Another One Knob Mastering Plugin

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Sparky77 wrote:It does look intriguing, I hope its not difficult to demo.
You need an iLok account and the Pace software installed (not an actual iLok), but other than that, very easy to demo.
MogwaiBoy wrote:I am really loving Softube's Drawmer. Sounds cliche but it just makes everything sound better. My favourite compressor plugin by far, and I suspect this is not simply the honeymoon phase talkin' :)
Yeah, I'm really like this plugin - very easy to use and makes stuff sound good. Drums sound tighter, the bass is punchier and guitars have less boom. The trick is reducing the Amount and/or the Wet/Dry mix to the point where stuff sounds better but not over-processed. For a plugin that has the word "Master" in it, I find it works best on anything other than mastering - individual tracks and busses specifically. Plus you can chain them if necessary.
A bit fried in the higher freqs

Ok, finally had a chance to demo this plugin. Instant gratification. I tried it on one track that I would classify as "final mix" (well, as much as my talent allows) with relatively punchy bass and good overall balance... S73 just simply kicked it up a notch. Small doses is all it took... particularly the "clarity 1" and "neutral" presets in the 10% - 30% range on the dial, mix knob at 75%-100% wet, depending on the preset. Air switch on clarity 1 was a bit much, but worked very well on neutral. Played a bit with the punchy bass preset, which I can see working well in situations (but not this one). Similarly, clarity 2 was a bit hyped on this track, but can hear what it's doing. Did not like spatial presets at all, again at least on this track. Depending on the preset things start getting pretty compressed when you start getting in the 50%+ range on the dial... of course everything's dependent on the source material... The nice thing is the mix knob, which IMO really saves the day as it provides that little bit of added flexibility to really dial things in. One of the presets I set the amount at 10%, air on, and mix at about 80% wet and the difference was night and day. S73 is much more flexible than the waves plug at literally half the price. Oh, and I appreciate the handful of samples latency versus 3000 or whatever on the other one, which means I can track with it if I have to.

Overall... instant buy for me, esp. at the low low audiodeluxe price of 55 smackeroonies. :tu:

EDIT: one demerit for that kitchen sink installer. No sir, I do not like that.
You need to limit that rez, bro.

S73 is cool!

Back onto this Waves Mixcentric thing. What's the deal with this plugin? On the surface it seems like such a gimmick/blunt instrument, but I have seen hardcore skeptics (like on Gearslutz threads) convinced of its merits after demo'ing it.

So what's it doing? Parallel EQ, multiband compression, harmonic excitement etc?

Soundgoodizer is considered a shameful joke by most but essentially it's just fixed bands/presets from Maximus - and actually can be useful in small doses or perfect for the right kind of material.

It's a useful tool, I got it free because focusrite. The fact is has a mix-knob does actually make it useful on the master if you use it lightly IMO. Depends on the source material. I'm more interested in it's bigger brother.
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

Aiynzahev wrote:It's a useful tool, I got it free because focusrite. The fact is has a mix-knob does actually make it useful on the master if you use it lightly IMO. Depends on the source material. I'm more interested in it's bigger brother.
Sorry I meant Waves Greg Wells Mixcentric, not Softube Drawmer S73. Sorry for the confusion :)

I got S73 free too as it was added to the existing Focusrite plugin bundle. S73 is limited but behaves well and sounds great (if you go easy on the Air control).

Return to “Effects”