a little harder to find these days. If you're not doing anything subtly complex then the third oscillator may not be desired. However, if you are trying to program patches such as detailed moving pads with a lot of variety (simulated randomness) you may miss that extra oscillator. Of course, if you have something like Dune 1 or Dune 2 (completely different animals) you can independently program additional oscillators as voices with completely different settings so they're the same as having additional oscillators.
If I wanted to go on the preset/patches route I would definetely pick Sylenth1, so that's not the case :lol:. And yes I agree there are some great older plugins, but Lennar I feel has been kind of lenient on taking user input and trying to implement it into their product (i.e.: a lot of people feel Sylenth's EQ tend to be a little harsh and so far it also has been my experience trying the demo). So I'm not exactly chasing a new VST because it is new and shiny haha. And thanks for the input on the features I should be looking for, very valuable information!

Elektronisch wrote:Every day some one comes with asking for a recommendation wich already was asked a day a month a year ago and probably few times :)

Why people in KVR do not use search or in general google or just listen to both synths and pick the one you like sound more :) KVR is becoming a mess with these topics :)
If you've read my original post until the end you would see I already did my homework on past KVR threads but couldn't get a lot of info about RP's Predator. And yes, of course I'm trying the demos, after all I need to see if I resonate with the VST before I decide to buy it. I was just looking for some more experienced input about the particularities of these two since I'm still a newcomer to synthesis (only 7 months deep) and some of my perceptions could be biased from what I've limitedly managed to do with these 2. But yes, I do understand some people just come here, post and go away to never return, so sorry if I did any unecessary cluttering to the boards (but since this sub-board is dedicated to DISCUSSION I don't see what I did wrong?)

Also, wasn't expecting all these answers in such a short time. Thank you everyone! Will definetely give Dune, Spire and Synthmaster a second look.

Since what I originally asked seems to have been answered (and then some). I'm locking the thread by myself so people won't get any more upset about comparison threads :lol:

Return to “Instruments”