Regarding Daichi Synth1

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Synth1

Hey all,

I'm getting back into Synth1(After about 20 minutes of experience, basically just playing with presets), having heard enough praise about it. I've gone ahead and downloaded a conglomeration of over 100 soundbanks, and after messing with it a while, I have a few questions that I can't seem to solve with Google..

Firstly, and possibly most importantly, the interface. I know of the color switcher, but there's only so much that can do. Is there any way to change things such as the font, the button/knob textures, maybe add a custom background? Maybe I'm just nitpicking, but the flat, early 00s aesthetic with all the abbreviations really gets in the way when it comes time to work on a sound, atleast in my opinion.

Secondly, is there any sort of way to create a favorites list? With so many presets, I'm not going to be able to remember the exact location of the ones I like, and it would be nice to be able to have a list of favorites. Is this possible, or do I have to manually re-export each one?

Lastly - and this is really nitpicking - is there a simple guide for S1, aimed at someone who has no idea what he's doing? :hihi: Maybe something with heavy illustrations?(I'm a highly visual/kinesthetic learner :scared: ) So far the best I've managed to find is this, but I still get lost: http://www.geocities.jp/daichi1969/synm ... meeng.html

(Forgive my noobishness, please, or atleast don't mention anything about it. Having to ask for help with this is embarassing enough. :P )
Nobody, Ever wrote:I have enough plugins.

The answers to your questions, unfortunately, are no, no and not sure. I haven't found a Synth1 tutorial worth spit but that doesn't mean they're not out there. I just dove into it and, falling back on my general knowledge of programming synths, programmed away.

Probably the best thing you can do is take a generic course in synthesizer programming. It should teach you everything you need to know (provided it's a good one) to be able to pick up just about any basic synth and program it. And as synths go, Synth1 is pretty basic.

zenophilix wrote:I have a few questions that I can't seem to solve with Google..

Firstly, and possibly most importantly, the interface. I know of the color switcher, but there's only so much that can do. Is there any way to change things such as the font, the button/knob textures, maybe add a custom background? Maybe I'm just nitpicking, but the flat, early 00s aesthetic with all the abbreviations really gets in the way when it comes time to work on a sound, atleast in my opinion.
A quick google (site:kvraudio.com synth1 AND Skin) gave me this info recently posted:
EvilDragon wrote:There's no way to skin Synth1 in such way. You can only change the colors, and with some resource hacking, the font.
viewtopic.php?p=6409595

wagtunes wrote:The answers to your questions, unfortunately, are no, no and not sure. I haven't found a Synth1 tutorial worth spit but that doesn't mean they're not out there. I just dove into it and, falling back on my general knowledge of programming synths, programmed away.

Probably the best thing you can do is take a generic course in synthesizer programming. It should teach you everything you need to know (provided it's a good one) to be able to pick up just about any basic synth and program it. And as synths go, Synth1 is pretty basic.
Shoot. I guess I'll keep searching in terms of tutorials.

As for programming, I have a decent idea of general sound design, oscillators, lfos, filters, etc, and how to use them. It's just that Synth1 makes them damn near impossible to use.(Or maybe I'm just a terrible person. :lol: )
Numanoid wrote:
zenophilix wrote:I have a few questions that I can't seem to solve with Google..

A quick google (site:<span class="skimlinks-unlinked">kvraudio.com</span> synth1 AND Skin) gave me this info recently posted:
EvilDragon wrote:There's no way to skin Synth1 in such way. You can only change the colors, and with some resource hacking, the font.
<span class="skimlinks-unlinked">viewtopic.php?p=6409595</span>
Oops. I always forget to use the site: tag... :scared: Appreciate the help, though. Now I need to go learn how to code and ask the creator if I can recreate Synth1 with a better GUI. :lol:

Good thing you settled for one synth now. Believe me, nothing worse to get through hundreds of synths. It's a waste of time. Rather learn one inside out, and then maybe go payware, because most of them sound better anyway.

chk071 wrote:Good thing you settled for one synth now. Believe me, nothing worse to get through hundreds of synths. It's a waste of time. Rather learn one inside out, and then maybe go payware, because most of them sound better anyway.
What makes you think I've settled on one synth?

You didn't? Well, that's a shame.

chk071 wrote:You didn't? Well, that's a shame.
Really? I find that my musical creativity is improved by keeping the synthesizers fresh. Not everyone has the same workflow.

Maybe, but with loads of stuff, you will hardly scratch the surface on each one.

chk071 wrote:Maybe, but with loads of stuff, you will hardly scratch the surface on each one.
Not planing on having loads of stuff, and that's a bit rude, what makes you think I'm unable to delve deeper into their respective capabilities?

zenophilix wrote:
chk071 wrote:Maybe, but with loads of stuff, you will hardly scratch the surface on each one.
Not planing on having loads of stuff, and that's a bit rude, what makes you think I'm unable to delve deeper into their respective capabilities?
A lot of people here think that if you own more than one synth that you can't master them all. I own over 80 and have mastered them all. Of course I've been doing this for over 40 years too, but one takes their own experience and abilities and projects them on others. So if they can't master more than one synth, nobody else can.

wagtunes wrote:
zenophilix wrote:
A lot of people here think that if you own more than one synth that you can't master them all. I own over 80 and have mastered them all. Of course I've been doing this for over 40 years too, but one takes their own experience and abilities and projects them on others. So if they can't master more than one synth, nobody else can.
Ah. Thanks. :)

My experience is that using Synth1 with a range of modulation
and amp-sim effects, is like finding a pirates treasure when making
a sand castle at the beach.

Later, or as budget allows, get Reaktor (user library/parallel universe of ensembles)
a U-he synth or three, and a $99 midi keyboard bundled with SampleTank 3,
and you'll die happily, while still having left behind unexploited sounds
for future zenophilixi to discover/create.

Throw in some of the now free Ugo and Algomusic synths (Tim Conrardy
sound designs, in quite a few cases) and you'll discover a master's sonic versatility
to enjoy, and reverse engineer.

Some high-gain LePou ampsims, and TSE stomps, along with the
BlueCat and Melda effects collections, will do wonders
for what some scoff at as paltry freeware instruments.
And of course apply their magic to great commercial instruments
as they are found in your budget. :party:
Cheers

glokraw wrote:My experience is that using Synth1 with a range of modulation
and amp-sim effects, is like finding a pirates treasure when making
a sand castle at the beach.

Later, or as budget allows, get Reaktor (user library/parallel universe of ensembles)
a U-he synth or three, and a $99 midi keyboard bundled with SampleTank 3,
and you'll die happily, while still having left behind unexploited sounds
for future zenophilixi to discover/create.

Throw in some of the now free Ugo and Algomusic synths (Tim Conrardy
sound designs, in quite a few cases) and you'll discover a master's sonic versatility
to enjoy, and reverse engineer.

Some high-gain LePou ampsims, and TSE stomps, along with the
BlueCat and Melda effects collections, will do wonders
for what some scoff at as paltry freeware instruments.
And of course apply their magic to great commercial instruments
as they are found in your budget. :party:
Cheers
It's been fun so far. Something still feels missing though... Maybe it's just me.

Reaktor would be a ton of fun, but I think I'm going to use my budget for Synthmaster 2, as it seems to be more applicable to my uses. I've considered Sylenth, Spire, Dune2, Massive, etc. if you happen to have seen my other massive thread. Zebra2 and Hive are definitely on the list in future, however. :phones: Already have a MIDI keyboard, Yamaha DX-11 with some broken keys and a dead battery that my father used to use.(He's incredibly talented, but sadly he hasn't made anything in a long time, and I've adopted most of his old gear for the time being.) You're actually the 4th person to suggest I purchase a MIDI keyboard. :P

Maybe I should change my alias to zenophilixi now. :lol:

Never heard of those two, commencing google! :tu: (Jeez, lotsa goodies. :P )

Amp simulators with synthesizers? Huh. Never thought of doing that actually, I usually just use them for the occasional guitar track and adding a breakbeat feel to my hiphop tracks. :o

Thanks for the reply! :)

The midi keyboard I suggested mainly for the Sampletank bundle, which would
get you a trove of real instruments (and excellent effects on them)
to augment your synths. And since your DX is on old legs, makes even more sense.
Plus a 37 key travels nicely when sitting in on sessions.
The Algo/Ugo/Melda/BlueCat items are freeware, and many...Synthmaster is a jewel,
no doubt, with good options and frequent sales.

Maybe your dad could refresh the old creativity, if exposed to
some vst magic?
Cheers

Return to “Instruments”