Using physical objects and transducers to colour sound

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Article I just wrote with pics & sound:

https://aavepyora.net/2016/05/02/aavepy ... l-filters/

To make it short: run synths through real objects with transducers, and record the sound!

This is fast becoming my favourite trick, it can radically transform the timbre of any sound, without breaking it in anyway like many effects do.

https://soundcloud.com/haltiamieli/phys ... s-tutorial

if you're lazy about cables, convolution (or other spectral resynthesis). or cables if you're lazy about convolution :)

"yes musique concrete really is something more" as a person who has, for theoretics, remained a synthesis purist for many years, my timbres are relatively boring.

eg. "windowlicker" nicely demonstrates digitally processed acoustic sounds to add timbral depth/interest to something that seems synthetic in the forefront.
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

Convolution is static, I don't like it too much, but of course is 1000x faster. Also you could not replicate that effect where the waterphone is moved, and the sound starts to bend...

Well actually there was that one VST that used pre-captured dynamic impulses, I never tried it. The name escapes me now. I guesd it must work with a "round robin" sequence of impulses? They did not reveal the process, and you could not make your own.

One option I tried for something very similar is Zynaptiq Morph. It can do wonderful stuff! I always wait their next product with great interest. With Morph there can be life in the imprinting of the sound unlike with convolution.
Last edited by Taika-Kim on Tue May 03, 2016 5:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

That's a fun idea! Time to start shopping for transducers...
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Taika-Kim wrote:Also you could not replicate that effect where the waterphone is moved, and the sound starts to bend...
hush, one can see this rapidly becoming some new trend in physical effects.. fins, wiggly antenna with things on the end, springs.. ;) gosh i hope they build recycled......

..then they'll want dsp models of all this bendy stuff..
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

deastman wrote:That's a fun idea! Time to start shopping for transducers...
Piezos. Buy a bunch, can be used to make up a batch of DIY contact mics(*), or, in conjunction with some cheap transformers, as transducers.

http://www.nicolascollins.com/hackingtutorial06.htm

Hook one up either end of a slinky; one as a transducer, one as a mic. Instant lo-tech spring reverb.

(*) And see http://www.nicolascollins.com/hackingtutorial05.htm for the best piezo mic 'recipe' you'll find.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

:tu:
Sounds and presets for UVI Falcon "Iterata X".
Bazille soundset - Crystalline Textures 3.

Piezos are cheap, but don´t they have usually a quite narrow frequency resoponse? Also one cheap option is to check your guitar tuner, some come with a contact mic that people tend to forget. Altough at least the ones I have, cut the low end quite steeply.

xoxos wrote:
Taika-Kim wrote:Also you could not replicate that effect where the waterphone is moved, and the sound starts to bend...
hush, one can see this rapidly becoming some new trend in physical effects.. fins, wiggly antenna with things on the end, springs.. ;) gosh i hope they build recycled......

..then they'll want dsp models of all this bendy stuff..
:D Idea for the next developer compo. "Physically modelled thing on a spring on a slinky with antennas"!

Taika-Kim wrote:Piezos are cheap, but don´t they have usually a quite narrow frequency resoponse? Also one cheap option is to check your guitar tuner, some come with a contact mic that people tend to forget. Altough at least the ones I have, cut the low end quite steeply.
Its an impedance thing. I find the easiest workaround is to run them into a Hi-Z input meant for a guitar.

http://www.musicofsound.co.nz/blog/the- ... t-mic-club
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Hmm OK maybe that helps. I have a preamp designed for contacts especially, I sill recall that the tuner mics cut the bottom a lot, I would suspect they're designed like that so that nothing is recorded below the lowest E...

I also have some piezoelectric tape laying around, I should play with that too (but I have been too lazy to solder a jack to it), I think it could create a more balanced sound, since it covers a bigger part of the item surface. The K&K Twin Spot mics are very small, and depending on which mode´s vibrational pattern they happen to be placed on, the sound will be different I suspect, altough I didn´t do so systematic testing.

Return to “Sound Design”